1. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 04:09
    from The Teaching Company

(secular version of religious history)

http://www.teach12.com/storex/courses.aspx?t=&sl=&s=909

the link is the sales link at the company, but some libraries carry them and you probably can get some from inter-library loan...

this company gets great lecturers. History of religion, like most things, is much more complex and involved than any kind of quick caricature or stereotype...
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 01:49
    Originally posted by r99pawn77

the link is the sales link at the company, but some libraries carry them and you probably can get some from inter-library loan...

this company gets great lecturers. History of religion, like most things, is much more complex and involved than any kind of quick caricature or stereotype...
    That's just what we need. More religion. 😕
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 03:20
    Originally posted by r99pawn77

The Teaching Company has some quality stuff. I've listened to quite a few of their lectures now. I've bought several in the past, but now I just check them out of the library. In fact I'm in the middle of listening to one on the history of the Vikings.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 20:32
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The Teaching Company has some quality stuff. I've listened to quite a few of their lectures now. I've bought several in the past, but now I just check them out of the library. In fact I'm in the middle of listening to one on the history of the Vikings.
    Are there any Vikings left?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 03:27
    Originally posted by josephw
    Are there any Vikings left?
    Yes, in Minnesota.
  6. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 16:051 edit
    well, you know, that is the thing.

people have all these impressions of religion, created by media, gossip, rumor, news stories sold to the public.

but the reality of religion is very very different.

And these lectures are really unbiased. Presented by college professors who are not from religious universities....it is really a secular view of religion.

And even in that, you start to get the impression that while religion is not one big Hallmark card...it also isn't just the Inquisition, the religious wars, sex scandals and the corruptions.

The fact of the matter is that what religion really has been, over the course of millenia, in the lives of millions, is a strong moral code that has produced, literally, billions of acts of kindness and charity. And the percentage of corruption is no greater than in any other human institution. Maybe no less, but no greater.

Is it the fault of the non-profit charity world that some CEO's have used the position for personal gain?

Is if the fault of religion, that some have used it as a scam to secure power for themselves?

Corrupt people are always looked to hide themselves as sheep, so that they can take advantage of others.

That is not the fault of the institution, but of the 1 or 2% of evil folks that are always out there looking to score some money or power.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree