1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 18:45
    My awesome puns aside. Let's be honest. It is faith to believe the singularity has existed forever and spontaneously exploded, is it not?
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    13 Mar '05 19:34
    Bump
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    13 Mar '05 19:53
    Originally posted by Darfius
    My awesome puns aside. Let's be honest. It is faith to believe the singularity has existed forever and spontaneously exploded, is it not?
    Why wouldn't a geometric point exist forever?
  4. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 00:19
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Faith isn't about what you believe, it's about how you believe it. If you reckon that the Big Bang is a good model for the formation of the universe because you haven't seen any better ideas, but are perfectly prepared to change your mind if you do, that's not faith. If, on the other hand, you're absolutely sure that the Big Bang theory is true, and have no desire to find evidence to confirm or discredit this, that's faith.

Likewise, people who assume the existence of God because they 'might as well' (eg Pascal's Wager, or they find it convenient to believe in God so they have someone to pray to) do not necessarily have faith in God.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 04:11
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    Faith isn't about what you believe, it's about how you believe it. If you reckon that the Big Bang is a good model for the formation of the universe because you haven't seen any better ideas, but are perfectly prepared to change your mind if you do, that's not faith. If, on the other hand, you're absolutely sure that the Big Bang theory is true, and h ...[text shortened]... venient to believe in God so they have someone to pray to) do not necessarily have faith in God.
    What is your theory on how the universe came into being? If the Big Bang, what caused it?
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 04:12
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Why wouldn't a geometric point exist forever?
    Quit dressing things up. Because something cannot come from nothing. Even if I grant you the "geometric point", what caused the Big Bang?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree