1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 00:28
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    What's doing the work of the adversary?
    In spiritual terms it's God's plan vs. Satan's plan. It's the battle of the ages going on all around us in the spiritual realm.
    One is either in the family of God or is blinded by Satan.
    Christians that are unfamiliar with "sound doctrine" can inadvertently play into the tricks of the devil. It happens everyday.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 01:17
    Originally posted by josephw

Christians that are unfamiliar with "sound doctrine" can inadvertently play into the tricks of the devil. It happens everyday.
    Could this happen to you?
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 03:15
    Yes I knew that. That's what I mean when I said all I know about science I learned in high school.

There are many scientists that believe in God, but there seems to be a disproportional number of atheist/evolutionists as scientist.

Here's a question that may appear to be unrelated.
    Have you ever considered that Christians are perfectly capable of doing the work of the adversary? And in fact are?
    Why are atheists and "evolutionists" equal to you?

Spirituality, fine. God, fine. But it cannot contradict the physical evidence. Evolution isn't "just an idea", it is real. Theists have to learn to live with it - God apparently has.
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 11:45
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Out of curiosity, do you think that QM is at all relevant to the sort of questions that arise in the Spirituality forum?
    I think it is relevant in the sense that people around here discuss it a lot. But if you mean that it is relevant in the sense that QM has something to say about ethics, God, religion I don't belive it is. Those are different realms of human endeavour and should be seen as such. People that mix them either know a lot or know too little.
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 12:17
    Wave functions are descriptions of physical systems. These descriptions contain lists of the possible values of some parameter of the system measurement may reveal. These "eigenvalues" are indexed to probabilities understood in a metaphysical rather than epistemic sense (since Schrodinger's wave equation, which governs wave functions, is supposed to be a com ...[text shortened]... n a definite eigenstate corresponding to one of the eigenvalues found in the wave function.
    The phrase contains lists is somewhat innacurate. The wave function permit us to calculate average values of quantities that are of physical interest. You do that by calculating integrals of the appropriate operator that represents the dynamical quantity in question.

The wave collapse question is a touchy one and not all physicists belive in it. If you seen the lecture I posted till the end you'd know that Sidney Coleman is such a person. And if more knowlegable persons on QM than you and me think so I think that we should not be dogmatic about it.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 18:25
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Could this happen to you?
    Of course! Do you think I think I'm smarter than the devil?
    Without sound doctrine anyone can be fooled into thinking they are doing the work of God, but are in fact are working against God by teaching and preaching lies.
    Last night at about 2 am my wife and I were called to the hospital where my daughter was having our 2nd grandson. While I was waiting around I went into the visitors room and turned on the TV. There it was, some preacher woman railing on about anything and everything but not a word from the Bible. There were at least a couple of thousand in the audience clapping and laughing all the while. It was a joke. Pure entertainment for a bunch of sheep.
    Quite frankly most of what I see out there in Christendom is garbage. And I'm not afraid to say so.
    Any Christian faith not built on sound doctrine is worthless.

"According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon."
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 18:46
    In spiritual terms it's God's plan vs. Satan's plan. It's the battle of the ages going on all around us in the spiritual realm.
    One is either in the family of God or is blinded by Satan.
    I'm not in the family of God so I suppose I'm blinded by Satan.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 19:17
    The argument that this is only a public forum and people can speculate is wrong.
    Utter rubbish.

I'll speculate when I bloody well want to.
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 19:17
    The phrase contains lists is somewhat innacurate. The wave function permit us to calculate average values of quantities that are of physical interest. You do that by calculating integrals of the appropriate operator that represents the dynamical quantity in question.

The wave collapse question is a touchy one and not all physicists belive in it. If y ...[text shortened]... legable persons on QM than you and me think so I think that we should not be dogmatic about it.
    Sure, there need not be a collapse, there could just be the results of measurement where the results of measurement are explained stochastically. The Many-Worlds or Many-Minds hypothesis could be correct, after all. If Bell is wrong, there could be some hidden variable theory. The whole notion of a collapse raises the so-called "measurement problem", and seems to entail a sharp distinction between quantum and classical systems (even though Schrodinger's equation is supposed to completely describe the evolution of any physical system).
  10. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 19:25
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Utter rubbish.

I'll speculate when I bloody well want to.
    Of course you will. You're free to do it but you will be taken as a fool also!
    😛
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 19:30
    Sure, there need not be a collapse, there could just be the results of measurement where the results of measurement are explained stochastically. The Many-Worlds or Many-Minds hypothesis could be correct, after all. If Bell is wrong, there could be some hidden variable theory. The whole notion of a collapse raises the so-called "measurement problem", and se ...[text shortened]... rodinger's equation is supposed to completely describe the evolution of any physical system).
    How would you explain the results of the measuremnt stochastically? The Schroedinger equation completely determines the time evolution of a quantum system if the system is left by itself. When you do a measurement you are not letting the system freely evolve in time so there's no surprise that the SE doesn't apply.

Sydney on the lecture doesn't mention any hidden variables but he doesn't trust on the wave collapse argument. So I think that it isn't just one thing or the other. I didn't fully follow his reasoning but like I said if a guy that knows QM says that he has valid reasons for doing so. Either that or he turned into somekind of crackpot.
  12. Bartow, FL
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 21:15
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

Spirituality, fine. God, fine. But it cannot contradict the physical evidence. Evolution isn't "just an idea", it is real. Theists have to learn to live with it - God apparently has.
    I am personnaly a theistic-evolutionist. Now, I am a born-again Christian and try to live my life in accordance with God's will.

Theistic-evolution is believing that God created all things, including the process of evolution.

The reason I believe this is because God doesn't lie. For there to be dinosaur bones in the ground from x-million years ago, they had to have once been running around. If they weren't, if God created the earth with the bones already in it, it would be Him creating a lie.

For instance, if I tell you that North is that way, but then create a big sign point that North is this other direction.

For those who believe that the earth is only 5000 or so years old, I cannot think of a reasonable explination for the bones of dinosaurs. They weren't put then by man, because noone could have fabricated the skulls with the technology they had. They couldn't be only 5000 years old because carbon-dating is a proven accurate method and we would have written accounts of the dinosoaurs. Satan didn't put the bones there because he's not the creator.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 21:22
    I'm not in the family of God so I suppose I'm blinded by Satan.
    2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 21:38
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

People come in all stripes.

So the universe has been around for about 13 billion years. Man has evolved to his present state over the last 500 million years. The evolutionist has mere scraps of physical evidence to support his theory. A few bones and some fossils.

I find it odd that there is more evidence for the sudden emergence of the existence of man only about 6000 years ago, and nothing but particles of bones to cover 499,994,000 years previously. It makes no sense to me.
    It also makes no sense to me, in spite of the science, that anyone can possibly guess the age of the universe. It could be trillions of years old.
    It is apparent that there was a sudden appearance of man approximately 6000 years ago. As far as I know archaeology attests to that.
  15. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 22:37
    People come in all stripes.

So the universe has been around for about 13 billion years. Man has evolved to his present state over the last 500 million years. The evolutionist has mere scraps of physical evidence to support his theory. A few bones and some fossils.

I find it odd that there is more evidence for the sudden emergence of the existence of m ...[text shortened]... en appearance of man approximately 6000 years ago. As far as I know archaeology attests to that.
    is this the archaeology of 'Answers in Genesis'?

You know, where people rode dinosaurs around?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree