1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 02:36
    Came across this article from a blog entitled "Thoughtful Christian Insights".

Following are some excerpts, but it's worth reading in its entirety.
    It seems to me that modern-day american Christianity has lost it's way.

Wait, strike that, true Christianity does not lose it's way, but what many of us call Christianity has strayed far from what the early church called Christianity.

We have forgotten the poor and catered to the rich.

We fight for our rights and our freedoms and forget that Jesus has called us to die to ourselves, to lay down our lives.

We get angry that Illegal Immigrants are coming into our country and taking "our jobs" when we could be ministering to these people.

America has adopted a self-centered Christianity, which is no Christianity at all. We have adopted Benjamin Franklin's idea that "God helps those who help themselves", which is not in the bible, by the way.

Biblical Christianity calls for the death of ourselves, the death of our desires, the death of our wants. It tells us to "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."

It calls for us be radical followers of a radical Christ who denounced the pleasures of this fallen world for the life and light of heaven.

http://thoughtfulchristianinsights.blogspot.com/2007/01/self-centered-christianity.html

Seems like the author is pretty accurate in his views. Thoughts?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 02:511 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

Wait, strike that, true Christianity does not lose it's way, but what many of us call Christianity has strayed far from wha .html

Hallelujah! Testify!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 09:46

Wait, strike that, true Christianity does not lose it's way, but what many of us call Christianity has strayed far from wha ...[text shortened]... .html

I wouldn't disagree.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 17:17

Wait, strike that, true Christianity does not lose it's way, but what many of us call Christianity has strayed far from wha ...[text shortened]... .html

My thoughts are that this person that is writing this is a picker and chooser. There are ideas for the way things should and might be and the reality of the way things really are. A Christian is simply a sinner who has accepted Christ as his savior and wishes to follow the teachings of Christ. But in reality being "no part of this world" as the JWs say, is not a possibility while we are in the flesh.

As the apostle Paul wrote, " For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin."

(Romans 7:14-25 NKJV)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 16:27
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    My thoughts are that this person that is writing this is a picker and chooser. There are ideas for the way things should and might be and the reality of the way things really are. A Christian is simply a sinner who has accepted Christ as his savior and wishes to follow the teachings of Christ. But in reality being "no part of this world" as the JWs say, i ...[text shortened]...
    (Romans 7:14-25 NKJV)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    You know what? Paul in this passage you quote makes as much sense as you do sometimes. Paul is not a plain-spoken man here.

It is not unimaginable for someone to open their Bible to this page and give up in disgust. It is not easily understood.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 16:28

Welcome to Capitalist Christianity.

🙁
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 19:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Welcome to Capitalist Christianity.

🙁
    That's certainly a large part of it. That said, self-centeredness goes way beyond greed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree