1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 00:36
    This thread is not meant to attack you. I am confused on the matter, though.

What exactly are your beliefs? Are you a Deist?
    Why do you believe what you do?
    Why do you reject the Christian God?
  2. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 01:091 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    This thread is not meant to attack you. I am confused on the matter, though.

What exactly are your beliefs? Are you a Deist?
    Why do you believe what you do?
    Why do you reject the Christian God?
    I'm glad you asked.

I beleive as the "old school" Lutheran teaches. I beleive that Christ was God made flesh, etc.

I believe as I do because after great deliberation and study, I came to certain personal conclusions/assumption. I have chosen to assume that there is a God. I have chosen to assume this God is of infinite power, the creator, etc. (just as Christian doctrine teaches, though it was not by any religion that I came to believe this). I have come to assume that this being created me with purpose, has revealed himself to his creation, and both grants me the power to choose as I please and wishes for me to choose well. I have likewise come to understand the inherant imperfection of my kind (human beings), and understand our inability to attain the perfection necessary to be worthy in the sight of God (sin, etc.). Due to these conclusions/assumption/choices in belief there exists only one choice, the christian god. The christian god is the only diety that meets my criteria. I made these conclusions before I started studying the varying theologies of the world. Quite frankly, due to my distaste for various aspects of the church (in general) I did my damndest to find another diety that meeted my criteria.

Thusly, it has come to be my personal conclusion that either the christian god is the one and only true god, or there is no such being at all.

EDIT: PS, I know who this was intended for. I'm just ornrey. 😉

3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:07
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    Due to these conclusions/assumption/choices in belief there exists only one choice, the christian god. The christian god is the only diety that meets my criteria.
    Do the following represent the sum total of your criteria, or were there others that you
    didn't mention?

I, Omnislash, have chosen to assume/believe/understand:

1) that there is a God;
    2) that this God is of infinite power, the creator, etc.;
    3) that being created me with purpose and has revealed himself to his creation;
    4) that God grants me the power to choose as I please and wishes for me to choose well; and
    5) that human beings are unable to attain the perfection necessary to be worthy in the sight of God.

I have used (slightly edited) your words from your post to draw these criteria.

As such, if they are complete, why does (for example) the Church of Latter Day Saints not
    attract you, or Islam?

Nemesio
  4. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:144 edits
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Do the following represent the sum total of your criteria, or were there others that you
    didn't mention? [/i]

I, Omnislash, have chosen to assume/believe/understand:

[i]1) that there is a God;
    2) that this God is of infinite power, ...[text shortened]... Church of Latter Day Saints not
    attract you, or Islam?

Nemesio
    [i] There is more criteria, indeed, but that criteria was partially established after my research on theology began. I say partially, because they are ipso facto, in the sense of the spirit of the previous conclusions. Without going into great detail, I could summarize it as such.

Definitive salvation by grace.

The Mormons are bunk in my book, as actions which are allegedly "pleasing" to God determine much of the spiritual well being in the hereafter. (In all truth, I could rant about Mormons for a loooooong time, but let's leave it at this and let it suffice.) Hence, salvation is not exactly by grace. It is by "good works", etc.

Islam does not have definitive salvation. They are indeed similar in many ways to the christian doctrine, but they are not definitive, and by that I mean "X = Y" with Y = salvation. There are very few ways that a muslim can "know" they are going to be "saved" (martyrdom, etc., not grace).