1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 02:55
    @caissad4 said
    In Indonesia , do all siblings inherit equally or do they follow Islamic law where the females inherit 1/2 of what the male heirs inherit ?
    The degree to which people conform with tradition varies from region to region and from family to family. The Minangkabau of Sumatra have a matrilineal tradition even though they are strongly Islamic.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 03:03
    @whodey said
    And looking at the reality of our existence in regards to what we know about the nature of man, the Christian model seems to make the most sense and much closer to the truth.
    I am not aware that there's anyone who is suggesting you change your religion.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 11:39
    @caissad4 said
    Yes , in the Quran , it is stated that Mohammad is the perfect man .
    Someone asked Mohammed whether he (Mohammed) would go to heaven. Mohammed replied that he did not know, only Allah knew.

http://www.jesus-islam.org/questions/muhammad-etait-il-certain-daller-au-paradis/
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 11:471 edit
    @whodey said
    Why on earth would they then question the morality of their supreme leader Mo by suggesting that marriage at the age of 6 is not moral?
    A large body of Islamic law has grown up since the Koran was written down. It is a religion not frozen in time, you know.

Google “Indonesian women” and look at images. You won’t see them wearing burkas. Some westerners have a very one-sided image of Islam. This is partly due to inadequate reporting by western media, partly due to over-reporting and sensationalizing of certain very extreme or militant forms of Islam (e.g., Wahabism, the ideological roots of the Taliban).
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 03:39
    @divegeester said
    How will raising the legal age by three years from 16 curb child marriage?
    I think UN statistics defines a child-marriage as any
    marriage where one of the participants is under 18.
  6. Joined
    07 Oct '19
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 06:17
    For me, the legal age to marry is 23 at the female and 25 at the male
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 14:11
    @fmf said
    Do you think the UK's 16 y.o. is too low?
    There is currently parliamentary talk about raising it to 18. There is a contradiction here. In the UK the age of consent is 16, and it seems odd that one can give informed consent to sex at 16 but not marry.

One can only marry with parental consent. If there is no sign of coercive control then I don't see a problem. The difficulty is that in cases where there is a problem the people one would hope would provide guidance and support, in other words the parents and faith leaders, are part of the problem. Worse there are enough people working in social services that would be opposed to them marrying on general principles, and not look at the case objectively.

So I think this is a very difficult problem. Except where there is an age gap. If one party is much older, say the prospective husband is 30+ and the prospective bride 16, then that is a huge red flag and it should be stopped until the girl is 18 and has legal autonomy.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 02:38
    @deepthought said
    There is currently parliamentary talk about raising it to 18. There is a contradiction here. In the UK the age of consent is 16, and it seems odd that one can give informed consent to sex at 16 but not marry.

One can only marry with parental consent. If there is no sign of coercive control then I don't see a problem. The difficulty is that in cases where there is a ...[text shortened]... , then that is a huge red flag and it should be stopped until the girl is 18 and has legal autonomy.
    Hmm. Sounds like some kind of formula must needs be concocted that accounts for not just the ages of a couple that wishes to marry, but also the absolute value of the difference in ages, among other things.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree