1. Standard memberStregone
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 17:25
    When asked by a fan if Buddhist ideas influenced them in the production of the movie, the Wachowski brothers offered an unqualified "Yes." Indeed, Buddhist ideas pervade the film...even the title of the film evokes the Buddhist worldview. The matrix is described by Morpheus as "a prison for your mind," and makes it clear that Neo cannot depend upon him for enlightenment. Morpheus explains, "no one can be told what the matrix is. You have to see it for yourself." He tells Neo he must make the final shift in perception entirely on his own. He says: "I’m trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You’re the one that has to walk through it." For Theravada Buddhists, "man’s emancipation depends on his own realization of the Truth, and not on the benevolent grace of a god or any external power as a reward for his obedient good behavior."
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 18:20
    Originally posted by Stregone
    When asked by a fan if Buddhist ideas influenced them in the production of the movie, the Wachowski brothers offered an unqualified "Yes." Indeed, Buddhist ideas pervade the film...even the title of the film evokes the Buddhist worldview. The matrix is described by Morpheus as "a prison for your mind," and makes it clear that Neo cannot depend upon him for ...[text shortened]... lent grace of a god or any external power as a reward for his obedient good behavior."
    Why can't people be told what the Matrix is? Why should Neo be expected to make a choice of such magnitude with no information?
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 19:43
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Why can't people be told what the Matrix is? Why should Neo be expected to make a choice of such magnitude with no information?
    The experience of the matrix is exactly that , an experience and experiential knowledge is distinct from intellectual knowledge. Christianity calls it knowing Christ , Buddhism - enlightenment etc etc.
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 19:47
    Originally posted by Stregone
    When asked by a fan if Buddhist ideas influenced them in the production of the movie, the Wachowski brothers offered an unqualified "Yes." Indeed, Buddhist ideas pervade the film...even the title of the film evokes the Buddhist worldview. The matrix is described by Morpheus as "a prison for your mind," and makes it clear that Neo cannot depend upon him for ...[text shortened]... lent grace of a god or any external power as a reward for his obedient good behavior."
    BTW - Are you attempting to reclaim the Matrix idea for Buddhism? If so , I don't mind , I wasn't aware that it was a buddhist franchise. If you are a buddhist you seem awfully possessive about this film , do you object to it being interpreted in different ways?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree