1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 03:00
    Nordlys said: "One of the guys he named was Allah, which is the Arabic word for God."

Is that accurate?

By what name do Arabic speaking Christians call the God of Abraham? That is, do they call the Father of the Holy Trinity by the name Allah?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 03:08
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Nordlys said: "One of the guys he named was Allah, which is the Arabic word for God."

Is that accurate?

By what name do Arabic speaking Christians call the God of Abraham? That is, do they call the Father of the Holy Trinity by the name Allah?
    Probably the simplist thing to do is call God in the way he revealed himself to Moses. Just think of Popeye. I am what I am.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 09:29

Is that accurate?

According to my encyclopaedia and wikipedia, they do.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:14

Is that accurate?

It is imperative that the term Allah not be totally destroyed in Western minds. Otherwise, even Arab Christians will be questioned as to their authenticity and worship of the one, triune God, according to Christian orthodoxy. Such linguistic destruction also threatens to harm relationships with Muslims and potentially arouses hatred. The problem is linguistic, not theological.

Arabic was spoken at Pentecost, a watershed event in church history (Acts 2:8–11). Its usage regarding the worship of God predates English. In fact, Muhammad may have borrowed the term from Christians and Jews of his day. A Washington University anthropology professor states, “Allah is the south Semitic version of the north Semitic Elohim…so that the Eloh and Allah versions appear to come from the same Semitic root.” Let’s exercise caution in speaking of Islam’s different tenets and not demonize Allah, who is found throughout the Old and New Testaments in the Arabic Bible, as is God in our English version. The apostle John said, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Allah, and the Word was Allah” (see John 1:1). We can join our Arab brothers and sisters in Christ who often say, “Allah be praised!”

-- Helen Louise Herndon
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:18
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    It is imperative that the term Allah not be totally destroyed in Western minds. Otherwise, even Arab Christians will be questioned as to their authenticity and worship of the one, triune God, according to Christian orthodoxy. Such linguistic destruction also threatens to harm relationships with Muslims and potentially arouses hatred. The problem is linguis ...[text shortened]... ab brothers and sisters in Christ who often say, “Allah be praised!”

-- Helen Louise Herndon
    I see. So, do you worship Allah?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:29
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    According to my encyclopaedia and wikipedia, they do.
    Do Muslims think that their god is the same as the Jewish god?
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:54
    I see. So, do you worship Allah?
    Not in the word's current denotation. In the traditional Arabic meaning, yes.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 18:03
    Not in the word's current denotation. In the traditional Arabic meaning, yes.
    So, is Nordlys wrong that the word currently denotes the Christian God?
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 18:41
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Probably the simplist thing to do is call God in the way he revealed himself to Moses. Just think of Popeye. I am what I am.
    I remember the Jews got mad when Jesus said, "I AM".
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 19:46

Is that accurate?

Yes Arab Christians say Allah, and not only that,

If you know , the language of Jesus was Aramaic , go to this link and check what GOD means in Aramaic and also you can hear it.

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_G-d/Elah/elah.html

It is exactly the same as Arabic, which make me belive that it is the right word.
  11. Joined
    18 Dec '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 19:46
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I remember the Jews got mad when Jesus said, "I AM".
    Really? Were you there? Please tell ... I have never heared an eyewitness story by anybody who has really been there.
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 19:481 edit
    It is imperative that the term Allah not be totally destroyed in Western minds. Otherwise, even Arab Christians will be questioned as to their authenticity and worship of the one, triune God, according to Christian orthodoxy. Such linguistic destruction also threatens to harm relationships with Muslims and potentially arouses hatred. The problem is linguis ...[text shortened]... ab brothers and sisters in Christ who often say, “Allah be praised!”

-- Helen Louise Herndon
    In fact, Muhammad may have borrowed the term from Christians and Jews of his day.

I'm sorry your statment is wrong. The word Allah exists in Arabic before the prophet. And people in Arabis used it to refere to the only GOD, although they worshiped many GODs but they belived that those GODs are mediators to the only GOD , Allah.
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 19:49
    Do Muslims think that their god is the same as the Jewish god?
    Yes
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 20:36
    Originally posted by Sushill
    Really? Were you there? Please tell ... I have never heared an eyewitness story by anybody who has really been there.
    It is called Living by faith in the word of God.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 21:40
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    Yes
    Then why all the fighting between the two peoples?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree