1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 22:14
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7339392.stm

This sect apparently has 10000 members; anyone know any more about it? Is it really fundamentalist?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 23:12
    Originally posted by snowinscotland

This sect apparently has 10000 members; anyone know any more about it? Is it really fundamentalist?
    Good old Texas Christians. This is GWB's constituency.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 01:27
    Originally posted by snowinscotland

They're not fundamentalist. They're a bunch of horny old men pretending to be religious.
  4. RDU NC
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 02:492 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Good old Texas Christians. This is GWB's constituency.
    They're not good.
    They're not all old.
    They're not all originally from Texas. (In fact, according to FOXnews.com, the girls were told by their "spiritual husbands" that the world outside the compound was the, well, outside world, therefore I'd hardly think that they think of themselves as Texans, which anybody who knows anybody from Texas, that is almost more important than being an American.)
    They're certainly not Christians. They are the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS). Just because "Jesus Christ" is in the name doesn't make them Christian. The mainstream LDS doesn't recognize them as being part of them either. Most mainstream Christian denominations do not consider the LDS to be a fellow Christian denomination. And the LDS does not consider and of the mainstream Christian denominations to be of equal value or correctness or stature as the LDS. The LDS says Christians are ok and will occupy part of heaven, but the male members of the LDS are in for a greater treat. They get to be gods of their very own planets one day, just like their big brother Jehovah is the god of this planet, and now Jesus, Jehovah's physical child with Mary (yes from actual sexual intercourse) having been the Savior for this world is now god of his own planet somewhere. The reason the LDS has always allowed many wives is because it is through copulation and propagation that the worlds that they'll be gods over will be filled. Only recently did the mainstream LDS change their minds about polygamy. In fact, only recently did they say that now whites could now join the LDS. Aren't they a cheery group. And, don't get me started on the Holy Underwear. Google it for yourself.

And as of GWB's constituency, even the Dixie Chicks (Texans) are embarrassed by this dud. I guess, I don't agree with anything you posted here. Oh well. No offense. Cheers.
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 03:12
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    They're not good.
    They're not all old.
    They're not all originally from Texas. (In fact, according to FOXnews.com, the girls were told by their "spiritual husbands" that the world outside the compound was the, well, outside world, therefore I'd hardly think that they think of themselves as Texans, which anybody who knows anybody from Texas, that is almost m ...[text shortened]... uess, I don't agree with anything you posted here. Oh well. No offense. Cheers.
    Your summary of LDS betrays your ignorance of it and your hostility towards it. Just about
    everything you posted constituted a vaguely perverse misrepresentation of what the LDS actually holds.

If you are in fact a Christian, you ought to know the perversions that non-Christians who are
    hostile towards Christianity engage in. Consequently, you should have a little empathy for
    the Mormon Church and not be so snide in your disingenuous presentations about it.

Nemesio
  6. RDU NC
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 03:512 edits
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Your summary of LDS betrays your ignorance of it and your hostility towards it. Just about
    everything you posted constituted a vaguely perverse misrepresentation of what the LDS actually holds.

If you are in fact a Christian, you ought to know the perversions that non-Christians who are
    hostile towards Christianity engage in. Consequently, you shoul ...[text shortened]... r
    the Mormon Church and not be so snide in your disingenuous presentations about it.

Nemesio
    Fair enough. Correct my errors please. I'm always interested in learning.

Follow up question:
    If the party involved at the compound were a mainstream Christian denomination, would you have been so quick to come to its defense against someone critiquing the group from without? I've followed several of your posts, and I think not. But, I hope I am wrong, and I welcome your insight on this very popular religion.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 08:29
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    Follow up question:
    If the party involved at the compound were a mainstream Christian denomination, would you have been so quick to come to its defense against someone critiquing the group from without? I've followed several of your posts, and I think not. But, I hope I am wrong, and I welcome your insight on this very popular religion.
    What do you mean by 'mainstream'. The Mormons are pretty big you know.
    And yes, I for one would come to the defense of the Roman Catholic Church if the group in question had been Roman Catholics. However, since the Catholic Church is much more unified body I would question anyone who might have known about, covered up and allowed the scandal to continue - as has happened in the Catholic Church with regards to child abuse by priests.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 09:02

hostile towards Christianity engage in. Consequently, you shoul ...[text shortened]... r

Nemesio
    empathy for the mormon church? you mean i shouldn't make fun of them because they invented their own religion?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 09:45
    hostile towards Christianity engage in. Consequently, you should have a little empathy for

Nemesio
    You mean:
    Even when christians do something wrong, they are doing the right anyway because they are christians.
    But if they do anything too wrong, then they can't be christians, because christians don't do such things.

Hmm, I must consider this...
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 10:13
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    empathy for the mormon church? you mean i shouldn't make fun of them because they invented their own religion?
    I think what he said is that you shouldn't spread falsehood about them simply because you don't agree with them. For example, they did not 'invent their own religion'. It is quite possible that someone did invent it, but it was not one of the current members. The writer (or translator as he claimed) of the Book of Mormon died in 1844 according to Wikipedia.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 10:40
    In his defence, he was talking about the breakaway Fundamentalist version of it, not the official version. Did you pick up on that?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 12:49
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    In his defence, he was talking about the breakaway Fundamentalist version of it, not the official version. Did you pick up on that?
    Try as I might, I cant pick up on that either. As far as I can tell, his worst comments are directed directly at LDS as a whole.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 13:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Try as I might, I cant pick up on that either. As far as I can tell, his worst comments are directed directly at LDS as a whole.
    "They are the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS). Just because "Jesus Christ" is in the name doesn't make them Christian. The mainstream LDS doesn't recognize them as being part of them either."
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 14:311 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    "They are the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS). Just because "Jesus Christ" is in the name doesn't make them Christian. The mainstream LDS doesn't recognize them as being part of them either."
    Unless I am mistaken, he then proceeds to criticize the 'mainstream' LDS in general.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 15:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Unless I am mistaken, he then proceeds to criticize the 'mainstream' LDS in general.
    Yes, but the nasty comments are reserved for the fundamentalists. The rest, as far as I can see, is robust satire. I mean, there is actually Holy Underwear.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree