1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 13:49
    ADULT STEM CELLS

SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH MUST RESPECT HUMAN DIGNITY

VATICAN CITY, JUN 27, 2007 (VIS) - At the end of today's general audience, celebrated in the Paul VI Hall, the Pope addressed some remarks to participants in an international congress on adult stem cells, being organized by the "La Sapienza" University of Rome.

The Holy Father noted how the congress "sets itself the aim of developing autologous cell therapy in the treatment of cardiac problems, through the use of adult stem cells. On this matter the position of the Church, supported by reason and by science, is clear: scientific research must be encouraged and promoted, so long as it does not harm other human beings, whose dignity is inviolable from the very first stages of existence."
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 15:01
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    ADULT STEM CELLS

VATICAN CITY, JUN 27, 2007 (VIS) - At the end of today's general audience, celebrated in the Paul VI Hall, the Pope addressed some remarks to participants in an international congress on adult stem cells, being organized by the "La Sapienza" University of Rome.

The Holy Father noted ...[text shortened]... m other human beings, whose dignity is inviolable from the very first stages of existence."
    Does human dignity include the dignity of women as well as men?
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 21:11
    ADULT STEM CELLS

The Holy Father noted ...[text shortened]... m other human beings, whose dignity is inviolable from the very first stages of existence."
    The Holy Father noted how the congress ........

(king James Version)(Matthew-23-9)(And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.)
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 21:11
    ADULT STEM CELLS

The Holy Father noted how the congress ........

(king James Version)(Matthew-23-9)(And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.)
  5. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 21:53
    ADULT STEM CELLS

Uhm, kind of stating the obvious isn't it? Responsible scientific research always avoids harming humans, and the dignity thing is a matter of choice isn't it? If I want to donate stem cells I can, so my dignity isn't violated. Am I right in believing he basically gave this research the papal seal of approval?
  6. Gangster Land
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 22:04
    Originally posted by agryson
    Uhm, kind of stating the obvious isn't it? Responsible scientific research always avoids harming humans, and the dignity thing is a matter of choice isn't it? If I want to donate stem cells I can, so my dignity isn't violated. Am I right in believing he basically gave this research the papal seal of approval?
    Actually, he didn't say "simon says".
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 22:06
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Actually, he didn't say "simon says".
    Good point!
  8. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 22:22
    True, does that mean he'd be willing to give his stem cells? the church could make a killing (no pun intended).
    "Papal gene therapy, approved by God!"
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 23:031 edit
    Originally posted by agryson
    Agryson: "Responsible scientific research always avoids harming humans, ..... "

Responsible scientific research ..... yes ....

Adult stem cell research doesn't violate anyone's dignity, as far as I know .... in opposition to fetal stemcell research.

Agryson: "Am I right in believing he basically gave this research the papal seal of approval."

If you want to put it this way, yes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree