1. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    24 Jul '05 23:381 edit
    I've been reading www.answersingenesis.com to try and find out what evidence many Christians believe there is for the Biblical account of the flood.

Fossil evidence is interpreted to show that there must have been a catastrophic flood at one particular moment in time to account for how creatures have been fossilized.

One question that bothers me: why haven't we found any fossils of the many humans who must have been killed in the flood?

I'd be interested if anyone has a view or explanation for this one.

Cheers
  2. Not Kansas
    Moves
    24 Jul '05 23:41
    Originally posted by PawnCurry
    I've been reading www.answeringgenesis.com to try and find out what evidence many Christians believe there is for the Biblical account of the flood.

Fossil evidence is interpreted to show that there must have been a catastrophic flood at one particular moment in time to account for how creatures have been fossilized.

One question that bothers me: wh ...[text shortened]... in the flood?

Cheers
    Food for the lions, tigers and bears on their way back to Africa, India and Russia?
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    25 Jul '05 07:281 edit
    Being more intelligent, they ran for higher ground and avoided being buried in mud-slides etc? Died; floated; decomposed; Not many fossils.
  4. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '05 10:25
    I've been reading www.answersingenesis.com to try and find out what evidence many Christians believe there is for the Biblical account of the flood.

Cheers
    I found these comments at answersingenesis. These are a few of the most relevant ideas relating to the shortage of human fossils. The whole article is at:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2/4419.asp

If there were, say, 10 million people at the time of the Flood12 and all their bodies were preserved and uniformly distributed throughout the 700 million cubic kilometers of fossil-bearing sedimentary rock layers, only one would be found in every 70 cubic kilometers of rock. Thus you would be unlikely to find even one human fossil.

On the other hand, land animals, such as mammals and birds, being mobile (especially birds), could escape to higher ground and be the last to succumb. People would cling to rafts, logs etc. until the very end and then tend to bloat and float and be scavenged by fish, with the bones breaking down rather quickly, rather than being preserved. This would make human fossils from the Flood exceedingly rare.

These are some factors that could account for the patterns seen in the fossil record, including the general absence of human fossils in Flood deposits. Most of the fossil record does not represent a history of life on earth, but the order of burial during the Flood. We would expect a pattern with a global Flood, but not an entirely consistent pattern, and this is what we find in the geological strata.

5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    25 Jul '05 11:00
    Hahahahahahahaha
  6. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '05 13:20
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Hahahahahahahaha
    ??
  7. Meddling with things
    Moves
    26 Jul '05 00:07
    Originally posted by chinking58

If there were, say, 10 million people at the time of the Flood12 and all their bodies were preserved and uniformly distributed throughout the 700 million cubic kilometers of fossil-bearing sedimentary rock layers, only one would be found in every 70 cubic kilometers of rock. Thus you would be unlikely to find even one human fossil.

Brilliant that the people who demand highly specific transition fossils should answer criticism with such sophistry. I nearly wet myself laughing
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    26 Jul '05 07:52
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Brilliant that the people who demand highly specific transition fossils should answer criticism with such sophistry. I nearly wet myself laughing
    hahahahahaha
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    26 Jul '05 07:54
    Sorry. Couldn't resist...
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jul '05 10:24
    You might find it interesting to Google the phrase "flood myths" and notice that many cultures have nearly identical flood myths. Several which were recorded in stone even before your flood myth is purported to have taken place.
    I have always found it fascinating how many people are adamant about not letting things like facts interfere with their system of man-made beliefs.

In Love there is Life
    Angela
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Jul '05 14:44
    These people make a lot of mileage out of uniform distributions.
  12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    26 Jul '05 16:37

Cheers
    What was it about the fossils that lead the creation scientist to consider them evidence for or against the great flood? I've heard some of it was the location of the fossils. Since man is not very limited in where he can be found on the earth - his fossilized remains at any particular location could have been due to the flood or something unrelated. We probably do have fossils from people that happened to be killed in the great flood - but how could one tell? The creation scientist would only consider fossils that either supported on undermined the flood event.
  13. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    26 Jul '05 18:33
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Could you be a bit more specific?

What criticism was I answering? (I thought I was offering an answer to a question.)

What specifically is implausible in my answer?

14. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    26 Jul '05 23:20
    Some interesting answers.

I don't hold with the Creationist explanation re average distribution of fossils per however many cubic kilometres of silt deposits... nor with the explanation of intelligent humans seeking higher ground as the flood waters slowly rose around them... presumably while the ponderous dinosaurs resigned themselves to a watery fate.

My own experience tells me that heavy rain can quickly lead to drastic localised flooding... surely this would have happened in Noah's flood. Humans presumably inhabited flood plains then as they do now... so many would have died quickly. Just like the dinosaurs.

Yet we don't see human fossilised remains in the same sedimentary layers as dinosaur fossils...

There's so much other stuff re the Genesis account that just doesn't seem right either...

I can see how Creationists have convinced themselves that the evidence before us supports their position... but I remain thoroughly unconvinced. But I suppose if you believe 100% that the Bible is indeed the inspired word of God, then no matter what the evidence is, you will naturally interpret it to prove scripture.

I believe that God gave us intelligence and the ability to use it... and to interpret the world and the Universe around us.

Which leaves me in something of a quandary... there are too many inconsistencies in the Bible for me to accept it as the inspired Word of God. I have a huge problem with the "Fall of Man" for example - I can't believe that we were created by a God who would punish an entire race, his own creation, for the misdeeds of just 2 of them. But if I accept that position, then the basis of the New Testament is destroyed... as Christ was supposedly sent to save mankind where Adam had damned mankind.

All of which leaves me floundering somewhat as to the nature of God.

If anyone has any pointers, feel free to gently shove me in a certain direction... still looking for questions to the answers!
  15. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    26 Jul '05 23:25
    Adam and Eve had finished having sex for the first time, and as Adam lay on the soft grasses of Eden, God appeared before him. "Well, my son," said the Lord, "how didst thou like it?"
    "Oh!" gushed Adam, "it was incredible'. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it." "And what didst Eve think?" "She liked it too," smiled Adam. The Lord looked around. "Then tell me, Adam, where is thy mate?" Gesturing toward the edge of the Garden, Adam said, "She's over by the river. Lord, washing." Suddenly the skies darkened, and God tore at his hair in anguish.
    "What is it?" cried Adam, cowering behind a tree trunk, "what's wrong?"
    "Wrong?" boomed the Lord, "now I'll never get that smell out of the fish!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree