1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    26 May '06 08:50
    What's your concept of what truth might look like if you really found it?

The fact that Christianity runs contrary to percieved wisdom and many established Philosophies is an encouragement to me because that's exactly what I would expect from a living God. He's going to rustle a few feathers and put a fly in everyone's ointment. If it wasn't wierd or hard to understand I would find it unconvincing. If it didn't stick in the throat sometimes I would get worried.

Christian theology says that the world is topsy turvy and it needs putting back the right way up. It's going to look back to front to many people. It's mad , incredible , insane! , but truth to me is always likely to not be mainstream but radically challenging. This is the way it should be. Our wisdom is as foolishness to God and Christianity should always be a stumbling block to the so called 'wise' of this world.
  2. The sky
    Moves
    26 May '06 10:19
    Originally posted by knightmeister

The fact that Christianity runs contrary to percieved wisdom and many established Philosophies is an encouragement to me because that's exactly what I would expect from a living God. He's going to rustle a few feathers and put a fly in everyone's ointment. If it wasn't wierd o ...[text shortened]... Christianity should always be a stumbling block to the so called 'wise' of this world.
    Why do you expect a living God to make his religion look insane? Usually if you find out the truth about something, things make more sense than before, not less. The fact that something is unlikely or crazy doesn't make it more, but less likely that it is true. I am not saying that the truth can't sometimes be hard to believe and difficult to understand, but I can't see how it would be less believable if it were more understandable.

What will your next thread be called? The cockroach in the soup? The atheist in the chocolate bar?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 May '06 10:20
    --Waiter, waiter, there's a dead squid in my soup.
    --It's not dead, sir, it's only dreaming.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    26 May '06 10:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Must be wormwood.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 May '06 10:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I was thinking of 'there's a god in my bolognese!' but you beat me to it.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 May '06 10:45

I think truth is that which seems most reasonable to the individual.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 May '06 11:06

The fact that Christianity runs contrary to percieved wisdom and many established Philosophies is an encouragement to me because that's exactly what I would expect from a living God. He's going to rustle a few feathers and put a fly in everyone's ointment. If it wasn't wierd o ...[text shortened]... Christianity should always be a stumbling block to the so called 'wise' of this world.
    Surely that means you should actually be following one of the more far-fetched religions like scientology or something like that? (Flying Spaghetti Monster?)
    Why not make up your own religion, that would be the least belivable of all because you know for sure its all made up.
    I dont see why the truth should be simple. I dont however see why something being complicated, hard to understand or even controvertial could possibly indicate that it is the truth. Whereas the opposite is true. If something makes sense, seems simple, is easy to understand, then its likelyhood of being true is quite high.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    26 May '06 11:32
    There's a fly at my window (sorry it's not in the ointment). That's quite common at this time of the year. It also makes sense that it goes to the window, because that's where the light is coming from. I think it's way too believable to be true.

I have concluded that there is no fly at my window.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '06 12:47
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Why do you expect a living God to make his religion look insane? Usually if you find out the truth about something, things make more sense than before, not less. The fact that something is unlikely or crazy doesn't make it more, but less likely that it is true. I am not saying that the truth can't sometimes be hard to believe and difficult to understand, but ...[text shortened]... will your next thread be called? The cockroach in the soup? The atheist in the chocolate bar?
    I don't believe that whodey was saying it (Christianity) is insane, but rather appears insane to the one armed strictly with human viewpoint thinking.

Let's face it: with all power, why in the world would He need to subject Himself to the humiliation/pain of the cross? Insanity!
  10. The sky
    Moves
    26 May '06 13:10
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I don't believe that whodey was saying it (Christianity) is insane, but rather appears insane to the one armed strictly with human viewpoint thinking.

Let's face it: with all power, why in the world would He need to subject Himself to the humiliation/pain of the cross? Insanity!
    If you read my post again, you'll see that I didn't say it is insane either ("Why do you expect a living God to make his religion look insane?" ). By the way, whodey didn't say anything. 😉
  11. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    26 May '06 19:10
    Why do you expect a living God to make his religion look insane? Usually if you find out the truth about something, things make more sense than before, not less. The fact that something is unlikely or crazy doesn't make it more, but less likely that it is true. I am not saying that the truth can't sometimes be hard to believe and difficult to understand, but ...[text shortened]... will your next thread be called? The cockroach in the soup? The atheist in the chocolate bar?
    Of course Christianity makes more (not less) sense once you find out the truth , but it doesn't surprise me that it looks barmy (as in upside down) from the outside. That's the way it should be.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 May '06 19:111 edit
    [look[/i] insane?" ). By the way, whodey didn't say anything. 😉[/b]
    Who, what, where, when? Thanks. Yes, I don't recall ever saying anything on the subject. However, I would like to give my 2 cents. It goes back to my totality of reality post. God is the totality of reality and sees all and knows all. We are finite, however, and our vision is therefore impaired to see the totality of reality. It would then stand to reason that God's perspective is different from our. In fact, his perspective must be different from ours. It is much like you telling your child to eat his vegetables before he has desert. The child only cares about what he wants to do, and thinks anything short of this is absurd. He may not be developmentally able to understand the reasons behind your request and may find you to be out of your mind. After all, who likes the taste of brussel sprouts?
  13. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    26 May '06 19:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Surely that means you should actually be following one of the more far-fetched religions like scientology or something like that? (Flying Spaghetti Monster?)
    Why not make up your own religion, that would be the least belivable of all because you know for sure its all made up.
    I dont see why the truth should be simple. I dont however see why something be ...[text shortened]... kes sense, seems simple, is easy to understand, then its likelyhood of being true is quite high.
    I agree. Far fetched is not the same as upside down. It's crazy in the sense that it undermines our value system rather than asking us to look out fo UFOS. This is but one aspect of Christianity , you are taking my point to an extreme.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 May '06 19:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    God is the totality of reality and sees all and knows all. We are finite, however, and our vision is therefore impaired to see the totality of reality.
    The logical conclusion of these two statements is that we cannot see God.
  15. The sky
    Moves
    26 May '06 19:48
    Of course Christianity makes more (not less) sense once you find out the truth , but it doesn't surprise me that it looks barmy (as in upside down) from the outside. That's the way it should be.
    Why? Does God want to keep people away from it because there's not enough room in Heaven?

To me, it looked nice at first glance, but the more I learned, the less sense it made. I tried hard to ignore reason to be able to keep my faith, but reason won in the end.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree