1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    07 Oct '12 13:17
    Sweetest Word on The Tongue of Men:

    Forgiveness!

    Classic Illustration: Psalm 32

    Opinion / Comment.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    07 Oct '12 14:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Sweetest Word on The Tongue of Men:

    Forgiveness!

    Classic Illustration: Psalm 32

    Opinion / Comment.[/b]
    That is sweet, but even that requires a sweeter word: LOVE. 😏

    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  3. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    10 Oct '12 18:51
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is sweet, but even that requires a sweeter word: LOVE. 😏

    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    Actually: no. Love has nothing to do with forgiveness in the spiritual sense. The basis of God's forgiveness with respect to the sins of man has everything to do with justice.

    What Christ did on the cross was an acceptable work to atone for the sins of the world. When a person is recognized as a believer (i.e., accepted the gift of salvation), they are imputed with the righteousness of God. God imparts to them what He imparts to the work done on the cross by the Lord Jesus Christ. He certainly doesn't love that believer personally; He loves them objectively--- but His forgiveness isn't based on some affection or emotion He feels (or they elicit). He forgives because His righteous standard has been met; that standard has been passed to the believer; He forgives.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    10 Oct '12 21:21
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Actually: no. Love has nothing to do with forgiveness in the spiritual sense. The basis of God's forgiveness with respect to the sins of man has everything to do with justice.

    What Christ did on the cross was an acceptable work to atone for the sins of the world. When a person is recognized as a believer (i.e., accepted the gift of salvation), they a ...[text shortened]... righteous standard has been met; that standard has been passed to the believer; He forgives.
    I was taught what Christ did brought about forgiveness and redemption for Original Sin only, not "sins of the world." Justice was done WRT our inherited sin, by Jesus standing up for mankind. People still had to come to Christ and seek a just reconciliation with and through Christ and His forgiveness for their sins.

    I won't deny that what I was taught raises some questions about the sins of those who had died.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86378
    10 Oct '12 21:501 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Sweetest Word on The Tongue of Men:

    Forgiveness!

    Classic Illustration: Psalm 32

    Opinion / Comment.[/b]
    "Mercy triumphs over judgement"

    Various places
  6. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    11 Oct '12 22:10
    Originally posted by JS357
    I was taught what Christ did brought about forgiveness and redemption for Original Sin only, not "sins of the world." Justice was done WRT our inherited sin, by Jesus standing up for mankind. People still had to come to Christ and seek a just reconciliation with and through Christ and His forgiveness for their sins.

    I won't deny that what I was taught raises some questions about the sins of those who had died.
    Good stuff.

    I don't know that the Lord Jesus Christ was necessarily "standing up for mankind" as He was standing up to deliver and stand in for as replacement. Mankind was incapable and unqualified to stand for itself; He was the only Person who could stand in the gap between man and God.
  7. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    13 Oct '12 15:143 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Sweetest Word on The Tongue of Men:

    Forgiveness!

    Classic Illustration: Psalm 32

    Opinion / Comment.[/b]
    If we could truly practice forgiveness
    the world would transform. Clean the slate everywhere!
    Oh what a dream!

    Without true forgiveness there is no healing
    and worse, there is no approaching.
    Forgiveness is seen at the true heart of every path.
    But there are many that are false;
    the mark of heart-truth is forgiveness.

    "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."

    These are the most precious words of the Christian faith.


    taoman.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    13 Oct '12 21:122 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Actually: no. Love has nothing to do with forgiveness in the spiritual sense. The basis of God's forgiveness with respect to the sins of man has everything to do with justice.

    What Christ did on the cross was an acceptable work to atone for the sins of the world. When a person is recognized as a believer (i.e., accepted the gift of salvation), they a righteous standard has been met; that standard has been passed to the believer; He forgives.
    I believe Love did play a big part in the decision by Jesus to lay down His life for our sins. The following is what Jesus the Christ said about love:

    “This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you.[/b]"

    (John 15:12-14 NASB)

    Therefore I believe Love is greater than forgiveness.
    Love includes forgiveness.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Joined
    21 Aug '09
    Moves
    98976
    14 Oct '12 08:35
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe Love did play a big part in the decision by Jesus to lay down His life for our sins. The following is what Jesus the Christ said about love:

    “This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. [b]Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.
    You are My friends if you do what I co ...[text shortened]... 2-14 NASB)

    Therefore I believe Love is greater than forgiveness.
    Love includes forgiveness.[/b]
    Can you give modern examples?
Back to Top