1. Standard memberStarValleyWy
    BentnevolentDictater
    x10,y45,z-88,t3.1415
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 22:46
    Originally posted by Darfius
    No, what sums it up is that your derogatory term of "magic" doesn't apply to what happened.

Tell me, since no one on this earth has a clue as to how life began or how the universe came to be, should we chalk it up to magic?

No, you'd say there's a scientific explanation. Well, my explanation is that the being who created science knows more about it than we do.
    You are very wrong. A lot of people know a great deal about how life has evolved from the very simple to the complex. It is a matter of time before the beginning of life and the "making" of life is the everyday. I will not be surprised if my grandchildrens kids are not assigned the task of creating simple forms of life from scratch in graduate school. That is only forty years away. We'll see, won't we?

And thus, seeing that life is a very understandable and reproducible phenomenon, where does that leave us in the need of magical "creators"?

The sad thing about your position is that it is doomed. Have you ever read the story of Galileo? If I were you, I would study it very carefully and consider the earth as the center of gods universe before stating that life is some magical thing that only god can "do".
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 23:49
    Originally posted by StarValleyWy
    You are very wrong. A lot of people know a great deal about how life has evolved from the very simple to the complex. It is a matter of time before the beginning of life and the "making" of life is the everyday. I will not be surprised if my grandchildrens kids are not assigned the task of creating simple forms of life from scratch in graduate school. ...[text shortened]... ter of gods universe before stating that life is some magical thing that only god can "do".
    You saying life is understandable and reproducable doesn't make it so. The best scientists in the world can't make a simple prokaryote. And you think Nature did it? In a billion years? Give me a break.
  3. Standard memberStarValleyWy
    BentnevolentDictater
    x10,y45,z-88,t3.1415
    Moves
    01 Mar '05 01:05
    You saying life is understandable and reproducable doesn't make it so. The best scientists in the world can't make a simple prokaryote. And you think Nature did it? In a billion years? Give me a break.
    In four billion years actually.

Think of it this way. There was a time when Barbers drained evil spirits from people with the Plague by "bleeding them", in order to save entire villages. We now know that this was a totally silly thing to do. But we didn't know it then.

There was a time when the "church" killed hundreds of thousands as 'heretics' if they didn't say and do only that which was sanctioned. We now know that this was barbaric and stupid. But we didn't know it then.

There was a time when each village held a pillory for public sanction against people who didn't comply to village standards. We now know that this is a closed minded and ineffective method of shaping chimps into good tribe members. But we didn't know it then.

There was a time when people were afraid of "burning up" entirely if they were to ever travel faster than a horse could run. After all, they saw the foam on the horse and felt it's heat. There were even a group who held a vigil to save the soul of mr. Watt when one of his engines powered a vehicle to 30 mph. We didn't know that this was silly then. But we do now.

The point is, that all things change except for those who KNOW what can't be done. We DON'T KNOW NOW how to make life. But we will.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Mar '05 01:14
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Oops. I forgot to give the site, it's: http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/origin-of-life.html

But, by the way, maybe you could read it... and maybe then have someting to say instead of just questioning the source. And by the way I do believe what I have posted is true, so its up to you to change my mind...
    When someone copy-pastes long blocks of text, it takes them seconds. It's unreasonable for people to do this and then ask others to analyze the text, because this analysis takes a really long time and a ton of effort. Therefore I don't respond to long blocks of copied text.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Mar '05 01:51
    Tell me, since no one on this earth has a clue as to how life began or how the universe came to be, should we chalk it up to magic?
    Ahh, so you do admit that nobody knows! Welcome to the light of reason, my brother!
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    01 Mar '05 02:04
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Ahh, so you do admit that nobody knows! Welcome to the light of reason, my brother!
    I don't know how. I know who. 😉
  7. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    01 Mar '05 17:24
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That's a rude post, Darfius. That attitude is why many others aren't respectful to you.

I'm not sure how far before the beginning of life you want me to go. I'll start here:

The Earth probably formed about 4.5 billions years ago. It was a hot, inorganic ball of rock with oceans and an atmosphere containing nitrogen, carbon and hydrogen at ...[text shortened]... isible, undetectable pink leprechauns inside them making all the heat and light with pixie dust.
    very nice post,except you missed one very important point. All those elements,metals and gases were created by GOD. GENESIS 1:1
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 07:36
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    very nice post,except you missed one very important point. All those elements,metals and gases were created by GOD. GENESIS 1:1
    That's possible. If so, he made life via evolution.
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:351 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That's possible. If so, he made life via evolution.
    Also possible.

The English translation doesn't leave much room for that but the Hebrew is very ambiguous.

Evolution could very well have been His method of choice. Though of course, if He chose, a literal week of Creation was easy enough.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree