The existence of God

The existence of God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Sep 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
Yes. I rather suspect that he too does not necessarily interpret that statement the way you do. If you had read the whole lecture you would have seen this:
Since events before the Big Bang have no observational consequences, one may as well cut them out of the theory, and say that time began at the Big Bang.

So he does not entirely rule ...[text shortened]... itely. [/quote]
He also calls some of his further speculation 'proposals' rather than 'theory'.
Do you believe that time existed before the big bang?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Sep 16

Is the sky really blue?
Is love a universal truth?
Why did the chicken cross the road?

Cape Town

Moves
26 Sep 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Do you believe that you read any of my posts thus far? Do you believe that asking a question already answered multiple times doesn't make you look like a fool? Do you have faith that you don't look like a fool when asking such questions?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Sep 16

Do you believe that you read any of my posts thus far? Do you believe that asking a question already answered multiple times doesn't make you look like a fool? Do you have faith that you don't look like a fool when asking such questions?
Well from what you have said thus far it's actually quite clear that you don't have a clue what you believe and you get upset when people ask you.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Sep 16

Well from what you have said thus far it's actually quite clear that you don't have a clue what you believe and you get upset when people ask you.
Either you are outright lying, or your reading comprehension is abysmal.
I suspect the former.
Explain why you think I don't know what I believe. What did I say that gave you that false impression? Lets see if you can back up that claim with evidence, or you just made it up.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
26 Sep 16

In an eternal inflation model yes. In the standard picture with the universe just sort of popping into existence then no, as time is a property of the universe. There isn't a "before" in the usual sense.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Sep 16

Either you are outright lying, or your reading comprehension is abysmal.
I suspect the former.
Explain why you think I don't know what I believe. What did I say that gave you that false impression? Lets see if you can back up that claim with evidence, or you just made it up.
Stephen Hawking (actual cosmologist) :” "All the evidence seems to indicate, that the universe has not existed forever, but that it had a beginning…”

Twhitehead (self proclaimed cosmologist): “There is no evidence…”

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Sep 16

Originally posted by DeepThought
In an eternal inflation model yes. In the standard picture with the universe just sort of popping into existence then no, as time is a property of the universe. There isn't a "before" in the usual sense.
Apparently there is evidence for the big bang. What evidence is there for an eternal inflation model?

Cape Town

Moves
26 Sep 16

Stephen Hawking (actual cosmologist) :” "All the evidence seems to indicate, that the universe has not existed forever, but that it had a beginning…”

That I disagree with Stephen Hawking, does not demonstrate that I do not know what I believe.
Can you provide any evidence whatsoever for your recent claim:
"it's actually quite clear that you don't have a clue what you believe "

Did you lie, or is your reading comprehension abysmal?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Sep 16
2 edits

That I disagree with Stephen Hawking, does not demonstrate that I do not know what I believe.
Can you provide any evidence whatsoever for your recent claim:
"it's actually quite clear that you don't have a clue what you believe "

You said, "There is no evidence either way, and anyone who claims that they 'believe the evidence points to' is not deserving of the title 'cosmologist'."

So do you believe Stephen Hawking deserves the title 'cosmologist'? Do you believe you know more about cosmology than Stephen Hawking?

Cape Town

Moves
26 Sep 16
1 edit

You said, "There is no evidence either way, and anyone who claims that they 'believe the evidence points to' is not deserving of the title 'cosmologist'."

So do you believe Stephen Hawking deserves the title 'cosmologist'?
Before I answer your endless questions, answer mine.
Do you have any evidence to support your claim or not?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Sep 16

Before I answer your endless questions, answer mine.
Do you have any evidence to support your claim or not?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, if you can tell me exactly what you believe and stop beating about the bush.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
26 Sep 16
1 edit

"There is no place for God in theories on the creation of the Universe."

Stephen Hawking.

Hawking may indeed have stated in the past that belief in a creator was not incompatible with science, but if you have the time or inclination to read his new book 'The Grand Design' I'm afraid you'll find he concludes that 'the Big Bang was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics.'

Alternatively you can just cherry pick quotes from Hawking that suit your argument, even though taken out of context and which ignore his more recent comments.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Sep 16
2 edits

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
"There is no place for God in theories on the creation of the Universe."

Stephen Hawking.

Hawking may indeed have stated in the past that belief in a creator was not incompatible with science, but if you have the time or inclination to read his new book 'The Grand Design' I'm afraid you'll find he concludes that 'the Big Bang was an inevitab ...[text shortened]... suit your argument, even though taken out of context and which ignore his more recent comments.
Stephen Hawking stated that the evidence points to the universe not having existed for ever. Has he retracted that statement?

Cape Town

Moves
26 Sep 16

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, if you can tell me exactly what you believe and stop beating about the bush.
I have stated multiple times what I exactly believe and have at no point been beating about the bush.
Now answer my question: were you lying or is your reading comprehension abysmal?