1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 12:18
    My new word of the day, ephipany, the day I UN believed. Age 8, after hearing grandma (Pentacostal) tell me I would be damned and go to hell if I wasn't baptized in the Pentacostal way (total dunking), scoffing at the Lutheran way I had been baptized in when I was very young. (I went to Lutheran school for K-8)

Anyone else remember their ephipany?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 12:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My new word of the day, ephipany, the day I UN believed. Age 8, after hearing grandma (Pentacostal) tell me I would be damned and go to hell if I wasn't baptized in the Pentacostal way (total dunking), scoffing at the Lutheran way I had been baptized in when I was very young. (I went to Lutheran school for K-8)

no sudden moment of clarity for me. just a gradual ability to understand the difference between reality and fairy tales. i think i was clean of all made up beliefs by the age of 9 or 10. although i still retain a love for mythical and magical tales.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 17:56

I don't remember exactly how old I was, maybe four or five, but it was christmas that did it for me - once I sussed out that there was no such thing as santa I put god and faeries and vampires and all of the other imaginary friends in the "probably not real" category.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 00:20

I dont think I ever believed. At school I just took the bible stories as stories - just like Aesop's fables - there was no difference to me. Even reciting the Lords Prayer at assembly I just took it as the custom.

I was the only child in our extended family not to go to Sunday School (older & younger did) - I think mum & dad knew I was a hopeless cause!
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 09:08

What is going to damn you to Hell is your disrespect for your grandma.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 09:11
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    no sudden moment of clarity for me. just a gradual ability to understand the difference between reality and fairy tales. i think i was clean of all made up beliefs by the age of 9 or 10. although i still retain a love for mythical and magical tales.
    I don't think you have learned to understand the evolution fairy tale for grown-ups yet. It is pretty mythical and magical. 😏
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 09:13
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I dont think I ever believed. At school I just took the bible stories as stories - just like Aesop's fables - there was no difference to me. Even reciting the Lords Prayer at assembly I just took it as the custom.

I was the only child in our extended family not to go to Sunday School (older & younger did) - I think mum & dad knew I was a hopeless cause!
    So you were a child of the devil from the very beginning, huh? 😏
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 10:181 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    So you were a child of the devil from the very beginning, huh? 😏
    Boy, we are scared now.

BTW, I didn't disrespect granny, I said I UN believed in your god, I actually liked the old biddy...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree