1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 18:15
    Originally posted by JS357
    Therefore, Matthew 7:13,14) does not have to insist that God desires only a few to have eternal life. As far as salvation is concerned "[God] desires all men to be saved and to come to the full knowledge of the truth." ( 1 Timothy 2:4)

Does the Biblical God have any desires that are not satisfied in every way and to the degree specified by Him?
    Does the Biblical God have any desires that are not satisfied in every way and to the degree specified by Him?

This is a good question. If God desires ALL MEN TO BE SAVED will He fulfill somehow His desire ?

That is the argument of the Universalist. And they point to an Isaiah passage which says that God will accomplish all of His desire.

I think for the moment I will evade answering. Its kind of tough. I am not sure that I know the answer to that.

I think that He fulfills His desire yet not all will be saved.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 18:45
    The biggest problem with the OP, is that most of the questions are addressed not to atheists, but to theists considering atheism. The questioner has not put himself in the position of the atheist and asked 'what if', but has rather looked at his own position and asked 'without my God what then?'.
    This shows in how God is seen as a big hole to be filled, whereas to an atheist, there is no God (and thus no hole to be filled).
    As others have pointed out, the questions may be relevant to a theist who has just lost their faith and is looking for a replacement, but for the average atheist, I would think the questions show a remarkable lack of understanding of the atheist position.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 05:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The biggest problem with the OP, is that most of the questions are addressed not to atheists, but to theists considering atheism. The questioner has not put himself in the position of the atheist and asked 'what if', but has rather looked at his own position and asked 'without my God what then?'.
    This shows in how God is seen as a big hole to be filled, ...[text shortened]... I would think the questions show a remarkable lack of understanding of the atheist position.
    After reading your post, I decided to google "Atheist Position on God" and up
    came this post by a guy named, Danny.

Atheist Position on God

Hemant Mehta asks:

Which statement should atheists be using?

1. There is probably no god.

2. There is no god.

In my book, Atheism is reverence toward God.

If God is almighty and all powerful, and leads an existence in the Universe beyond my ability to perceive it, then the most responsible approach I can take towards this thing beyond my perception is to shut the heck up about it, and focus on our collective worldly life.

So, maybe “God does not exist within my perception of reality.”

Or perhaps, “The question of God’s existence is irrelevant, but if for some reason it needs to reveal itself unto me, I bet it could hook that up.”

Or more modesty? “I have been unable to perceive the existence or intentions of God. I do think that Faith is important, and I put my faith in humanity, which tests my faith as surely as God tests the faith of its believers.”

Is this really the position of atheists on God?
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 14:15
    Originally posted by RJHinds

Atheist Position on God

Hemant Mehta asks:

2. There is no god.

If God is almighty and all powerful, a ...[text shortened]... y as God tests the faith of its believers.”

im a bit confused by the question. is it statement 1 and 2 you are referring to or the whole text? non of the positions seem like they are the thoughts of atheist, they look like the thoughts of a theist pretending to be an atheist. between the statements id say number 1 is the closest to how i feel.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 14:29

Atheist Position on God

Hemant Mehta asks:

2. There is no god.

If God is almighty and all powerful, a ...[text shortened]... y as God tests the faith of its believers.”

The only universality among atheists is that they (by definition) don't hold a belief in the existence of
    god or gods.

Other than that you can find people who will tell you 'their' position on god. and you can find positions
    that 'many' atheists hold, but there is no "this is what atheists think" other then the aforementioned
    lacking a belief in a god or gods.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 17:001 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    im a bit confused by the question. is it statement 1 and 2 you are referring to or the whole text? non of the positions seem like they are the thoughts of atheist, they look like the thoughts of a theist pretending to be an atheist. between the statements id say number 1 is the closest to how i feel.
    Here is the link maybe you can fiqure out what he is from it.

http://dannyman.toldme.com/2010/01/08/oh-god-whatever/

I was referring to this statement:

"In my book, Atheism is reverence toward God."

P.S. Even though he lacks the belief in God, which googlefudge states is the
    commonality among atheist, he makes the above statement about the possible
    existence of God.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 17:03
    "In my book, Atheism is reverence toward God."
    This is simply nonsense.

Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods.

You can't be reverent to something you don't believe exists.

And Atheism is the non-belief in ALL god concepts so there is no special feeling or treatment
    of any individual god concept.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 17:091 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    This is simply nonsense.

Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods.

You can't be reverent to something you don't believe exists.

And Atheism is the non-belief in ALL god concepts so there is no special feeling or treatment
    of any individual god concept.
    So in your opinion this man is not a true atheist just like some that claim to be
    Christian are not true Christians, right?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 21:45

Atheist Position on God

Hemant Mehta asks:

2. There is no god.

The problem for you with atheism is you are so brainwashed by your christian dogma your cognitive dissonance cannot bring you around to even acknowledging there even could be such a concept as atheism.

So you end up distrusting, hating, disturbed by, whatever adjective you want to place here in regards to atheists and atheism in general.

You view atheists and atheism as enemy. You have no gray, only black and white, either you are for me or against me.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 22:40
    So in your opinion this man is not a true atheist just like some that claim to be
    Christian are not true Christians, right?
    No.

There is no such thing as 'true atheism' as distinct from any other atheism.

You either have a belief in a god or gods or you don't.

If you don't you are an atheist.

It's that simple.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 00:32
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No.

There is no such thing as 'true atheism' as distinct from any other atheism.

You either have a belief in a god or gods or you don't.

If you don't you are an atheist.

It's that simple.
    A Christian believes Christ is God in the Flesh. HalleluYAH !!! 😏
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 00:40
    A Christian believes Christ is God in the Flesh. HalleluYAH !!! 😏
    Well, ok, but how is that a response to my post?

Are you just degenerating into a Christian-creationist-bumper-sticker franking machine?
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 01:39
    A Christian believes Christ is God in the Flesh. HalleluYAH !!! 🙄
    nah, that was a catholic invention.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 02:41
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    nah, that was a catholic invention.
    And Einstien is not responsible for the Special Theory of Relativity.

Nah, Gene Rodenberry creator of Star Trek invented that.

Ain't I so learned ?
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 05:40
    Originally posted by jaywill
    And Einstien is not responsible for the Special Theory of Relativity.

Nah, Gene Rodenberry creator of Star Trek invented that.

Ain't I so learned ?
    no. what i said is true. what you said is nonsense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree