1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    28 May '05 04:56
    has anyone else seen the new documentary that has just recently come out (or is yet to come out)? by its own words, it 'explores the non-existence of jesus.'

http://www.thegodmovie.com

i recently saw a special screening and also attended a Q&A session with the film's creator.

my take on the movie is that it is decidedly one-sided. the guy who made it was raised to be a fundamentalist christian and has extensive knowledge of the religion, but has since rejected all faith-based religions. the movie is entertaining and funny, no doubt, but it doesn't really try to keep the argument fair. i was hoping for a little more substance and a lot more debate.

if you want to know where the guy is coming from (since i was at the QA session, this is not speculation): his intent is not to directly attack jesus, per se. he views all faith-based religions as equally absurd. he just made it about jesus because chrisitianity is what he knew best and he saw that as a good starting point to get people back on the track to 'reason'. he views the bible, and all other religious texts, as mythology, the same as the greek variety. thus to him, jesus should be viewed as just another literary character, such as zeus or forrest gump. in this sense, he mentioned that the bible to him was a nice bit of drama. i would also characterize him as anti-religion, or at least anti-faith-based-religion because he holds the view that faith serves no good. in particular, he is a little bitter about how the bible is taught to children as a book of absolute truth when he sees no reason to think the book is any more true than any piece of fiction (the bible was stuffed down his throat when he was young).

i was just interested if any one else had seen it and what your take on it was. i doubt many have as i don't think it's even been released yet.
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    28 May '05 07:36
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    has anyone else seen the new documentary that has just recently come out (or is yet to come out)? by its own words, it 'explores the non-existence of jesus.'

http://www.thegodmovie.com

i recently saw a special screening and also attended a Q&A session with the film's creator.

my take on the movie is that it is decidedly one-sided. the guy wh ...[text shortened]... and what your take on it was. i doubt many have as i don't think it's even been released yet.
    I've seen the trailer. I have read and listened to things from some of the people who appear in the documentary. I am a little hesitant right now to adopt the mythological Jesus view although there are Bible scholars who do. And a one-sided argument is fine with me as long as its clear that that is where you are coming from. There's nothing dishonest about presenting your side of the story. The other side has a whole set of Apocalyptic fiction to counterbalance anything in this film.

As far as his view on the efficacy of religion, I agree with him. I see no reason to give Jesus any more special consideration than characters from other myths (and yes I believe that there is a strong myth component to xtianity). I believe that the only reason most Western non-believers give Jesus such special status is because it is the god story most familiar to them.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    28 May '05 22:47
    Originally posted by telerion
    I see no reason to give Jesus any more special consideration than characters from other myths
    Indeed. Almost as if the Jesus tale was an amalgamation. And perhaps allegorical, at that. You know, 12+1 and all. Jesus Fish, forsooth.

The movie looks mildly entertaining, but sure to displease a certain stubborn segment. Think I'll order up a copy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree