1. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:30
    For those that don't know, this is a sweat :

http://www.sotems.com.au/sweat_lodge.htm

I had a chance to participate in one in my early twenties, and I must say it was a great experience. A group of us got together shortly into the new year, first week of january or so to cleanse or minds and our bodies of toxins.

Next to a river we took some old branches and made a cone, and surrounded them in wet old blankets. A very basic form of a teepee I guess. In the middle of this we placed a metal tub. We built a fire outside and slowly heated rocks in it while we discussed things that had taken place in the past year, and how that may have affected or changed us. One friend played guitar, and we sang. I read some of my poetry, and that of other artists that had inspired me. Another friend whom was also a poet read some of his. We discussed things that had bothered us over the past year, and then we dismissed them to the past where they belong.

Then we filled the metal tub up with water took the hot rocks up with some wet towels and tossed them in the water. Then we stripped down naked and pulled the blanket over the opening of the teepee, enclosing it, and we sweat. We sweat in quiet meditation allowing the steam to permeate us and to cleanse our minds and bodies. Sweating out toxins, and bad memories.

After the steam died down we ran out and jumped in that river in January and my body came alive. We went back to the fire and huddled warming ourselves untill the rocks were heated again. Then we sweat again. We did this process of sweat and then cold river about three times I think.

This is a memory I shall have with me forever and I thought I'd share it with you. My body felt clean, my mind was at ease, and I slept well that night. The next day I awoke with a new feeling about myself, and wrote a poem concerning the sunrise.

Nyxie
    the Valkyrja
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:41
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    For those that don't know, this is a sweat :

http://www.sotems.com.au/sweat_lodge.htm

I had a chance to participate in one in my early twenties, and I must say it was a great experience. A group of us got together shortly into the new year, first week of january or so to cleanse or minds and our bodies of toxins.

Next to a river we took some old bran ...[text shortened]... with a new feeling about myself, and wrote a poem concerning the sunrise.

Nyxie
    the Valkyrja
    That sounds really nice. I'll have to try that sometime.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree