1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 02:41
    Christ died on the cross to 'repair' the relationship between humans and God.

It is a conflict in Christian beliefs that once Christ was crucified, that our atonement was done. Our relationship with God has been repaired. Nothing else is required of us humans, because Christ did the 'work'.

Do we need to do something more? Do good works matter?

Pope Francis has stated that once Christ was crucified, and the atonement was complete, that ALL people go to Heaven, and there is NO need for a hell. NOBODY goes to a 'hell', because Jesus Christ made sure of it.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 03:22
    Originally posted by chaney3

It is a conflict in Christian beliefs that once Christ was crucified, that our atonement was done. Our relationship with God has been repaired. Nothing else is required of us humans, because Christ did the 'work'.

P ...[text shortened]... and there is NO need for a hell. NOBODY goes to a 'hell', because Jesus Christ made sure of it.
    Do we need to do something more?
    Yes, we need to receive Christ by faith or believe that he is our substitute or the payment for our sins.
    Do good works matter?
    Yes they do. Good works prove that by our actions we believe. The good works are done because our nature has changed and so we should want to live a holy life.
    Living a holy life will also prevent the adversary from controlling our lives.
    Pope Francis has stated that once Christ was crucified, and the atonement was complete, that ALL people go to Heaven, and there is NO need for a hell. NOBODY goes to a 'hell', because Jesus Christ made sure of it.
    I do not agree with this, read condition one. God wills all men to repent and be saved (that is his wish) but not all men will repent and receive Christ. Those that do not, will suffer the 2nd death.
    Paraphrased, I can deposit a million dollars in a checking account in your name, but you can refuse to receive it by unbelief.
    Some one who is saved, born again has a new nature and has a desire to know God on a personal level. They will continue to seek Him and have joy in doing so, as they discover all that comes with the new birth.
    We become one with Christ, we have his righteousness, we are sanctified or set apart, we are justified, we are entrusted with the ministry of reconciliation.
    2 Cor 5:21
    For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
    NKJV

Rom 3:24-26
    being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
    NKJV
    2 Cor 5:18-19
    Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
    NKJV
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 03:38
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    [b]Do we need to do something more?
    Yes, we need to receive Christ by faith or believe that he is our substitute or the payment for our sins.
    Do good works matter?
    Yes they do. Good works prove that by our actions we believe. The good works are done because our nature has changed and so we should want to live a holy life.
    Living a holy l ...[text shortened]... uting their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
    NKJV
    [/b][/b]
    My initial reaction to your words are this: You are putting demands on the crucifixion of Jesus. That we humans must do something. You do realize that living a sin free life is impossible, don't you?

Not sinning is impossible. So, who is just? Who is better than their fellow man?

Is Hitler worse than the man who cheats on his wife, and commits adultery? Where does this end?

Why did Jesus get crucified? That is the question here? Jesus could have told us all to repent and be saved.......without the crucifixion. Jesus could have told us all to be better people, and have avoided death. Why was crucifixion necessary then?

Maybe the answer is exactly what the Pope said......that ALL people are saved once the deed was done.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 05:25
    I think my real question is this.......why did Jesus have to die?

He could have taught us everything in the same way, without the crucifixion. Why did He die? I think the answer is somewhat simple.....because, His death gave ALL humans life. He died so that every human could live everlasting.

We need to nothing else. And, any method we try regarding sin is futile. Who among us is better than anyone?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 07:473 edits

He could have taught us everything in the same way, without the crucifixion. Why did He die? I think the answer is somewhat simple.....because, His death gave ALL humans life. He died so that every human could live everlasting.

We need to nothing else. And, any method we try regarding sin is futile. Who among us is better than anyone?
    Why did Jesus have to die?
    Why did God have to die?
    I believe there is both a spiritual and physical answer to this question, but I am not sure how best to express the simple answer.

I agree that His death as the God/man was so that every human could live everlasting, but I don't believe His death gives eternal life to all men.
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

(John 3:16 KJV)

So what about those that do not believe in Him?

The fact that in Him dwells the fullness of the Godhead bodily (Colossians 2:9) means that His death was both a physical and spiritual sacrificial substitute for all men for eternity. That is, He took the sin punishment of death for all men, for all time, upon Himself in order to satisfy the perfect justice required by God. The God/man had to die to nullify the old covenant to allow for the new covenant of grace to take effect where His law is written in our hearts (enter being).
    Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home (in the body) or absent (in the spirit), to be pleasing to Him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

(2 Corinthians 5:9-10 NASB)
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 08:431 edit

All you say is true. However, we have to accept this gift of life. Checkbaiter is right. "God wills all men to repent and be saved (that is his wish) but not all men will repent and receive Christ." If you wish to be saved, you must repent and receive Christ into your life. Man has free will, and so must choose to accept Christ's redeeming sacrifice on the cross as a gift of his love. Some men will say, "No, thanks, I can live my life just fine on my own." And because man has free will, God will leave these men be. Each man must make the choice for themselves to accept what has already been bought and paid for: their salvation.

Jesus has said, "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10) All we have to do is cry out to him with our heart, and tell him that we accept what he has done for us, and how we need him to come inside our heart to show us how to live the more abundant life. He will not enter uninvited; we must invite him to come to us and show us the way, the truth and the life. And we know that he will, because this has already been promised to us!
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 08:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Why did Jesus have to die?
    Why did God have to die?
    I believe there is both a spiritual and physical answer to this question, but I am not sure how best to express the simple answer.

I agree that His death as the God/man was so that every human could live everlasting, but I don't believe His death gives eternal life to all men.
    For God so loved ...[text shortened]... body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

(2 Corinthians 5:9-10 NASB)
    Well-said, Ron. 🙂
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 14:17

P ...[text shortened]... and there is NO need for a hell. NOBODY goes to a 'hell', because Jesus Christ made sure of it.
    Who is Pope Francis ? Whoever he is, if you are happy believing in him then that is your choice. The Bible says:

It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes. (Psalms 118:8-9 KJV)

Chose who you will believe. Christ was crystal clear about what you NEED TO DO to get into Gods Kingdom. If you rather believe Christ then read what Christ said.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 20:04

"He could have taught us everything in the same way, without the crucifixion."

I can't imagine how you might think so! It was God's plan from before creation that Jesus would die and subsequently rise from the dead.

How can you possibly think you would know better than God whether Jesus had to die or not?

The rest of your posts suggests you are I'll informed about what the Bible says about what the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ means to the world.

I'd love to share that information with you, but I'm sure you'll have enough to argue with already.
  10. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 21:34
    The Pope is not an infallible voice unless he is speaking ex cathedra. Not much is dogma about hell except it is one last thing to remember.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 07:051 edit
    Originally posted by Of Ants and Imps
    The Pope is not an infallible voice unless he is speaking ex cathedra. Not much is dogma about hell except it is one last thing to remember.
    The Pope has never spoken ex cathedra on evolution and the big bang and Roman Catholics are not required to believe in those ideas.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree