1. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 12:24
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    If creationists have convinced you that most Christians believe as they do then you've been fooled. Most Christians take Genesis to be a non-literal interpretation and are quite happy with evolution as the method by which God created man.

EDIT: No, I'm not a Christian.
    I did not say anything about most Christians specific beliefs. In fact as I said they actually differ from person to person. Do you have any evidence to back up your 'most' statement as I am not aware of any evidence either way (ie worldwide statistics).
    However my point was that any specific belief may be in conflict with science, and very few Christians have no beliefs that are in conflict with accepted scientific principles.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 12:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I did not say anything about most Christians specific beliefs. In fact as I said they actually differ from person to person. Do you have any evidence to back up your 'most' statement as I am not aware of any evidence either way (ie worldwide statistics).
    However my point was that any specific belief may be in conflict with science, and very few Christians have no beliefs that are in conflict with accepted scientific principles.
    Unfortunately I have no evidence except personal experience. The Creationists seem to be a small but extremely loud (online) minority.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 12:27
    'Guess I'm one of the few.
  4. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 12:30
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    If the basic truth is that God is author of it all, what about when science repudiates his christian understanding of God?
    Irrelevant, if he is grounded in faith in God rather than church doctrine he should be content with this whichever of his understandings are overturned. Any understanding is merely a reflection of an echo.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 13:28
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Unfortunately I have no evidence except personal experience. The Creationists seem to be a small but extremely loud (online) minority.
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

According to various polls (I dont know the accuracy), the belief in Creationism is quite high in america. In the 40-50% region. Considering that not all americans are Christian this would imply that it could tip over 50% for Christians.
  6. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 13:37
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

According to various polls (I dont know the accuracy), the belief in Creationism is quite high in america. In the 40-50% region. Considering that not all americans are Christian this would imply that it could tip over 50% for Christians.
    Do these polls make a distinction by what these people SPECIFICALLY mean with a belief in Creationism.

It would be all too easy to ask a question in a poll about a belief in the original creation of the world and then just lump them in with all that is currently pushed as Creationism.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 14:21
    Originally posted by JadeMantis
    Do these polls make a distinction by what these people SPECIFICALLY mean with a belief in Creationism.

It would be all too easy to ask a question in a poll about a belief in the original creation of the world and then just lump them in with all that is currently pushed as Creationism.
    http://www.unl.edu/rhames/courses/current/creation/evol-poll.htm

I belive that a gallup poll asked responders to choose between:
    1. Humans developed, with God guiding
    2. Humans developed, but God had no part in process
    3. God created humans in present form
    4. No opinion
    and in 2001 it got the results
    1. 37%
    2. 12%
    3. 45%
    4. 6%
    If we assume that respondents in 2 are mostly not Christian (quite likely) then more US Christians are Creationists than are not.
  8. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 14:39
    http://www.unl.edu/rhames/courses/current/creation/evol-poll.htm

I belive that a gallup poll asked responders to choose between:
    1. Humans developed, with God guiding
    2. Humans developed, but God had no part in process
    3. God created humans in present form
    4. No opinion
    and in 2001 it got the results
    1. 37%
    2. 12%
    3. 45%
    4. 6%
    If we assume th ...[text shortened]... 2 are mostly not Christian (quite likely) then more US Christians are Creationists than are not.
    How many of the 45% are not Christian either?

Either way it would appear that about 50-60% of US Christians believe such.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree