1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 14:28
    Being an ordinary Joe, and not schooled or expert in the art of debate, I was wondering if someone could define the terms and conditions of debate.

Maybe we can set some perimeters that could possibly facilitate a more productive and fruitful discussion.

I'm thinking of rules and terms of debate specific to this spirituality forum.

Maybe this is too much to ask! Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome. 🙂
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 14:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    Being an ordinary Joe, and not schooled or expert in the art of debate, I was wondering if someone could define the terms and conditions of debate.

Maybe we can set some perimeters that could possibly facilitate a more productive and fruitful discussion.

How do you think you would fare better in the debates here?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 14:48
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    How do you think you would fare better in the debates here?
    I was thinking of us all.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 19:092 edits

Why do we need "rules and terms of" debate here, considering that this is an informal, not formal, setting? The basic idea is to engage others in argument. You present reasons that you think support your case; you entertain objections from others; you challenge others on their points and insert your own objections; etc. The most important thing, I think, is that you engage in the practice of providing reasons for and against. Hopefully this is done in a constructive, civil manner without resorting to insults and the like, but...

Also, I don't take it to be the case that this forum is just about debate. This is also an outlet of expression. If people want to post poetry, for example, then more power to them.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 20:04
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Why do we need "rules and terms of" debate here, considering that this is an informal, not formal, setting? The basic idea is to engage others in argument. You present reasons that you think support your case; you entertain objections from others; you challenge others on their points and insert your own objections; etc. The most important thing, I thin ...[text shortened]... n outlet of expression. If people want to post poetry, for example, then more power to them.
    Yes , but if you are obviously in a debate with someone then it's a good idea to have some parameters. For example , if someone quotes Jesus in support of an argument then it would be expected that another quote of Jesus should be taken seriously as a repost.

If someone uses a certain logic then the other person should also be able to use it without a protest.

What I try to do is think about what logic or reasoning the other person is using and then try and turn that to my advantage. The problem is that it's often "one rule for me and one rule for the other". We all do it but some more than most. Consistency is the only thing we can ask from each other.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 20:583 edits
    I don't know about general terms of all denates. But the best website I ever participated in had rules for debates something like this:

Two Participants only except for free selected questions from the audience afterwards.

500 words opening statement
    500 words reply.

1600 words EACH round one.
    1600 words EACH round two.
    1600 words EACH round three

500 words closing argument
    500 words closing argument

100 words EACH three questions to opponent
    300 words EACH three replies.

Selected Questions from the audience chosen by Moderator to
    either participant.

One of the advisory rules was to direct your speaking to the audience and not to the opposite participant. You were NOT out to convince your opponent but to pursuade the audience.

Those were the most constructive debates I have ever participated in on the web. They were very strict about counting words. You could not submit more words than were allowed, period. You had to edit your posts for word count before they were accepted.
  7. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 21:05
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I don't know about general terms of all denates. But the best website I ever participated in had rules for debates something like this:

Two Participants only except for free selected questions from the audience afterwards.

500 words opening statement
    500 words reply.

1600 words EACH round one.
    1600 words EACH round two.
    1600 words EACH ro ...[text shortened]... audience.

Those were the most constructive debates I have ever participated in on the web.
    Ask rwingett and DoctorScribbles how many words are contained in a 1600-word text; I dare you.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 21:19

Actually, I've been thinking of challenging someone to a new debate. I need to avenge my loss to Dr. Scribbles. Give me a little bit and I will post my challenge along with my proposed rules.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 21:26
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Actually, I've been thinking of challenging someone to a new debate. I need to avenge my loss to Dr. Scribbles. Give me a little bit and I will post my challenge along with my proposed rules.
    I would enjoy a debate between you and Josephw.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 21:28
    Shootin' fish in a barrel, my friend. That wouldn't be a debate, that would be a mercy killing.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 22:04
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Yes , but if you are obviously in a debate with someone then it's a good idea to have some parameters. For example , if someone quotes Jesus in support of an argument then it would be expected that another quote of Jesus should be taken seriously as a repost.

If someone uses a certain logic then the other person should also be able to use it withou ...[text shortened]... all do it but some more than most. Consistency is the only thing we can ask from each other.
    I am having trouble understanding your post.

if someone quotes Jesus in support of an argument then it would be expected that another quote of Jesus should be taken seriously as a repost.

If poster1 says something like, "Jesus stated 'X' and that supports my case for reasons x,y,z"; then what are you suggesting is 'expected' in the reply of poster2? I would have thought that poster2 is just expected to give reasons why he agrees or disagrees with poster1. What does another quote of Jesus have to do with anything? Maybe I am not understanding your point.

If someone uses a certain logic then the other person should also be able to use it without a protest.

Again, I don't understand what you mean.
  12. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    12 Jan '09 00:11
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I am having trouble understanding your post.

[b]if someone quotes Jesus in support of an argument then it would be expected that another quote of Jesus should be taken seriously as a repost.

If poster1 says something like, "Jesus stated 'X' and that supports my case for reasons x,y,z"; then what are you suggesting is 'expected' in the reply of p ...[text shortened]... also be able to use it without a protest.[/b]

Again, I don't understand what you mean.[/b]
    It's just about the responsibility of holding yourself accountable to your own reasoning. For example , ToOne always debated with me by invoking how we should heed the words of Jesus and reprimanded me for not doing so. When I pointed out that there were other things that Jesus said that countered him he did not heed them or want to explore them. Frustrating....

It's all about whether one poster wants to play with a loaded dice or not. We just end up cheating ourselves if we do.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '09 00:43
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    It's just about the responsibility of holding yourself accountable to your own reasoning. For example , ToOne always debated with me by invoking how we should heed the words of Jesus and reprimanded me for not doing so. When I pointed out that there were other things that Jesus said that countered him he did not heed them or want to explore them. Frust ...[text shortened]... ne poster wants to play with a loaded dice or not. We just end up cheating ourselves if we do.
    Okay, thanks, I think I understand your point now.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '09 00:441 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Shootin' fish in a barrel, my friend. That wouldn't be a debate, that would be a mercy killing.
    Don't be so hard on yourself. 😛
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '09 00:45
    :'(

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree