1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 09:35
    So, we have a new forum...

Okay to kick us off, would anyone care to discuss the differences between having religion and having spirituality?
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 09:48
    Originally posted by Starrman

Okay to kick us off, would anyone care to discuss the differences between having religion and having spirituality?
    Spirituality is basically getting drunk on heavy booze isn't it?

Anyway, I certainly hope some of the religious debating will move from the debates forum over to this one.

3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 09:56
    Originally posted by shavixmir

Anyway, I certainly hope some of the religious debating will move from the debates forum over to this one.

I wonder if Russ can cut and paste the threads in question....
  4. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 10:34
    I wonder if Russ can cut and paste the threads in question....
    I dont hear enough fervour in your voice...you are praying for russ to do this are you not? It would be a shame for these first few posts to turn away from the purpose for which the forum was created 😉

MÅ¥HÅRM
  5. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 11:19

One is an organised group form of the other...?

I would think spirituality sort of covers both, but that religion is any instance of someone not relying on their own self-judgement to provide spiritual guidance.

MÅ¥HÅRM
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 11:37
    Originally posted by Mayharm
    One is an organised group form of the other...?

I would think spirituality sort of covers both, but that religion is any instance of someone not relying on their own self-judgement to provide spiritual guidance.

MÅ¥HÅRM
    So religion is being told what to do and spirituality is finding out what you're supposed to be doing? I guess that makes a certain sense, I know a lot of people who talk about spirituality and journey in the same sentence. Is religion then a destination as it were?
  7. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 11:57
    So religion is being told what to do and spirituality is finding out what you're supposed to be doing? I guess that makes a certain sense, I know a lot of people who talk about spirituality and journey in the same sentence. Is religion then a destination as it were?
    You being pesky deliberatly? 😠 <grumble>

No it's not about being told what to do, it's about where you seek your guidance from. It's the difference between being shown a way, and finding your own.

Buddhism (tibetan), for example, teaches that there are many ways of reaching enlightenment. Christianity teaches that there is but one way, through god (though they call it "state of grace" or something dont they?). You either choose to accept the "way" your creed provides or you dont, no one can tell you to do it.

MÅ¥HÅRM
  8. Joined
    30 Nov '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 12:36
    I've always seen spirituality as feeling/communicating with divinity. This can be achieved through Religion. Religion is the organizing of people to try and achieve spirituality together.

Religions, as a public organization, will change over time (decades) to match social influences. Spirituality, as an individual affair, will change over time (years) to fit personal needs.
  9. Playing with matches
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 12:43
    Originally posted by shavixmir

I beg to differ... I frequently find religion at 3am after binge drinking. Worshipping the porcelain god.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 12:45
    You being pesky deliberatly? 😠 <grumble>

No it's not about being told what to do, it's about where you seek your guidance from. It's the difference between being shown [b]a
    way, and finding your own.

Buddhism (tibetan), for example, teaches that there are many ways of reaching enlightenment. Christianity teaches that there is but one way, throu ...[text shortened]... ept the "way" your creed provides or you dont, no one can tell you to do it.

MÅ¥HÅRM[/b]
    You're right, I was having a 'scooby-doo villain' moment. I could counter with the supression of free will as part of most religious indoctrination, but I shall refrain, I wanted to talk more about spirituality than religion. 🙂
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 12:58

The answer is simple. Religion is for those who fear hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there.
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:29
    You're right, I was having a 'scooby-doo villain' moment. I could counter with the supression of free will as part of most religious indoctrination, but I shall refrain, I wanted to talk more about spirituality than religion. 🙂
    Well, you did comment about it. And I have plenty of free will. More so than you, actually, since you are bound by sin.
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:30
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    The answer is simple. Religion is for those who fear hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there.
    Guess what, kirk, I don't fear hell. That pretty much null and voids your theory, eh?

Spirituality is for aspiring actresses and college students. Religion is for people who realize that something can't come from nothing.
  14. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:39
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Spirituality is for aspiring actresses and college students. Religion is for people who realize that something can't come from nothing.
    If, as I stated, spirituality is a self-guided path to enlightenment/grace/whatever you are implying there is no soul inherent inside us. Or to put it another way, we cant find god by ourselves, we have to be led, presumably by the church...

You dont happen to be a time traveller from before the dark ages do you?

MÅ¥HÅRM
  15. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:45
    If, as I stated, spirituality is a self-guided path to enlightenment/grace/whatever you are implying there is no soul inherent inside us. Or to put it another way, we cant find god by ourselves, we have to be led, presumably by the church...

You dont happen to be a time traveller from before the dark ages do you?

MÅ¥HÅRM
    You don't need the church. You need God and the Bible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree