1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 14:55
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Pascal's wager.
    An age-old wager. Lets see if we get the age-old ejection seat...
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 16:23
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b]I do not rule out the very slight chance that I could be wrong and that god might exist after all.

I would just like to know what your take is on this one:

If it were to happen that God does not exist, what would the consequences be on the theist? And, if it were to happen that God does exist, what would the consequences be on the atheist? How would these two sets of consequences compare with one another?[/b]
    Lucifershammer is right, this is what is known as Pascal's Wager. I'm not going to take the time to refute the wager for you. You can read about it, and criticisms of it, at Wikipedia.com if you really want to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_wager
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 23:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well then, give me the 50 cent tour. I certainly don't claim to be
    an expert on Atheism, just what I read in the comics🙂
    it looks like rwingett has already done a good job breaking it down. if atheists are ice-cream, they are not all vanilla, not all chocolate; they come in all sorts of flavors. the only sweeping generalization you can make about the atheist is that he lacks belief in a god or gods.

there are weak, strong, implicit, explicit, critical atheists, and so forth and so on. why society wants to pigeon-hole all atheists as strong atheists is beyond me. i consider the strong atheist to be on no surer footing than the theist. your remarks before were clearly aimed at the strong atheist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree