1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 03:44
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Have you researched any of the prophesies from the Vedas, or the Mahabharata or Ramayana? Of course not. Yet you take yourself to be qualified to hold forth on the prophetic success of other religions.
    In fairness to Master Checkbaiter, he never held himself as an authority. He shrewdly copied and pasted some one else's work. You have to admire that kind of scholarship. Only dj2becker possesses a finer grasp of the C&P technique.
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 03:48
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    He will have to be much better than Houdini....🙂
    Master C Baiter, I warn you not to taunt Nemesio. With or without the Magic Decoder Ring, you have no chance of holding your own against him when it comes to discussing the Bible or xtian church history.
  3. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 04:21
    Originally posted by telerion
    Master C Baiter, I warn you not to taunt Nemesio. With or without the Magic Decoder Ring, you have no chance of holding your own against him when it comes to discussing the Bible or xtian church history.
    An echo of this for checkbaiter's benefit ; Nemesio will chew you up and spit you out . You have been warned .

To the point - I think bbarr touched on it earlier : You have made no case for a "track record" as you call it . I can say I went to Vegas and predicted drawing on an inside straight in 1982 , won , and am therefore a prophet or am somehow pyschic . But few would believe me , even if that one event were true . If I had predicted similar outcomes in other games of chance 100 times but was wrong 99 times , and only reported the one success then I would be a fraud even though the one came out as predicted . Religious history has a way of only remembering the successes of prophesies .

I think of it as the "dolphin principle" . You hear of people lost at sea , adrift who are pushed towards land by dolphins . They take this as proof that dolphins are benevolent and save people . But what if dolphins push peple in random directions of the compass for their own amusement ? That would mean that 3 of every 4 people pushed by dolphins are not pushed towards land , but are pushed away from land (or parallel to it , which is of no help) to drown . You don't hear much from those people .
    How many people have declared "God spoke to me and told me from my seed will come a mighty nation" , only to have the equivilant of the cross town bus run them over a week later ? Again , you don't hear much about those guys .
    If I predict that on June 3rd , 2006 , I will go to Vegas and draw a 3 to fill an inside straight ; and it happens - that's prophecy coming true . If I do it on a regular basis with little or no failure (with documentation) , I'm a prophet .
    I don't see an instance where the bible directly prophesed anything .
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 04:41
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    An echo of this for checkbaiter's benefit ; Nemesio will chew you up and spit you out . You have been warned .

To the point - I think bbarr touched on it earlier : You have made no case for a "track record" as you call it . I can say I went to Vegas and predicted drawing on an inside straight in 1982 , won , and am therefore a prophet or am somehow ...[text shortened]... ion) , I'm a prophet .
    I don't see an instance where the bible directly prophesed anything .
    One rec purely for the "dolphin principle", which I am going to steal and use in my introductory classes on critical reasoning.
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 05:14
    The bible has been revised, added to, parts deleted, all 1000 years AFTER the creation of Christianity.
    Even the book of Rev was believed to be the Second Coming of Nero (re-incarnation).
    Over 2000 years and only a miniscule number of these "predictions" can even be loosely interpreted as having happened at all.
    Read Nostradamus.

In Love there is Life
    Angela

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree