Seismic activity as a sign of the last days

Seismic activity as a sign of the last days

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Apr 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Then I suggest that you write to the United States Geological Survey and tell them how funny you find their collection of data.
Yet again you have got the wrong end of the stick Robert. I don't find the data from the USGS funny, far from it. I find the author of the article you cited trying to extrapolate trends from an incomplete data source funny. Claiming there is a six-fold increase in seismic activity over a certain period because they have missed over 120 earthquakes from their calculations is comedy gold. Poor religious saps like yourself hoping for the end of the world lap it up.

Moves
19 Apr 16

This Week’s Back-to-Back Earthquakes Don’t Mean the World Is Ending

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2016/04/the_ecuador_and_japan_earthquakes_aren_t_unusual_because_they_happened_in.html

Although he said earthquakes remain in general something to be cautious and prepared about, the events in Ecuador and Japan don’t elevate future risk. “There’s nothing in the past week that indicates a change in terms of large-plate tectonics,” Ritsema says. “The Earth hasn’t changed. This is normal Earth behavior. If you look at the long-term catalogs for earthquakes over spans of years, there’s nothing really telling us that this is a cluster of events. It’s just statistics.”

rc

Moves
19 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Yet again you have got the wrong end of the stick Robert. I don't find the data from the USGS funny, far from it. I find the author of the article you cited trying to extrapolate trends from an incomplete data source funny. Claiming there is a six-fold increase in seismic activity over a certain period because they have missed over 120 earthquakes from t ...[text shortened]... ons is comedy gold. Poor religious saps like yourself hoping for the end of the world lap it up.
oh dear if we included your data it would make the prophesy even more outstanding, poor atheistic saps like you as soon as they hear anything in conjunction with Biblical prophecy must do all they can to attempt to refute it rather than accept the simple reality.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 16
2 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
I never said there was no increase. I just said that an increase like that ALWAYS is followed by a decrease because of locks released by said quakes. Eventually locks re-assemble waiting for the next release which is by definition an earthquake.

Why did you think I was denying in increase in activity. I never said that. I SAID the increase we see now wil ...[text shortened]... this second coming but I for one am not selling my house and moving back to Jerusalem just yet.
ummm no one has actually claimed that earthquakes have been caused by Jesus Christ and its hilarious to think that you think that this is what we are saying. Jesus make no mention of why they occur, he merely states that in the epoch after the first world war (nation rising against nation and kingdom against kingdom) Earthquakes would be a salient feature.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Apr 16
3 edits

ummm no one has actually claimed that earthquakes have been caused by Jesus Christ and its hilarious to think that you think that this is what we are saying. Jesus make no mention of why they occur, he merely states that in the epoch after the first world war (nation rising against nation and kingdom against kingdom) Earthquakes would be a salient feature.
Again, I say, how do you know that was from JC? That was written by Matt 50 years later. Old Matt could say JC started McDonalds hamburgers just as well and people would believe that also. Besides, the rise of Hannibal and such was to my mind a world war, the Roman Empire Vs Hannibal and his army. The Roman's were under attack from many sides at the same time. WE are the ones who say WW1 was the first world war. There have been hundreds of very large wars in the past 2000 years. For those dudes, a million years is 'soon'.

You sill think JC prophesied big earthquakes but I say that is still wishful thinking. You know full well JC said he would be back 'SOON' and nobody I know except geologists would say 2000 years is soon.

This end days deal has been going on as a scam for the past 2000 years, every downturn, some theologian says, wow, signs of the end days for sure this time folks, come to meeting Thursday and we will show you what is going on. Blessed be the Lord.

Then 50 years later, some flood or earthquake happens and the newest generation of scammers comes on with the 'end days' mythology which it becomes after the first few hundred years followed by no return.

So here we are 2000 years later and 1, no return, 2 Earth hasn't split in two, there are no plagues, life goes on as usual except for Iraq and Libya and Syria and Afghan.

You really can't wait for the rapture can you?

rc

Moves
19 Apr 16

Again, I say, how do you know that was from JC? That was written by Matt 50 years later. Old Matt could say JC started McDonalds hamburgers just as well and people would believe that also. Besides, the rise of Hannibal and such was to my mind a world war, the Roman Empire Vs Hannibal and his army. The Roman's were under attack from many sides at the same ti ...[text shortened]... cept for Iraq and Libya and Syria and Afghan.

You really can't wait for the rapture can you?
ummm i do not actually profess belief in the so called 'rapture' either.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 16

Originally posted by googlefudge
This Week’s Back-to-Back Earthquakes Don’t Mean the World Is Ending

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2016/04/the_ecuador_and_japan_earthquakes_aren_t_unusual_because_they_happened_in.html

Although he said earthquakes remain in general something to be cautious and prepared about, the events in Ecuador and Japan don’t e ...[text shortened]... ere’s nothing really telling us that this is a cluster of events. It’s just statistics.”
poor atheistic sapling!

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Apr 16

oh dear if we included your data it would make the prophesy even more outstanding, poor atheistic saps like you as soon as they hear anything in conjunction with Biblical prophecy must do all they can to attempt to refute it rather than accept the simple reality.
First off it's not my data is it? It's the data from the USGS website. Secondly it doesn't 'make the prophecy even more outstanding', far from it in fact. A quick search for seismic data from the 1970's shows that the OP's data is way off again. Your link claims that from 1939-1976 there were only 71 earthquakes with a mag of 6.99+, but data from a link i'll post below shows that from 1970-1976 there were 113 alone in this period. Again, making a mockery of the stats provided in the article.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Apr 16

The scientific data is well known and understood and demonstrates an accelerated trend in the frequency of earthquakes over a magnitude of 6.99 for the given period. You can either accept it or deny or explain it by any means necessary.
The [...] data is well known [...]

Yep, since about the 1950s.

[...]and understood[...]

Kinda.

and demonstrates an accelerated trend in the frequency of earthquakes over a magnitude of 6.99 for the given period.

No, it doesn't. These earthquakes are too rare to extrapolate reliable trends over such a short time period. What the data shows is that in some years there have been more large earthquakes than in others which should surprise exactly nobody and means exactly nothing in terms of a "trend." If I throw some dice and get 5 sixes in a row there is no "trend" of "getting sixes."

Moves
19 Apr 16

poor atheistic sapling!
Robbie, coming here will tenuous and incomplete data and seemingly little understanding of the causes of earthquakes, you were always heading for a spanking. (And you have been spanked).

Even your casual assertion., "he merely states that epoch after the first world war (nation rising against nation and kingdom against kingdom) Earthquakes would be a salient feature," is erroneous and wild conjecture. - It is you 'Robbie Carrobie' who equates the first world war as the start of the epoch, not Jesus. Nation has been rising against nation for millennia.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 16
2 edits

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
[b]The [...] data is well known [...]

Yep, since about the 1950s.

[...]and understood[...]

Kinda.

and demonstrates an accelerated trend in the frequency of earthquakes over a magnitude of 6.99 for the given period.

No, it doesn't. These earthquakes are too rare to extrapolate reliable trends over such a short time period ...[text shortened]... a "trend." If I throw some dice and get 5 sixes in a row there is no "trend" of "getting sixes."[/b]
too rare, bwahahahah, poor atheistic sapling! we must go on what data we have not make excuses because they do not occur as frequently as we should desire!

"We have recently experienced a period that has had one of the highest rates of great earthquakes ever recorded," said lead study author Tom Parsons, a research geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in Menlo Park, California.

KazetNagorra - not we haven't! 🙄

Cape Town

Moves
19 Apr 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
If I throw some dice and get 5 sixes in a row there is no "trend" of "getting sixes."
Except Robbie didn't throw 5 sixes in a row. He found a website that claimed that 5 sixes in a row had been thrown. We then pointed him to the website of the guy who actually keeps proper dice records (and whom his source claimed to have got his data from), who says something quite different, and robbie refused to look. Now that others have looked and pointed out that actually hundreds of dice were thrown and some guy on the internet just grabbed 5 sixes out of the results and pretended that was a trend.

The interesting thing about all this is it is obvious Robbie has known from the start that it was all a lie or he would have been happy to look at the USGS data. So, is this all part of his scheme to become a 'post great chess player'
mental

rc

Moves
19 Apr 16
5 edits

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Robbie, coming here will tenuous and incomplete data and seemingly little understanding of the causes of earthquakes, you were always heading for a spanking. (And you have been spanked).

Even your casual assertion., "he merely states that epoch after the first world war (nation rising against nation and kingdom against kingdom) Earthquakes would ...[text shortened]... d war as the start of the epoch, not Jesus. Nation has been rising against nation for millennia.
I understand perfectly well what causes earthquakes and the data that was utilised was sound and provided by the United states geographical survey. That it did not encompass every single seismic event still does not nor cannot negate the fact that there has been marked trend in the frequency of large earthquakes and no matter how much you want it not to be, it is the case and no amount of references to words like incomplete, dubious, unsound etc etc etc will ever negate those facts.

Sure you can make personal references to me and whatever it is that you need as a crutch for your failure to comprehend this but reality will make inroads. It is not wild conjecture, its an established scientific fact that in this epoch seismic activity has increased from its beginning until now, tremendously so. Now you poor atheistic sapling, you can cry about it all you like, tell your momma or write to Richard Dawkins for comfort, whatever it is you need to get over it, but its a fact.

I challenge you to find any other epoch from the time of Christ in which the earth was engaged in warfare to the same extent as the first world war where nation did rise against nation and kingdom did rise against Kingdom to the extent that 95 percent of the Earths population was involved in or threatened by warfare, otherwise, your opinions are uncorroborated and simply based on an appeal to your own authority, its true because i say its true and look, you are bereft of anything approaching reason.

No one is disputing that nation has not risen against nation, but the first truly global war was the first world war where nation rose against nation and kingdom against kingdom, not some localised conflict that finds no basis in Jesus words which clearly indicate a global war.

"We have recently experienced a period that has had one of the highest rates of great earthquakes ever recorded," said lead study author Tom Parsons, a research geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in Menlo Park, California. (Emphasis added)

Sorry you were saying something about a spanking? May I suggest you suck it up!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Apr 16

I understand perfectly well what causes earthquakes and the data that was utilised was sound and provided by the United states geographical survey. That it did not encompass every single seismic event still does not nor cannot negate the fact that there has been marked trend in the frequency of large earthquakes and no matter how much you want it no ...[text shortened]... some localised conflict that finds no basis in Jesus words which clearly indicate a global war.
What you can't get past is the fact that an upsweep in quakes is ALWAYS followed by a downsweep, bell curve wise. Just because we are seeing an upstroke now just means we have not seen the peak of activity following which there will be a downstroke till the next cluster hits.

If you want to insist this was all prophesied by JC believe what you will. That will not change the frequency of earthquakes one iota.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 16
2 edits

What you can't get past is the fact that an upsweep in quakes is ALWAYS followed by a downsweep, bell curve wise. Just because we are seeing an upstroke now just means we have not seen the peak of activity following which there will be a downstroke till the next cluster hits.

If you want to insist this was all prophesied by JC believe what you will. That will not change the frequency of earthquakes one iota.
dude you tell yourself whatever it is you need to comfort yourself.

Again all that Christ has stated is that this epoch which began with the first world war has seen a marked increase in the frequency of large earthquakes. Evidently he was correct. Imagine that, shock horror! time to get out the ol atheist Bible, the God delusion, offer up some incense to an effigy of Charles Darwin and invoke the help of Spok! 😵