1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jan '14 22:48
    Let's all pray for more global warming. People are freezing to death and farmers are worried about their strawberries freezing. I saw it on the news.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/01/06/3121771/cold-homelessness-public-health/

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120103/ARTICLE/120109898#gsc.tab=0
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '14 23:031 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Let's all pray for more global warming. People are freezing to death and farmers are worried about their strawberries freezing. I saw it on the news.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/01/06/3121771/cold-homelessness-public-health/

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120103/ARTICLE/120109898#gsc.tab=0
    First off global warming IS happening and doesn't prevent regional extreme cold events... It just makes them rarer.

Presently while you might be cold we are unseasonably mild... if extremely wet and windy.

Also, while global warming makes extreme cold events rarer... It makes extreme heat events more common...
    and they are far harder to deal with.

Heat is much easier to make and trap than to pump out, so heating uses less energy than air-con.
    Cold can be dealt with by dressing appropriately, but there is a limit to how many clothes you can take off...

Their have been deaths from this rare cold blast... There have been more from recent heat waves.

Climate change, including droughts and extreme heat, also impacts crops and food production... And does more
    damage than a cold snap does.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/01/07/extreme_cold_is_better_than_extreme_heat.html

.... It is very cold today in Washington, D.C., as it is in much of the country. Unpleasantly so. I am not one of those people here to tell you about how if you think this is cold, you should try January in Burlington, Vt. But I am here with this message. As unpleasant as extreme cold can be, it is much much much less bothersome than extreme heat.

The crucial issue is clothing and adaptability. I went out today wearing a warm hat and warm gloves and a scarf. I had four layers on my torso. I wore some corduroy pants, a warm pair of socks, and some boots. All things considered, I was pretty comfortable. Don't get me wrong, not as comfortable as I am on a nice 72 degree day. I am very glad that D.C. winters don't normally get this cold. Still, I survived.

Contrast that with a very hot and humid day of the sort that we regularly experience in the summertime here and elsewhere in much of the country.

A T-shirt and shorts may be comfortable at 85 degrees. But then what about 95 degrees? What about the occasional day when it's 102? You run out of options fast. And even shorts and a T-shirt only get you so far. If your agenda for the day involve a friend's wedding, a business meeting, or even a nice dinner than you're out of luck. Doomed. ......

EDIT: also if rick perry has taught anyone anything... it's that praying for weather doesn't work.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jan '14 23:562 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    First off global warming IS happening and doesn't prevent regional extreme cold events... It just makes them rarer.

Presently while you might be cold we are unseasonably mild... if extremely wet and windy.

Also, while global warming makes extreme cold events rarer... It makes extreme heat events more common...
    and they are far harder to deal with ...[text shortened]... IT: also if rick perry has taught anyone anything... it's that praying for weather doesn't work.
    From what I have seen of European weather it appears to rain a lot over there. But it seemed to dry quick because there was no real big downpours. Maybe, I was just in the wrong area, but there was never a hot day there in over four years. No need for central air conditioners there.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 00:01
    From what I have seen of European weather it appears to rain a lot over there. But it seemed to dry quick because there was no real big downpours. Maybe, I was just in the wrong area, but there was never a hot day there in over four years.
    European weather???

Europe isn't a country it's a continent.

It has continental climates, temperate climates, Arctic climates, Mediterranean climates...

There is no such thing as 'European' weather.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 00:551 edit
    European weather???

Europe isn't a country it's a continent.

It has continental climates, temperate climates, Arctic climates, Mediterranean climates...

There is no such thing as 'European' weather.
    I was not just referring to a specific country in European. But I was only stationed in Belgium, and Germany. However, I traveded as far north as Oslo, Norway on inspection trips. A Bristish officer, who was stationed there in Norway, invited us over to his place. His wife served us a sampling of more types of cheeses than I thought existed. Only traveled to England by way of Heathrow Airport on my way back to the United States.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 02:06
    I was not just referring to a specific country in [Europe]. But I was only stationed in Belgium, and Germany. However, I traveded as far north as Oslo, Norway on inspection trips. A Bristish officer, who was stationed there in Norway, invited us over to his place. His wife served us a sampling of more types of cheeses than I thought existed. Only traveled to England by way of Heathrow Airport on my way back to the United States.
    Fine... But that still doesn't mean there is such a thing as European Weather.

Europe is a place in the same way that Asia is a place.

It's a geopolitical region, not a country. And it's far to big and diverse to have
    only one climate.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 03:57
    Fine... But that still doesn't mean there is such a thing as European Weather.

Europe is a place in the same way that Asia is a place.

It's a geopolitical region, not a country. And it's far to big and diverse to have
    only one climate.
    Alrighty then.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 18:16
    Alrighty then.
    And on top of all that, global warming has been proven to be A: happening and B: caused by the activity of mankind.

It is people like you who will stop work to slow down global warming.

It is people like you who will lead to the end of the civilization of mankind when billions start starving a hundred years from now.

You think the depression years in the US were bad? Wait till global warming takes full hold of Earth. Humans will lose big time and die in the billions.

New religions will form, the old ones dying a well deserved death. That is MY fervent wish.

Religions based on reason not blind faith where you have to give up your right to think for yourself to be part of these cursed religions extant on Earth now.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 23:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And on top of all that, global warming has been proven to be A: happening and B: caused by the activity of mankind.

It is people like you who will stop work to slow down global warming.

It is people like you who will lead to the end of the civilization of mankind when billions start starving a hundred years from now.

You think the depression years ...[text shortened]... ve up your right to think for yourself to be part of these cursed religions extant on Earth now.
    We have true Christianity now which is based on reasonable faith.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 13:05
    We have true Christianity now which is based on reasonable faith.
    Good luck with that one when your great grandkids start starving because we have problems growing corn and wheat.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 17:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Good luck with that one when your great grandkids start starving because we have problems growing corn and wheat.
    I believe if we plant and harvest our corn and wheat the good old fashion biblical way, we will have plenty of corn and wheat to eat. All these new so-called scientific ways is what is going to cause the problems.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 17:14
    I believe if we plant and harvest our corn and wheat the good old fashion biblical way, we will have plenty of corn and wheat to eat. All these new so-called scientific ways is what is going to cause the problems.
    Then you know nothing about farming.

Without modern scientific farming methods half the world would have starved to death by now.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 17:23
    Reveal Hidden Content
    to be read with a tone of disgusting levels of sarcasm
    oh yes, because they never had problems growing crops in the iron age.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 04:03
    Then you know nothing about farming.

Without modern scientific farming methods half the world would have starved to death by now.
    Does this include Monsanto genetic engineering?

Through their meddling, I predict that one day there will be worldwide famine, even in the midst of record crop yields, due to crops being made completely void of nutrition. Or what nutrition they still have would be offset by the horrific consequences of eating the genetically modified foods.

Maybe this is what one type of 'mark of the beast' will eventually be. We will not be able to buy or sell food without the mark, because the mark will be IN the food.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 04:05
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    [hidden]to be read with a tone of disgusting levels of sarcasm[/hidden]oh yes, because they never had problems growing crops in the iron age.
    We didn't have Monsanto cornering the food market in the iron age, either.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree