1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 05:55
    im only guessing but i would assume GM's and IM's dont really have time for religion. plus chess and religion contradict each other, chess is logical and rational, religion cannot be proven and its a matter of opinion.

are their any grandmasters that are religious? and what is their religion? i would assume if anything their christian. but also how about any zen buddhists or buddhists?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 06:11
    Originally posted by Arrak
    im only guessing but i would assume GM's and IM's dont really have time for religion. plus chess and religion contradict each other, chess is logical and rational, religion cannot be proven and its a matter of opinion.

are their any grandmasters that are religious? and what is their religion? i would assume if anything their christian. but also how about any zen buddhists or buddhists?
    Israel has a fair part of the worlds GM's and IM's, and they're jews. Anand, is from India and what religions have they there?
    I don't think that we should see chess as a christian activity...
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 06:25

I significant proportion of those claiming to belong to a given religion do not spend a whole lot of time devoted to religious activities.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 10:34

the greatest chess player of all time, Mr R J Fischer was a Christian, took great delight in reading scripture and had a sincere belief in God! The King of chess was a theist, dig y'all!
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 15:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I don't think that we should see chess as a christian activity...
    It is most certainly not an Islamic one, that's for sure....

http://www.inter-islam.org/Prohibitions/Chess.html
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 16:061 edit

" ..... plus chess and religion contradict each other, chess is logical and rational, religion cannot be proven and its a matter of opinion.
    ... "

Oh boy ..... either you don't know what chess is about or you don't know what the true Christian faith ( ... and as you will guess I am not refering to the Evangelical or other fundamentalist teachings here) is all about ...

John Paul the second (... Karol Woytila), for instance, was an excellent chessplayer.

He is mentioned in Gary Kasparov's and Raymond Keene's Batsford Chess Openings page 51.

note 15:
    "4 Kf3 g6 (4 ... h6 5 Bh4 e6 6 e4 g5 !); Zartobliwy - Woytila, * Cracow 1946.

* later John Paul II;
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 16:201 edit
    GM Henrique Mecking is also a Christian.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3945

http://www.chessbase.com/news/2007/mecking01.jpg

... and there must be more ... not wearing a cross.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 16:351 edit
    im only guessing but i would assume GM's and IM's dont really have time for religion
    You know what they say about assuming!
  9. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 02:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the greatest chess player of all time, Mr R J Fischer was a Christian, took great delight in reading scripture and had a sincere belief in God! The King of chess was a theist, dig y'all!
    He was also a rabid anti-semite who admired Hitler.
    You won't get very far expounding Fischer's personal values
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 02:511 edit
    Originally posted by randolph
    It makes one wonder why such an importance is placed on mastering a game. For example, since Fischer was the best chess player of all time his intellectual capacity rivals all those who he could beat. This is quite an assumption!! Another great assumption is that even if he was more intellectually gifted, that this makes him right more than those who are not his intellectual equals.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 05:37
    This entire thread is for fun, and for fun only, isn't it? It's not serious, right?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 06:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This entire thread is for fun, and for fun only, isn't it? It's not serious, right?
    Not necessarily. I raises some very important or interesting issues:
    1. Do religious people have time for anything else? If not, are all the top people academically an in sport necessarily not very religious?
    2. Should a persons who it clearly intelligent and the world best at some academic or intellectual pursuit be taken as an authority on matters not relating to their area of expertise?
    3. In Islam is there anything wrong with playing chess?
    4. Is there a correlation between being good at Chess and atheism? If so why?
    5. Does playing chess really make you more logical or rational or is it really a matter of memorizing and pattern matching mostly via experience and books?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 13:111 edit
    Originally posted by randolph
    he was not an anti Semite, he was anti Jewish for he had nothing against the Arabs, who are also Semites, therefore you're assertion is flawed and baseless, i have never heard him espouse any type of Nazi ideology, this again, i suspect is nothing but a pathetic baseless fabrication, infact since you know so much about it, perhaps you can tell the forum why he was anti Jewish and also anti American, for there must have been a reason.
  14. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 14:071 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    he was not an anti Semite, he was anti Jewish for he had nothing against the Arabs, who are also Semites, therefore you're assertion is flawed and baseless, i have never heard him espouse any type of Nazi ideology, this again, i suspect is nothing but a pathetic baseless fabrication, infact since you know so much about it, perhaps you can tell the forum why he was anti Jewish and also anti American, for there must have been a reason.
    he was not an anti Semite, he was anti Jewish for he had nothing against the Arabs, who are also Semites,

If you look at the definition of anti-semitism it specifically mentions that "anti-Jewish" specifically is a legit definition so is assertion wasn't baseless at all.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anti-semitism

i have never heard him espouse any type of Nazi ideology, this again, i suspect is nothing but a pathetic baseless fabrication, infact since you know so much about it, perhaps you can tell the forum why he was anti Jewish and also anti American, for there must have been a reason.

I also haven't heard him espouse a nazi ideology or an admiration of Hitler so I agree with you on that.

There must have been a reason, yes. That reason isn't necessarily rational or reasonable though. You could say the same for Hitler... he must have had a reason and he did. The thing is Hitler's reasons weren't based in reality, just like I don't believe Fisher's were.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 14:252 edits
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    ]he was not an anti Semite, he was anti Jewish for he had nothing against the Arabs, who are also Semites,[/b]

If you look at the definition of anti-semitism it specifically mentions that "anti-Jewish" specifically is a legit definition so is assertion wasn't baseless at all.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anti-semitism

i have never is Hitler's reasons weren't based in reality, just like I don't believe Fisher's were.
    dictionary smictionairy, the Arabs are Semites too, deny it we cannot, Fischer had nothing against the Arabs, therefore all that we can say is that he was anti Jewish.

why this is the case i think has to do with the tournaments that he played in and the people who put the money up for the tournaments were pulling the shots and failed to take his requests into consideration, like not playing on a Sunday for example, i think this was the reason he walked out against Reshvesky. He hated the thought that others were making money from him, from his legacy and his reputation, this plus lawsuits concerning publication rights put him at enmity with many who were Jewish, therefore it takes not a great leap of the imagination to see why he was anti Jewish, this coupled with a perhaps misguided understanding from scripture, plus any personal problems, plus the way he was portrayed in the media, which he felt was Jewish controlled, may all have culminated in his distrust and enmity. therefore i don't think that its not without reason, whether the reasons were justified is another story.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree