1. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 05:38
    Let us gather and explore sacrifice protrayed in Myth/Religion and decide once and for all who gets the Gold. Here I give a couple of examples. Others can certainly be nominated. Let's start the show!

First down the catwalk is Jesus Christ. He is sporting a very skimpy andn quite revealing three days of death. Not much to start with, and he lessens his own value noticably by bragging his foreknowledge that he would rise from the grave, good as new, and be second in command in Heaven. Not much of a sacrifice, if you ask me, but he made it into the Show because his Daddy has a great deal of influence in certain circles.

Next is a real winner: Prometheus, creator of man and defender of mankind from the wickedness of a young Zeus. Not only did he teach us virtually everything needed to survive, but he stole fire for us when Zeus would see us shivering in the cold eating raw fish. He was punished for his misdeed by being chained to a pillar (or cliff, some say) for eternity. Not for three days, not for a week, but for eternity. On top of that, when he refused to give up his wisdom, Zeus send his pet eagle every day to eat his liver, which would then grow back overnight (he was the son of a Titan, after all), only to get eaten again the next day. All of this he was willing to suffer because he loved us that much.

Any other nominees?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 05:531 edit
    I nominate Sisyphus, the absurd hero. Due to his "scorn of the gods, his hatred of death, and his passion for life," Sisyphus was condemned to the eternal task of rolling a rock up to the highest point of a mountain, whence it would promptly roll back down to the valley floor. He repeats the process ad infinitum. By some accounts, Sisyphus is able to find happiness in the process, but his job certainly seems less cushy than sitting at the right hand of the Father.

EDIT: I have to admit, though, that Prometheus seems tough to beat, especially with the liver-eating eagle attacks.
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 06:04
    Mankind, who was subjected to women (the worst punishment Zues could think of) in the form of Pandora.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 12:582 edits
    I will nominate Richard Christy of the Howard Stern Show, who sacrificed himself when Paula Abdul did not show for an appearance by getting his ass and nuts waxed. Prometheus had it easy compared to this.

Go to howardstern.com to see pics of Nora giving him a Brazilian wax. Mel Gibson, take that!
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 16:48
    I'd like to nominate Sol, or the Sun itself. Creator of All Mankind from Dust (or 'slimy ooze/chemical soup', for the anti-evolutionists among us), it is almost imperceptibly burning itself out...giving its' life so that we may live. And it's not like there's any cults or religions based on that....is there?
  6. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:32
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I nominate Sisyphus, the absurd hero. Due to his "scorn of the gods, his hatred of death, and his passion for life," Sisyphus was condemned to the eternal task of rolling a rock up to the highest point of a mountain, whence it would promptly roll back down to the valley floor. He repeats the process ad infinitum. By some accounts, Sisyphus is ab ...[text shortened]... , though, that Prometheus seems tough to beat, especially with the liver-eating eagle attacks.
    But what did Sisyphus sacrifice? It sounds to me like what he had was taken away. He didn't willfully give up anything, did he?
  7. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:34
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Mankind, who was subjected to women (the worst punishment Zues could think of) in the form of Pandora.
    Same thing as Sisyphus. Mankind was punished by the gift of woman (Pandora) certainly, but never did mankind willfully sacrifice itself or something of itself for the sake of something else. This isn't a punishment contest, but the Sacrifice Pageant 2006!
  8. The sky
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 21:08
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Same thing as Sisyphus. Mankind was punished by the gift of woman (Pandora) certainly, but never did mankind willfully sacrifice itself or something of itself for the sake of something else. This isn't a punishment contest, but the Sacrifice Pageant 2006!
    Can we nominate chess pieces which sacrifice themselves to save the game?
  9. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 21:17
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Can we nominate chess pieces which sacrifice themselves to save the game?
    I shudder when I say: use your own judgement.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 00:43
    I shudder when I say: use your own judgement.
    Well, it's not like she nominated some guy getting his ass and nuts waxed.
  11. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 02:301 edit
    No more nominees? Alright, let me throw in another. Odin, the All Father, chief god of the Norse peoples, hung from the World Tree for nine days so that his people could gain the power of runes (writing). On a seperate occasion, he sacrificed his own eyes for a drink from the Well of Wisdom so he could better help his people. That's love, man.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 02:473 edits
    Ivanhoe, who through the legendary and selfless shedding of his own blood gave the Wolfpack a taste of its own medicine which it would remember for many months and years following his weekend forum ban.
  13. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 04:24
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I will nominate Richard Christy of the Howard Stern Show, who sacrificed himself when Paula Abdul did not show for an appearance by getting his ass and nuts waxed. Prometheus had it easy compared to this.

Go to howardstern.com to see pics of Nora giving him a Brazilian wax. Mel Gibson, take that!
    I nominate you for knowing anything about the howard stern show.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 03:13
    Let us gather and explore sacrifice protrayed in Myth/Religion and decide once and for all who gets the Gold. Here I give a couple of examples. Others can certainly be nominated. Let's start the show!

First down the catwalk is Jesus Christ. He is sporting a very skimpy andn quite revealing three days of death. Not much to start with, and he less ...[text shortened]... ay. All of this he was willing to suffer because he loved us that much.

Any other nominees?
    Odin and the other old gods who prepare for the final battle which they will lose, in the knowledge that they will lose, it but prepare to fight the battle anyway.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 03:18
    Ah, the laughs we'll have, looking back on these days, standing before the judgment seat of Christ.
    God, were we funny!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree