1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 18:381 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    "Bottles of holy water"

"bottle of holy water"
    Why don't you open your own threads for your usual and boring RC Church/Pope/Christian bashing instead of hijacking mine ......
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 18:42
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Doc, do you notice that no one will say a thing about solitication of said holy water or umbrellas in this thread, yet BWA continues to have to apologize for any said mention of our t-shirts and other apparrel?

Jesu wept.
    .... and you are always very willing to cooperate with Cribs in his extremely humorous actions, don't you Kirk ?
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 22:512 edits
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Why don't you open your own threads for your usual and boring RC Church/Pope/Christian bashing instead of hijacking mine ......
    Are you or are you not interested in a discussion about the character of the Bishop of Hippo?

If you are, I would like to know whether you suppose a Bishop of his "exemplary" character would endorse the selling of bottles of holy water as souvenirs.

If you are not, then what exactly are you accusing me of hijacking? Your news wire?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 22:55
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    .... and you are always very willing to cooperate with Cribs in his extremely humorous actions, don't you Kirk ?
    Will you be sending a pic of yourself for rhpfaces? I am sending one of my best friend this time. Here it is. Yes, his true color is black.

http://www.coonhoundrescue.com/HappyEndings/boomer.html
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 01:28
    If you are, I would like to know whether you suppose a Bishop of his "exemplary" character would endorse the selling of bottles of holy water as souvenirs.
    I suppose you disregarded my argument that the Vatican does not sell holy water?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 01:551 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I suppose you disregarded my argument that the Vatican does not sell holy water?
    I suppose you disregarded the multiple news reports from various sources saying that they do.

I simply label your argument as yet another instance of Catholic Simon Says.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 02:121 edit
    I suppose you disregarded the multiple news reports from various sources saying that they do.

I simply label your argument as yet another instance of Catholic Simon Says.
    As the Catholic Church has explicitly condemned the selling of any sacramental, such as holy water, I feel entitled to question the credibility of these newsreports. Both the Catholic Catechism, the code of canon law, and the Catholic encycopedia have outlined such activity as sacrilige and a mortal sin. Furthermore, within Catholic theology, it is understood that the exchange of a sacramental for money invalidates whatever indulgences are attached to the sacramental. I wonder then, why would the Vatican engage in such a practice?

And I mentioned before, there is much more plausible alternative explanation: that church-sponsored vendours simply sold bottles for holy water, which were not necessary for the procurement of holy water in itself. As you might have learnt from before, new reports are not infallible. You yourself made the erroneous claim that the Church owns a commercial airline (which it does not). Perhaps it is conceivably possible that these new reports you cite are also wrong - but then to acknowledge this you might have to abandon your sectarianism.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 02:191 edit
    As the Catholic Church has explicitly condemned the selling of any sacramental, such as holy water, I feel entitled to question the credibility of these newsreports. Both the Catholic Catechism, the code of canon law, and the Catholic encycopedia have outlined such activity as sacrilige and a mortal sin. Furthermore, within Catholic theology, it is understo ...[text shortened]... cite are also wrong - but then to acknowledge this you might have to abandon your sectarianism.
    If they did sell empty bottles for holy water, that would hardly be scriptural. What the hell ever happened to "my cup overfloweth"?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 02:29
    If they did sell empty bottles for holy water, that would hardly be scriptural. What the hell ever happened to "my cup overfloweth"?
    Where are you quoting scripture from?
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 02:35
    Where are you quoting scripture from?
    Psalm 23, v 5. Sweet Jesu, I can just hear RBHill saying "Catholics never read the Bible."
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 02:44
    Psalm 23, v 5. Sweet Jesu, I can just hear RBHill saying "Catholics never read the Bible."
    And how does this verse conflict with the selling of holy water bottles?
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 02:50
    And how does this verse conflict with the selling of holy water bottles?
    I am an interpretive theologian who cast a big tent. I struggle with answering yes or no questions in much the same way Jesus did. I'm all about the new wineskins instead of the bottle.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 02:53
    I am an interpretive theologian who cast a big tent. I struggle with answering yes or no questions in much the same way Jesus did. I'm all about the new wineskins instead of the bottle.
    I did not ask a yes or no question. I simply asked you to explain why you feel a psalm 23 v.5 carries a moral commandment not to sell holy water bottles.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 02:571 edit
    I did not ask a yes or no question. I simply asked you to explain why you feel a psalm 23 v.5 carries a moral commandment not to sell holy water bottles.
    And I was simply wondering why they would sell an empty bottle? Would it not be beautifully symbolic to have a full bottle of refreshing water in light of all the wonderful images of water in the Bible, i.e "living water, etc."

But I'm all for the water and the bottle being free.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 03:052 edits
    Both the Catholic Catechism, the code of canon law, and the Catholic encycopedia have outlined such activity as sacrilige and a mortal sin.
    Do you think selling holy water is a worse sin than molesting a child?

Do you think all the news reports about thousands of priests molesting children and hundreds of bishops being complicit in such crimes are bogus?

Your position that church officials do not do wrong as a matter of policy is absurd.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree