It imprisons free thought.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 15:341 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    1. It's old.
    Its old ? Be serious now.

Don't you know people often long for what is of the ages, tried, tested, proven as ancient wisdom.

For example - in the United States there was a huge longing for passed down wisdom Eastern cultural style. Sure there was. Movies like Karate Kid expressed this yearning for young people to be helped by ancient wisdom. That's probably because Western families are so broken and messed up.

The way I see it if you say "This is Brand New !!" Some people will say "But it doesn't have the ancient wisdom of the ages."

Then some will say "This now is ancient and established." Some people will respond "That's TOO OLD."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 15:37
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    10. It's boring.
    Oh come on!!

There is quite a bit of excitement in the stories of the Bible.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 15:38
    Originally posted by OdBod
    It imprisons free thought.
    Boulderdash.

In the artistic world quite a bit of creativity is inspired by the Bible.
  6. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 15:491 edit
    12. It's about 40 books too long.
  7. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 19:17
    Originally posted by sonship
    Boulderdash.

In the artistic world quite a bit of creativity is inspired by the Bible.
    Religious art.
  8. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 19:22
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Religious art.
    What about this?

http://tinyurl.com/bm3l5tx
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 19:43
    Originally posted by sonship
    Its old ? Be serious now.

He is serious; it is old.
    Almost 1700 years old.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 22:461 edit
    13. It makes ridiculous statements:

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 00:31
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    13. It makes ridiculous statements:

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)
    "Turn the other cheek" and "do unto others as you would have them do to you" are two more ridiculous statements.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 05:141 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It isn't a single work, it is multiple works, some of which are historical (though often inaccurate), some are religious, some are allegorical. Now I guess most of those categories could be called 'fiction', but I still wouldn't call it 'a work of fiction'.
    This is a funny post. It's like you want to agree with me so badly, but just can't quite bring yourself to do it.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 06:53
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    This is a funny post. It's like you want to agree with me so badly, but just can't quite bring yourself to do it.
    I agree with the general meaning of your post. I just don't think it fits quite right. Much of the Bible is fictitious, but that doesn't make it a work of fiction. I think calling it 'a work' is giving over much credit to the council of Nicea or whoever it was that decided what books to put in 'the Bible'. They didn't really add much too it and cant really be credited with creating a 'work'.
    Similarly calling it a 'work of fiction' suggests it was written largely as a novel, when in reality it is more like propaganda (lies dressed up as documentary).
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 04:572 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I agree with the general meaning of your post. I just don't think it fits quite right. Much of the Bible is fictitious, but that doesn't make it a work of fiction. I think calling it 'a work' is giving over much credit to the council of Nicea or whoever it was that decided what books to put in 'the Bible'. They didn't really add much too it and cant reall a novel, when in reality it is more like propaganda (lies dressed up as documentary).
    You're being overly pedantic.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 06:28
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You're being overly pedantic.
    Yes I am. But its not intended as criticism so much as me wanting to get things sorted out in my own mind. For example, the whole thread assumes the existence of something called 'the Bible'. Yet the Christian Bible is a collection of books. Anything you say about it is not really about the content of individual books, but about the collection as a whole. I am trying to sort out the collection vs individual issue.
    Lets for example create The Bible 2.0 which includes all the books of the Bible, the Quran, The Origin of Species, and Pythagoras' Theorem.
    Would you still have 'reasons to write it off'? Would it still be 'a work of fiction'? What could we say about it as a whole?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree