1. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 23:18
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I don't feel any differently towards people of faith than i did before. They are (generally speaking) good people. I no longer see 'God' as a pretext to this though. I was brought up to believe that somehow believing in God made you a better person. Well how much good work could be done on Sunday? The poor are still poor on Sunday, the sick are still sic ...[text shortened]... because Jesus said i should, not because of any of that. Because i want to! No more, no less.
    Yeah I completly agree with you. I know a lot of the morals I have are 'Christian' but I believe that those morals came from people, not God, because ultimatly Christianity came from people.
  2. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 23:21
    I'm glad, i don't come here to argue with people, i come here to connect with my fellow man. 🙂

On Dawkins, he is a stanch atheist and you will undoubtedly find his writings grate with your beliefs. You will feel he is mocking religion...in a way he is, but it is more than apparent that he has lived his life being attacked and misquoted by believers. ...[text shortened]... anding of this book, regardless of whether you actually believe it to be true it or not. 🙂
    Have you read 'Letter to a Christian Nation' by Sam Harris? Dawkins did the preface to it, its a very interesting take on things. The 'God Delusion' is a book I've been meaning to read for a while. My exams finnish on monday, and after that I'll have lots of time to catch up on things!
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 23:24
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Yeah I completly agree with you. I know a lot of the morals I have are 'Christian' but I believe that those morals came from people, not God, because ultimatly Christianity came from people.
    The church somehow managed to take a monopoly on 'good deeds.' I don't know how it happened (well maybe i do) but i'm damned if i'm going to give it up just because it is considered the 'christian' thing, boll0x! Eternal damnation won't be my incentive now, not that i ever thought it was (hell is a childish notion, only a fool could believe that actually exists!)
  4. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 23:26
    The church somehow managed to take a monopoly on 'good deeds.' I don't know how it happened (well maybe i do) but i'm damned if i'm going to give it up just because it is considered the 'christian' thing, boll0x! Eternal damnation won't be my incentive now, not that i ever thought it was (hell is a childish notion, only a fool could believe that actually exists!)
    Hear, hear! Good deeds for the good of others are the way forward!
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 23:27
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Have you read 'Letter to a Christian Nation' by Sam Harris? Dawkins did the preface to it, its a very interesting take on things. The 'God Delusion' is a book I've been meaning to read for a while. My exams finnish on monday, and after that I'll have lots of time to catch up on things!
    No haven't read that, i'm not really inclined to read any more atheist literature now as i've actually got the point. If someone wants to recommend a theist text to dispute what i've read i might be interested but i see little point in banging the same drum ad infinitum...
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 23:56
    No haven't read that, i'm not really inclined to read any more atheist literature now as i've actually got the point. If someone wants to recommend a theist text to dispute what i've read i might be interested but i see little point in banging the same drum ad infinitum...
    I'll see what I can do to find such a book for you, but first I'll look at Dawkins.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 00:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'll see what I can do to find such a book for you, but first I'll look at Dawkins.
    I have seen many quotes from such books, but always in 'Darwinian' texts. I'll do you a deal. I'll mail you a Dawkins book if you mail me a theist book (assuming you have one you believe to be true). It'll save a bit of money either way and will give a talking point. 🙂
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 00:37
    I have seen many quotes from such books, but always in 'Darwinian' texts. I'll do you a deal. I'll mail you a Dawkins book if you mail me a theist book (assuming you have one you believe to be true). It'll save a bit of money either way and will give a talking point. 🙂
    Ok. We can do that. But wait till I find such a book, and I'll contact you when I have it. But I think postage will cost too much. I'm in the US and you're in GB.
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 01:20
    I wouldn't bother Joe, your mind won't be changed.
    Dawkins is I find, particularly unhelpful as an atheist. His polemic is as dogmatic as any I've heard from the Christian fundamentalists, and his arguments are, for someone who was once a respected scientist, decidedly unscientific.
    As an atheist, I find it much more interesting to read works by atheists such as Karen Armstrong, or from religious people such as John Shelby Spong.
    Now, they are thought provoking and very interesting.
    If you must read Dawkins, stick to his scientific stuff - The Selfish Gene and Blind Watchmaker, would be good starts.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 02:21
    It's a Miracle! I have had an epiphany! For 28 years i have existed on this Planet and finally, i don't believe in God!

Having been born an innocent impressionable child, it wasn't long before i was sent to school to receive my education. Catholic School to be precise. From the age of 4 (i was the eldest in my year) i was taught the Gospels. I ...[text shortened]... finally realised you were me all along.

Alleluia!!
    Thanks Marinka, I really enjoyed this.

I'm glad you have stepped out into the cold morning light of reality. However, a couple of observations, if I may. 1) Don't not go to your fathers orchestra things just because they are in a church. The church is unimportant, your father is. 2) Richard Dawkins, dear boy, Richard. Now write it out 1000 times!!!!
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 02:23
    Self attained perfection. Now that you know all there is to know.
    Who ever claimed that?
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 02:26
    I appologize for the apparent mockery.
    I only said what I said to convey a thought.
    I hope you will continue to post in this forum, as I will look forward to further discussions with you on this topic.
    And I have desided to go out and get Dawkins' book 'the God dilusion' now, because of your post.
    "Delusion" from what I've read is more polemic and less science. It may be tough going. "Selfish Gene" is a better evolution book, his first, and whilst it's tough going in places (esp the chapter on social insect genetics for laymen), it's an excellent account of Darwinian theory.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 02:54
    [
    I look forward to the rest of my life, free of doubt, free of guilt, free of fear!
    What is ironic is that I feel the same way after I came to Christ.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 02:54
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Who ever claimed that?
    Good bye God, i'd like to say it was nice knowing you but i've finally realised you were me all along.
    This is why I posted my comments. They were not meant to be accusatory. His statement simply evoked me to express a thought.

I had read something the other day about atheism that went something like this. "Atheism is a philosophical impossibility because in order to claim that one knows there is no God one would have to possess all knowledge".
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 02:58
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    "Delusion" from what I've read is more polemic and less science. It may be tough going. "Selfish Gene" is a better evolution book, his first, and whilst it's tough going in places (esp the chapter on social insect genetics for laymen), it's an excellent account of Darwinian theory.
    I've been reluctant to read these books for some time now because I'm just too busy. But it seems the time has come.
    Besides, I need more ammunition! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree