1. Wat?
    Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    76863
    04 Dec '12 20:56
    Reasonable assumption is your own based on experience - outside of that we depend on imagination - dangerous stuff!

    -m.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    04 Dec '12 20:59
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Reasonable assumption is your own based on experience - outside of that we depend on imagination - dangerous stuff!

    -m.
    Can you elaborate on this?
  3. Wat?
    Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    76863
    04 Dec '12 21:07
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Can you elaborate on this?
    I'm sure you can, yes.

    -m.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    04 Dec '12 21:13
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I'm sure you can, yes.

    -m.
    Evidently you assume it reasonable that all others can gleen the intended meaning of your OP. Why don't you imagine that they can't and provide an explanation?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    04 Dec '12 22:05
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Reasonable assumption is your own based on experience - outside of that we depend on imagination - dangerous stuff!

    -m.
    I like to think of "reasonable" as "reason-able". If I want to say some premise is reasonable, I think, can I show the reasoning that leads to it. Can I show that it is reason-able.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    04 Dec '12 22:26
    Originally posted by JS357
    I like to think of "reasonable" as "reason-able". If I want to say some premise is reasonable, I think, can I show the reasoning that leads to it. Can I show that it is reason-able.
    Using reasoning to establish a premise?

    Surely the other way round!
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    04 Dec '12 22:35
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Using reasoning to establish a premise?

    Surely the other way round!
    I get your point. My point is that often we want someone to accept something we say. It is a premise unless we present the reasoning that makes it a conclusion. That makes it a reasonable premise for further reasoning.
  8. Wat?
    Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    76863
    05 Dec '12 03:44
    Originally posted by JS357
    I get your point. My point is that often we want someone to accept something we say. It is a premise unless we present the reasoning that makes it a conclusion. That makes it a reasonable premise for further reasoning.
    A premise? That depends upon what you are trying to enforce, or re-enforce, and the timing which comes with it. Invoking a rationalisation, as you see it as raitionale, may well not be rational to anon. ; especially if you haven't considered cultural differences, or perspectives.

    I did open the OP with respect to reasonable assumptions based heavily upon experience. Assumptions include a presence of a deity to some, of course. 😉

    -m.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86356
    05 Dec '12 07:08
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Reasonable assumption is your own based on experience - outside of that we depend on imagination - dangerous stuff!

    -m.
    Convince me.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    08 Dec '12 19:21
    Reasoning involves and requires imagination.
Back to Top