1. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 00:00
    Hello there.. I don't believe in god, and, I wanted to ask how people think when they say they belive in god? Do you believe in a little man up there in the blue, or is "god" a collection-word of something else.. That is, would god be a function of, let's say something divine good (but to us unknown), or is god something concrete and definite?

I've been quite interested in the sound idea of believing in a god, but I can't anyhow bring myself to justify it, it's seems to me quite irrational and nothing more than a psychological self-fooling. Where's the "start" of the thought which makes me not undecisively believe otherwise? I think it could be sound to have a belief, but I just don't see a path to there or that I could ever convince myself.. and I think convincing myself also wouldn't be a good option-it would be to fool myself.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 00:27
    Originally posted by Golub
    Hello there.. I don't believe in god, and, I wanted to ask how people think when they say they belive in god? Do you believe in a little man up there in the blue, or is "god" a collection-word of something else.. That is, would god be a function of, let's say something divine good (but to us unknown), or is god something concrete and definite?

I've been qui ...[text shortened]... I think convincing myself also wouldn't be a good option-it would be to fool myself.
    i don't believe in god either (for some of the reasons you said), but things in my life that has happened have made me stop and think about it for a while. maybe there is a "god" but not the kind that created the world in 7 days or made a virgin give birth to his son, a sort of spirit that for whatever reason decides to help some people sometimes. or maybe its just that things work out for the best for positive people who care and try to be helpfull/kind to all creatures.
  3. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 00:28

I've been qui ...[text shortened]... I think convincing myself also wouldn't be a good option-it would be to fool myself.
    I can't do that for you.

However, even in a perfect world/universe, you could say that god does not exist.

Hume's problem of evil, would still be fair if evil did not exist. For even in a perfect world with absolute happiness, you can claim that it naurally exists without any assistance from a divine supernatural being.

Philosophy anyone?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 05:001 edit

I've been qui I think convincing myself also wouldn't be a good option-it would be to fool myself.
    Is love rational? Is it measurable? Do you believe in it? Does it exist?
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 05:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    Is love rational? Is it measurable? Do you believe in it? Does it exist?
    Is the concept of magnetic flux rational? Is it directly measurable? Do you believe in it? Does it exist?
  6. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 05:121 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Is the concept of magnetic flux rational? Is it directly measurable? Do you believe in it? Does it exist?
    It hardly matters... In reality he's a little buggerer living in my closet. 😉 I think he gets out to snipe & play in the gutter when I'm not watching, but God only knows what he really gets a rise out of ...😵
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 16:02
    http://billygraham.com/SpiritualHelp_Article_Index.asp?MajorTopicID=1&MinorTopicID=9
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 18:55
    ...believing in a god... seems to me quite irrational and nothing more than a psychological self-fooling.
    Could you provide a reasoned and logical basis for this assertion?
  9. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 18:58
    I've been quite interested in the sound idea of believing in a god, but I can't anyhow bring myself to justify it, it's seems to me quite irrational and nothing more than a psychological self-fooling. Where's the "start" of the thought which makes me not undecisively believe otherwise? I think it could be sound to have a belief, but I just don't see a path to there or that I could ever convince myself..
    The best place to start with this kind of thing is in stillness. Go within and become more aware of what's happening in your spirit. Allow yourself to go on a spiritual journey and see what happens. Where theism starts to get real is when you start thinking about things like the idea that God is with us all the time. See if you get any sense of his presence in the stillness. Try and think about it less in terms of what you 'believe' intellectually and go for a more experiential knowledge. As for the self fooling bit...you can never get rid of that . No-one can ever be sure 100%, hence faith.
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 19:06
    Originally posted by Tetsujin
    I can't do that for you.

However, even in a perfect world/universe, you could say that god does not exist.

Hume's problem of evil, would still be fair if evil did not exist. For even in a perfect world with absolute happiness, you can claim that it naurally exists without any assistance from a divine supernatural being.

Philosophy anyone?
    I'm afraid I don't follow you. How/why would evil exist in a perfect world as I thought a perfect world is by definition without evil? The supernatural is not essential to explain the existence of evil -- do I hear an argument for free will?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree