1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:22
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Of something. Anything. More than nothing. The content doesn't concern me.

So, suppose I fall into a coma. Is my soul conscious or not, of something, at this time? Or does it remain unconscious while I am unconscious?
    Hard to say really, because there does not exist an objective bridge between those two worlds upon which to sit and view both. As the soul resides in the cranial area, there exists a great amount of sympathy between the brain and the soul. Where that line is drawn is elusive at this point.
  2. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:24
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Hard to say really, because there does not exist an objective bridge between those two worlds upon which to sit and view both. As the soul resides in the cranial area, there exists a great amount of sympathy between the brain and the soul. Where that line is drawn is elusive at this point.
    If the soul resides in the cranial area, does that mean the soul has a spatial location?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:25
    If the soul resides in the cranial area, does that mean the soul has a spatial location?
    At least temporarily. Were you thinking aura?
  4. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:33
    At least temporarily. Were you thinking aura?
    If the soul has a spatial location, isn't it a physical entity?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:38
    If the soul has a spatial location, isn't it a physical entity?
    Insofar as an invisible, immaterial entity can be considered physical, sure.
  6. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:39
    Another question:

Suppose I destroyed parts of your brain collectively, and turned you into one of those tragic but fascinating neurological cases of the type descrived by people like Oliver Sacks.

Would you soul undergo any correlated transformation, or would it remain unaffected?
  7. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:41
    An immaterial entity cannot be physical.

So, is the soul physical, in virtue of having a spatial location, or not?
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:46
    Another question:

Suppose I destroyed parts of your brain collectively, and turned you into one of those tragic but fascinating neurological cases of the type descrived by people like Oliver Sacks.

Would you soul undergo any correlated transformation, or would it remain unaffected?
    As long as the brain is capable of thought (itself difficult to determine with absolute certainty), the soul persists.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:47

So, is the soul physical, in virtue of having a spatial location, or not?
    You have already answered this question, as have I. Where are you trying to go with this?
  10. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:47
    As long as the brain is capable of thought (itself difficult to determine with absolute certainty), the soul persists.
    So, if I put your brain through a blender, your soul would not persist?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:48
    So, if I put your brain through a blender, your soul would not persist?
    At death, my soul would depart. Persist, but depart the body, nonetheless.
  12. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 13:55
    The problem is as follows:

The soul, according to you, is an immaterial entity.

But if it is immaterial, then it cannot be physical.

And if it cannot be physical, then it cannot have a spatial location, as everything physical has a spatial location.

However, you claimed that the soul does have a spatial location, specifically, in the cranial area.

Hence, we arrive at a contradiction.

How do you resolve this contradiction?

By (a) concluding that the soul does not in fact have a spatial location;

by (b) concluding that the soul is material as opposed to immaterial; or

by (c) concluding (by defying common dictionary definitions) that immaterial does not imply non-physical?
  13. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 14:01
    Freaky, you stated that:

1)
    At death, my soul would depart. Persist, but depart the body, nonetheless.

2)

Logical problem here:

At death, the brain is no longer capable of thought.

However, according to 2), the soul should not persist, as maintaining the capability to think is asserted to be a precondition for its persisting.

Yet, according to 1), the soul persists after death.

Could you account for the inconsistency between your assertions?
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 14:052 edits
    Freaky, you stated that:
    Logically, they are not inconsistent. Just because the soul persists while the brain is capable of thought does not mean it doesn't also persist when the brain has been blenderized.

However, according to 2), the soul should not persist, as maintaining the capability to think is asserted to be a precondition for its persisting.

There's the mistake. 2) does not describe a requirement for soul persistance, but rather one condition under which the soul will persist.
  15. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 14:13
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Logically, they are not inconsistent. Just because the soul persists while the brain is capable of thought does not mean it doesn't also persist when the brain has been blenderized.

[b]However, according to 2), the soul should not persist, as maintaining the capability to think is asserted to be a precondition for its persisting.

There's the ...[text shortened]... uirement[/i] for soul persistance, but rather one condition under which the soul will persist.[/b]
    Yeah, I considered that.

However, I concluded that the expression "as long as" really did mean "if and only if", and not just "if".

I guess it's up to FreakyKBH to clarify.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree