1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 16:59
    Significance of adverse contemporary events?

Thread 143231

Thoughts...
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 17:11
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Significance of adverse contemporary events?

Thread 143231

Thoughts...[/b]
    Depends, do you mean long term or short term?

Long term then, meh, nothing new, we've seen worse and lived through it, it's not the end of the world.

Short term, yeah its pretty bad, although some of those events are much more significant that others.
    Some of those events are linked and others are random.

And I don't know that any of them have any spiritual significance at all.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 17:19
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Depends, do you mean long term or short term?

Long term then, meh, nothing new, we've seen worse and lived through it, it's not the end of the world.

Short term, yeah its pretty bad, although some of those events are much more significant that others.
    Some of those events are linked and others are random.

And I don't know that any of them have any spiritual significance at all.
    Hi, GF. Thanks for your reply. Did ou scan my post at the top of page 2 of the linked thread?

gb
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 17:35
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Hi, GF. Thanks for your reply. Did you scan my post at the top of page 2 of the linked thread?

gb
    I hadn't, I simply read the OP as that was what I assumed the debate was about.
    Again perhaps less economy of words and more elaboration would result in less wondering
    of what the point is and more discussion of it.

No I don't think the 'end is coming' or is prophesied or any of that garbage.

People have been predicting the end of the world for millennia and have always been wrong.
    People always think there own time, or the latest crisis is the worst that has ever been and
    will only ever get worse, and they have always been wrong as well.

The reason being that there is no god, no rapture or Armageddon, no afterlife and no existential
    significance to our lives.
    There is just this, our reality, which we should try to make as nice as possible for all of us.

I don't know how this current 'crisis' will play out, and I suspect that their will be more than enough
    misery to go round before it's over, but it's entirely possible, if not even plausible, that life after this
    crisis might not be better than before it.
    Shifting the balance of power away from the rich elite 1% to the 99% may well be a good thing.

And in your list you missed out the overwhelmingly biggest threat to us and our civilisation.
    Global climate change, dealing with that may well also make our society better.

The end of the world as we know it, has happened before, many times....
    However it never meant the world ended, just became different.

Often it became better, after a struggle.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 17:54
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I hadn't, I simply read the OP as that was what I assumed the debate was about.
    Again perhaps less economy of words and more elaboration would result in less wondering
    of what the point is and more discussion of it.

No I don't think the 'end is coming' or is prophesied or any of that garbage.

People have been predicting the end of the world for ...[text shortened]... nt the world ended, just became different.

Often it became better, after a struggle.
    Climate change doesn't fit into their script, so they ignore it.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 20:15
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Which is odd because nothing else other than potential global nuclear war presently fits the bill for,
    'the apocalypses is coming' doomsday materiel than the worlds climate shifting in unpredictable and
    probably catastrophic ways.

Probably because they get so much money from big oil who are obviously bastions of truth and
    democracy because they make so much hard cash.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 21:01
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Why?

People have been predicting the end of the world for millennia and have always been wrong.
    People always think there own time, or the latest crisis is the worst that has ever been and

Same applies to the global-sky-is-warming-and/or-falling crews.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 22:36
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Why?

Same applies to the global-sky-is-warming-and/or-falling crews.
    This is the wrong place for a climate change debate because it is definitively not a spiritual issue.

However the same does not apply to climate change because it isn't a 'prediction' based on some
    ancient text that can be read 50 different ways.

It's an observed scientific fact, with mountains of carefully scrutinised data to back it up.

The two are not remotely comparable.

One is rational and evidenced based, the other is irrational and faith based.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree