1. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 11:291 edit
    Recently a friend (who's not Buddhist, BTW) said I'm 'almost a secular Buddhist'. Should I take this as a compliment? Is anyone out there a real secular Buddhist, and if so, can you explain to me what it involves?
  2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 12:00
    Anything about BIG CATS aside, I'd recommend reading "The Snow Leopard" by Peter Matthiessen on this subject.
  3. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 12:53
    I think the term 'lay Buddhist' might fit more appropriately rather than using 'secular' as a descriptive adjective.

A person who hears/reads the Buddha's teaching, contemplates it, finds value in it, and wants to use it as a basis for waking up from the dreams of delusion of this fleeting existence, can decide to formally become a Buddhist. That entails finding a recognized and qualified teacher (most often in a Theravada, Zen, or Vajrayana tradition) and, with sincerity in one's heart, taking refuge in the Buddha (the teacher), the Dharma (the path), and the Sangha (those companions established on the path).

Becoming a Buddhist comes from an inner conviction that by applying the Buddha's teaching, through one's own efforts and discernment, one will eventually lessen greed, anger, fundamental ignorance, and so on. At the same time, one will find that positive qualities such as the wish to benefit oneself and others in a non-dualistic way increases.

There are many ways to go about Buddhist practice. They all boil down to using the methods that countless practioners have found invaluable over many centuries.

I hope my meager understanding doesn't confuse the issue.
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 13:15
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    Recently a friend (who's not Buddhist, BTW) said I'm 'almost a secular Buddhist'. Should I take this as a compliment? Is anyone out there a real secular Buddhist, and if so, can you explain to me what it involves?
    I'd say you were more of a circular digestive myself but that's just me 😕
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '05 19:40
    As a long-time Zen sitter, I do not know what a 'secular Buddhist' is but it has a nice ring to it, suggesting to me a simple practice that orients one toward their worldly life, independently of religious theatrics.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Sep '05 20:25
    Originally posted by Algernon
    As a long-time Zen sitter, I do not know what a 'secular Buddhist' is but it has a nice ring to it, suggesting to me a simple practice that orients one toward their worldly life, independently of religious theatrics.
    Concise and well-put. I offer you your first rec.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '05 21:09
    I am one I suppose. It's all that zen dharma gubbins the man said but you don't need any conviction at all. In fact you don't need to be anything special or believe in anything or anybody supernatural. It's a useful way of coming to terms with the old adage "life is pain". It allows you to smell the flowers on the way, regardless of how much crap they're growing in :-)
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Sep '05 21:13
    Originally posted by connerac
    I am one I suppose. It's all that zen dharma gubbins the man said but you don't need any conviction at all. In fact you don't need to be anything special or believe in anything or anybody supernatural. It's a useful way of coming to terms with the old adage "life is pain". It allows you to smell the flowers on the way, regardless of how much crap they're growing in :-)
    Okay, you too. 🙂
  9. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    14 Sep '05 21:15
    Originally posted by connerac
    It helps to have a conviction or two - lends you some notoriety!
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Sep '05 21:26
    Originally posted by widget
    It helps to have a conviction or two - lends you some notoriety!
    “A very popular error: having the courage of one's convictions; rather it is a matter of having the courage for an attack on one's convictions." —Friedrich Nietzsche

Of course, having a conviction or two still helps! 🙂 And Nietzsche’s only half-right.
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '05 22:05
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Concise and well-put. I offer you your first rec.
    Thank you. What are these recs for? How do they work?
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Sep '05 22:58
    Originally posted by Algernon
    Thank you. What are these recs for? How do they work?
    I think there's a page here somewhere where you can see which posts had recently garnered the greatest number of recommendations (recs) from subscribers. I just rec posts that I think are good, as a way of sayin' "right on" (if I agree with content) or "well done" if I just appreciate the presentation.

Some folks, though seem to take their number of recs very seriously...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree