1. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 22:00
    Is this the jesus character saying there are certain worldly things religion and god should keep their hands off? Or was he avoiding a problem?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 14:461 edit
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Is this the jesus character saying there are certain worldly things religion and god should keep their hands off? Or was he avoiding a problem?
    And render to God what belongs to God. 😏
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 15:37
    I don't think He (not a "jesus character", but Jesus himself!) would go that far. Certainly, if the tax level were unbearable (which it rarely is, certainly not in the modern Western world), the church should have something to say about it and not leave all the shouting to right-wing rabble-rousers.
    What he was saying - and IMO this is clear from the context - is that there is no reason why Christians could not work together with the secular authorities in cases where the latter don't go directly against God's commands. Sure, one cannot serve two masters, but one does not serve the government. The government governs, God reigns. It's a different relationship, and the latter's Mastership doesn't preclude the former's rule - as long as it stays reasonable.
    Of course, he was also refusing to get caught in the Pharisees' snare. But he did so by giving a reasonable answer instead of, as they hoped, going for the extremist point of view.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 19:26
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I don't think He (not a "jesus character", but Jesus himself!) would go that far. Certainly, if the tax level were unbearable (which it rarely is, certainly not in the modern Western world), the church should have something to say about it and not leave all the shouting to right-wing rabble-rousers.
    What he was saying - and IMO this is clear fro ...[text shortened]... by giving a reasonable answer instead of, as they hoped, going for the extremist point of view.
    The government is supposed to be the servant of the people. Even though the government needs the return of Caesar's coins from the people to serve the people well, the people must not forget that they are created in the image of God and belong to God and should serve God.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 21:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]And render to God what belongs to God. 😏[/b]
    Well picked up.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 21:441 edit
    He avoided a trap, not a problem.

Following this particular scriptural principle when I was recently in a moral/legal dilemma has saved me several thousands of pounds.
  7. Joined
    03 Mar '15
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 09:52
    Sorry, I'll try for the less obscure.

You are correct, what's next?

slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 21:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    He avoided a trap, not a problem.

Following this particular scriptural principle when I was recently in a moral/legal dilemma has saved me several thousands of pounds.
    You got that heavy?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree