1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 15:19
    I heard a rather disturbing news story the other day that got me thinking what motivates people to act so wickedly. Where should the line be drawn in terms of trying to discern what contributes to wickedness? Is it stupidity, insanity, or a combination thereof?
  2. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 16:14
    I think it's resentment mostly and disappointment. Wickedness comes from resentment at not having/being/doing all the wonderful things that one thinks they should be having/being/doing. And not having the skills or opportunity to attain whatever the mssing thing is, they lash out at those around them to share the pain.

There is a thing called relentless entitlement, in which the person suffering from it believes that life would be perfect is only X were true. When that person begins to think that X is stopped from becoming true because Y is in the road, then the person suffering can manifest enormous amounts of rage directed at Y.

All acting out is essentially an unconscious effort on the actor's part to gain the attention of Somebody in Charge to come and make their situation right.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 16:15

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 02:584 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    When I look back on things that I considered to be "sinful", I look back at a person who was short sided and petty. I then wonder, how can I have ever thought these acts would benefit me or anyone else in the least? What was I thinking? Was I stupid? Was I nuts?

For me, sin occurs when we don't have the ability to see the "Big picture", which none of us are 100% capable of doing, and not relying on the one power that can. Our thoughts are then turned inward as we selfishly focus only on ourselves. It certainly simplifies things to our liking, but it makes us go awry. This can occur from various sources such as the lack of intellectual capacity and/or perhaps a lack of emotional well being etc. All in all, it is a rather pathetic state. It is like watching a fatherless child trying to rear himself.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 03:02
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Very true. It is more of a road we are on than a specific act. These things build on themselves.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 11:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    I heard a rather disturbing news story the other day that got me thinking what motivates people to act so wickedly. Where should the line be drawn in terms of trying to discern what contributes to wickedness? Is it stupidity, insanity, or a combination thereof?
    "Is it stupidity, insanity, or a combination thereof?"

Stupidity and insanity are symptoms of sin.

Sin, I think, can be defined in two ways.

1. Sin is any thought, word, or deed, that violates the law of God.

2. Sin is the state of one's spiritual condition.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree