1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 06:41
    Originally posted by black beetle
    When I am hungry I eat. I eat food I see and food I see not. I am what I eat. I respect what I eat. I respect Life.

But this is not interesting at all😵
    Actually, with all this talk of food I'm getting hungry. In fact, I think I'll head over to the fridge for a snack.....of course, just so everyone knows, I respect what I eat. Heck, I even the fridge that contains the food. In fact, I often refer to my fridge as the "sacred resting place". 😛
  2. Illinois
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 07:201 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]Yes, God orders the world so that humans are in a position to rule over the animals

What does that mean, exactly?[/b]
    It is mankind's proper place to rule over the animals and God ordained it so.

I don't know if I can be any more precise than that.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 08:50
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]I do not take it to be the case that there are moral imperatives (although I tend to think a lot in terms of hypothetical imperatives).

I agree.

A lot of people have gone without meat for the long haul with no serious complications.

Are you aware of any statistical studies on this. Most of what I have found in the past is anecdotal (a ...[text shortened]... y statement there, I think I was including fish—perhaps the apt phrase is “animal/fish protein”.[/b]
    Are you aware of any statistical studies on this.

There are a number of studies demonstrating that, if anything, vegetarianism poses health benefits in the long run (concerning things like blood cholesterol, blood pressure, obesity, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, and all-cause mortality). The following are all relevant, but in terms of larger scale statistical studies on mortalities, I think the first 5 would be most relevant. I am not sure if this is the type of stuff you are looking for or not:

1. Key et al, "Mortality in vegetarians and nonvegetarians: detailed findings for a collaborative analysis of 5 perspective studies," Am J Clin Nutr 70, 516S-524S (1999).

2. Snowdon, "Animal product consumption and mortality because of all causes combined, coronary heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer in seventh-day adventists," Am J Clin Nutr 48, 739-748 (1988).

3. Burr and Sweetnam, "Vegetarianism, dietary fiber, and mortality," Am J Clin Nutr 36, 873-877 (1982).

4. Key et al, "Dietary habits and mortality in 11000 vegetarians and health conscious people: results of a 17 year follow up," BMJ 313, 775-779 (1996).

5. Appleby et al, "Oxford vegetarian study: an overview," Am J Clin Nutr 70(3), 525S-531S (1999).

6. Messina and Burke, "Position of the american dietetic association: vegetarian diets," J Am Diet Assoc 97, 1317-1321 (1997).

7. Snowdon and Phillips, "Does a vegetarian diet reduce occurrence of diabetes?" Am J Pub Health 75, 507-512 (1985).

8. Dwyer, "Health aspects of vegetarian diets," Am J Clin Nutr 48, 712-738 (1988).

9. Key and Davey, "Prevalence of obesity is low in people who do not eat meat," BMJ 313, 816-817 (1996).

10. Segasothy and Phillips, "Vegetarian diet: panacea for modern lifestyle diseases?" QJ Med 92, 531-544 (1999).
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 08:53
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    It is mankind's proper place to rule over the animals and God ordained it so.

I don't know if I can be any more precise than that.
    I guess I am not sure what it means to "rule over" the animals. How does God want us to "rule over" the animals?
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 09:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    Actually, with all this talk of food I'm getting hungry. In fact, I think I'll head over to the fridge for a snack.....of course, just so everyone knows, I respect what I eat. Heck, I even the fridge that contains the food. In fact, I often refer to my fridge as the "sacred resting place". 😛
    So you gave up giving up eating altogether😵
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 17:54
    [b]Are you aware of any statistical studies on this.

There are a number of studies demonstrating that, if anything, vegetarianism poses health benefits in the long run (concerning things like blood cholesterol, blood pressure, obesity, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, and all-cause mortality). The following are all relevant, but in terms o ...[text shortened]... t: panacea for modern lifestyle diseases?" QJ Med 92, 531-544 (1999).[/b]
    Yes it is. Thanks.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 19:00
    I guess I am not sure what it means to "rule over" the animals. How does God want us to "rule over" the animals?
    With crowns and wild rumpuses. Have you read 'Where the Wild Things Are'?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 19:261 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    So you gave up giving up eating altogether😵
    Yes. It lasted long enough until it was time for me to eat my next meal.

No, I can't lie, it only lasted until my usual snack in between meals. 😞
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    09 Jan '09 04:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes. It lasted long enough until it was time for me to eat my next meal.

No, I can't lie, it only lasted until my usual snack in between meals. 😞
    Oh, another One who eats when he is hungry;

but this is not interesting at all😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree