1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 14:581 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Neither was Irving, but he went to jail.

I'm glad that you are able to ascertain all the facts of a case and come to a conclusion while hearing only one side. Most impressive.

You may consider the following facts (but you probably won't):

1. She was a teacher of Sudanese children of mostly upper class backgrounds. T 007/11/30/world/africa/30sudan.html?em&ex=1196571600&en=a34103a9bb6c2a52&ei=5087%0A
    Your point is nonsense.

My criticism is that she was being accused of "hatred" because of something meaningless. That she was convicted is immaterial to my point because I'm criticizing the law upon which she was convicted on.

The point here is whether HER act of naming a teddy bear is "inciting hatred" or not.

Unless you wish to argue that it is (which you are probably pathetic enough to do, but haven't already), then you haven't showed that I'm inconsistent at all.

Ask Scribs for lessons in logic. You desperately need them.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 15:02
    Jesus was in favor of abandoning all punishments for any violation of the criminal law?
    Not according to lucifershammer...according to whom Jesus considered stoning for adultery to be a just punishment.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 15:042 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Your point is nonsense.

My criticism is that she was being accused of "hatred" because of something meaningless. That she was convicted is immaterial to my point because I'm criticizing the law upon which she was convicted on.

The point here is whether HER act of naming a teddy bear is "inciting hatred" or not.

Unless you wish to argue that it is ( t I'm inconsistent at all.

As Scribs for lessons in logic. You desperately need them.
    Maybe you should learn how to read (there's an unemployed British teacher available in 5 days).

YOU may think it is meaningless, but the parents of the children in the school she was teaching at certainly didn't agree with you. She wound up being convicted of "insulting religion"; is that not as serious as insulting people because of race or denying the Holocaust in your view? Consider also that she was "insulting religion" to children of people of faith.

Did you read the quote of the Sudanese government official?

As I accurately predicted, you failed to address any of the facts I brought forward. Pathetic.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 15:12
    Maybe you should learn how to read (there's an unemployed British teacher available in 5 days).

YOU may think it is meaningless, but the parents of the children in the school she was teaching at certainly didn't agree with you. She wound up being convicted of "insulting religion"; is that not as serious as insulting people because of race or ...[text shortened]... I accurately predicted, you failed to address any of the facts I brought forward. Pathetic.
    I'll repeat schematically because you seem to be having trouble with reading comprehension:

1) I'm criticising the law => 'but that's the law' is a void argument;
    2) Defending the UN Declaration of Human Rights implies imposing limits to majority rulings => 'the majority voted so' is a void argument;

This shows that all your arguments above are void. Keep trying.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 15:253 edits
    I'll repeat schematically because you seem to be having trouble with reading comprehension:

1) I'm criticising the law => 'but that's the law' is a void argument;
    2) Defending the UN Declaration of Human Rights implies imposing limits to majority rulings => 'the majority voted so' is a void argument;

This shows that all your arguments above are void. Keep trying.
    You're criticizing the law against insulting religion? On what grounds? How is that law any different from sending Holocaust deniers to jail (which you support)?

EDIT: Article 26 (3) of the UN Declaration of Human Rights:

3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

BTW, you really need that reading course; nowhere did I make the argument "but that's the law" and/or "the majority voted so".
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 18:15
    You're criticizing the law against insulting religion? On what grounds? How is that law any different from sending Holocaust deniers to jail (which you support)?

EDIT: Article 26 (3) of the UN Declaration of Human Rights:

3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

BTW, you really ...[text shortened]... urse; nowhere did I make the argument "but that's the law" and/or "the majority voted so".
    Yes. Human Rights. Denying the holocaust is different than naming a teddy bear.

Any more ridiculous comparisons?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 18:48
    Yes. Human Rights. Denying the holocaust is different than naming a teddy bear.

Any more ridiculous comparisons?
    As predicted:

"I know from past experience that you won't address these facts in any detail and will only response with snotty, cryptic statements that mean nothing".

Bingo.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 20:28
    Human Rights.
    Human Rights...a fine religious principle. Somewhat arbitrary, though, don't you think? It all comes down to a kind of a feeling of how you ought to treat other people, doesn't it? It seems self-evidently right, but...a bunch of words in practice.
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 21:361 edit
    A woman has gone to jail for naming a teddy bear in a primary school according to the pupils wishes.

Anyone at all think this is reasonable?
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 21:48
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Anyone at all think this is reasonable?
    Given the right premises, anything is reasonable. It was reasonable to hang children for theft in 18th century England. It was reasonable to gas Jews. What's the point of your outrage?
  11. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 22:09
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Given the right premises, anything is reasonable. It was reasonable to hang children for theft in 18th century England. It was reasonable to gas Jews. What's the point of your outrage?
    I am not outraged. I think it is quite funny, except for the woman concerned.

If you think it is reasonable to gas Jews, and hang children, then I hope you never ever get into a position of influence, anywhere. If you support that kind of thing then that is up to you. If you get caught hanging children, or gassing Jews, then should you only face 15 days in prison, that would irk me more...
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 22:22
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    I am not outraged. I think it is quite funny, except for the woman concerned.

If you think it is reasonable to gas Jews, and hang children, then I hope you never ever get into a position of influence, anywhere. If you support that kind of thing then that is up to you. If you get caught hanging children, or gassing Jews, then should you only face 15 days in prison, that would irk me more...
    You'd be amazed how reason can lead you astray.

Reason is no basis for dealing with other people. Other qualities--pity, mercy, love, peace, the whole shtick--are much more valuable. What's lacking in the people responsible for this fiasco is not intelligence, it's mercy--I'd urge them to be merciful on the woman for being ignorant of their customs, their politics, their bigotry. Perhaps sentencing her to 15 days instead of 80 lashes is mercy, by their lights.

But why privilege this woman's case above the myriad atrocities taking place everywhere, all the time? I can only think it must be the teddy bear.
  13. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 22:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 22:41
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You'd be amazed how reason can lead you astray.

Reason is no basis for dealing with other people. Other qualities--pity, mercy, love, peace, the whole shtick--are much more valuable. What's lacking in the people responsible for this fiasco is not intelligence, it's mercy--I'd urge them to be merciful on the woman for being ignorant of their customs, ...[text shortened]... rocities taking place everywhere, all the time? I can only think it must be the teddy bear.
    I think if you have no reason you are more likely to be confused.
    Perhaps you don't see the lack of reason in the following sentences.

"What's lacking in the people responsible for this fiasco is not intelligence"

"I'd urge them to be merciful on the woman for being ignorant of their ... bigotry."
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 12:13
    As predicted:

"I know from past experience that you won't address these facts in any detail and will only response with snotty, cryptic statements that mean nothing".

Bingo.
    Present something with substance and I'll address it. Continue to present ridiculous comparisons and I'll keep on treating you with contempt.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree