1. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:221 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    You did not address my question. And no, interbreeding was not possible, as Neanderthal DNA is more different from ours than we are from modern chimpanzees. Would you like to try again?
    Actually, you've just made a demonstrably false statement. I direct you to a National Geographic article from the late 1990s on the subject; although my NGs are about 3500 miles away currently if reminded I will quote it when I get home this weekend.

I was not addressing your question; merely pointing out a factual error.

Actually, I can't be bothered to find your actual position on the subject, but if you literally believe the earth to have been created 6 000 or so years ago, and are also making claims about Neanderthals, you're in a bit of a mess.
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:39
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Actually, you've just made a demonstrably false statement. I direct you to a National Geographic article from the late 1990s on the subject; although my NGs are about 3500 miles away currently if reminded I will quote it when I get home this weekend.

Actually, I can't be ...[text shortened]... 000 or so years ago, and are also making claims about Neanderthals, you're in a bit of a mess.

Royalchicken is coming home this weekend and some people are wondering when life began ...... It will of course begin this weekend .... America watch out ....... 😀
  3. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:00

Actually, I can't be ...[text shortened]... 000 or so years ago, and are also making claims about Neanderthals, you're in a bit of a mess.
    If it is demonstratable, then do so please. Then I will demonstrate findings from after the late 1990's.

I do not believe adamantly that the earth was created 6000 years ago, as it is not a salvation issue. In fact, I'm leaning more towards evolution, but I believe it is quite clear that man was created directly by God, in the image of Neanderthals, but with a soul, as is made clear by the two different words for "make" in Genesis. The first means to mold something already existent and the second means to create something out of nothing.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:07
    If it is demonstratable, then do so please. Then I will demonstrate findings from after the late 1990's.

How about you just give us the scientific article now and spare RC
    from having to flip through all his NGs?

I do not believe adamantly that the earth was created 6000 years ago, as it is not a salvation issue. In fact, I'm leaning more towards evolution, but I believe it is quite clear that man was created directly by God, in the image of Neanderthals, but with a soul, as is made clear by the two different words for "make" in Genesis. The first means to mold something already existent and the second means to create something out of nothing.

The two different and irreconcilable stories in Genesis come from the
    fact that two different Jewish traditions were brought together after the
    accounts were coined (the Yahwehists and Elohists).

Nemesio
  5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:08

I do not believe adamantly that the earth was created 6000 years ago, as it is not a salvation issue. In fact, I'm leaning more towards evolution, but I believe it is quite clear that man was created directly by God, in the image of Neanderthals, b ...[text shortened]... eans to mold something already existent and the second means to create something out of nothing.
    From www.answers.com:

"Homo sapiens (hoh-moh say-pee-uhnz)

The biological classification of modern humans. Homo sapiens is Latin for “the wise human” or “the clever human.” The earliest Homo sapiens was Neanderthal, who developed about 150,000 years ago. Sometimes modern humans are further classified into the subspecies of Homo sapiens neanderthalis (Neanderthals) and Homo sapiens sapiens (Cro-Magnons and present-day humans). (See Linnean classification.) "

Remember that two organisms are members of the same species if and only if they can interbreed. Thus Neanderthals were human.
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:13
    Remember that two organisms are members of the same species if and only if they can interbreed. Thus Neanderthals were human.
    I thought organisms are the members of the same species if
    they can interbreed and have viable offspring (i.e., offspring
    which themselves can reproduce).

In unsureship,
    Nemesio
  7. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:29
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I thought organisms are the members of the same species if
    they can interbreed and have viable offspring (i.e., offspring
    which themselves can reproduce).

In unsureship,
    Nemesio
    That's what I mean by interbreed. I count mules as the product of bestiality 😉.

Now Darfius, please respond, because this is cutting into my sin time. I should be drinking, having premarital sex and taking Ja's name in vain right now.
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:56
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    [b]If it is demonstratable, then do so please. Then I will demonstrate findings from after the late 1990's.

How about you just give us the scientific article now and spare RC
    from having to flip through all his NGs?

I do not believe adamantly that the earth was created 6000 years ago, as it is not a salvat ...[text shortened]... were brought together after the
    accounts were coined (the Yahwehists and Elohists).

Nemesio
    That is entirely false. Do you have ANY support for this? And irreconcilable? PROOF, Nemesio. We require PROOF of outlandish assertions.
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 23:00
    That's what I mean by interbreed. I count mules as the product of bestiality 😉.

Now Darfius, please respond, because this is cutting into my sin time. I should be drinking, having premarital sex and taking Ja's name in vain right now.
    http://www.jqjacobs.net/anthro/paleo/neanderthal.html

Can someone tell me who our ancestors are???
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 23:14
    That is entirely false. Do you have ANY support for this? And irreconcilable? PROOF, Nemesio. We require PROOF of outlandish assertions.
    There is a lot of evidence, Darfius. Do a google search on
    Yahwehist and Elohist and Genesis. It is clear that the Penteteuch
    is largely the product of four different Hebrew traditions (Yahwehist,
    Elohist, Priestly, and Deuteronomic sources).

In the face of all this evidence, it is what I choose to believe about
    the way in which the Torah was constructed. You can believe whatever
    magic theory you want.

As for the two stories being irreconcilable, anyone with 2nd-grade
    reading comprehension should be to recognize that the two stories are
    totally different. Consider, for example, in the first story, the
    vegetation was 'made' on the 'third day' (cf., Gen 1:11-13) and
    humankind on the sixth (cf., Gen 1:26-31); in the second story,
    (Gen 2:4-7) reads, 'At teh time when the Lord God made the earth
    and the heavens -- while as yet there was no field shrub on earth
    and no grass of the field had sprouted
    ...the Lord God formed man
    our of the clay of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of
    life, and so man became a living being.'

That would be PROOF, as you say, that the two stories are not
    reconcilable.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree