1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 20:04
    Whats the difference between the Old Testament, the Torah, and the Muslim verson (if any)?
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 01:31
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Whats the difference between the Old Testament, the Torah, and the Muslim verson (if any)?
    The “Old Testament” is the Christian term for the Hebrew scriptures called the Tanach—which is an acronym for Torah, Prophets (nevi’im) and Writings (ketuvim).

Torah is, strictly, the first five books—although it may sometimes be used loosely for the whole thing. Torah (which means “teaching” ) also refers to the Oral Torah in rabbinical Judaism, which includes the Talmuds and the Midrashim—although these written texts form the base for the Oral Torah as an ongoing hermeneutical tradition.

Whether or not Muslims recognize the Oral Torah at all, I don’t know.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 12:383 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    The “Old Testament” is the Christian term for the Hebrew scriptures called the Tanach—which is an acronym for Torah, Prophets (nevi’im) and Writings (ketuvim).

Torah is, strictly, the first five books—although it may sometimes be used loosely for the whole thing. Torah (which means “teaching” ) also refers to the Oral Torah in rabbinical Ju ...[text shortened]... ermeneutical tradition.

Whether or not Muslims recognize the Oral Torah at all, I don’t know.
    I believe they recognize it vistesd, however, they simply say it has been "corrupted". For example, a man of God such as David, in Mohammads opinion, could never have sinned in such a way as he did when he committed adultery and then had her husband killed. Mohammads theology was not compatible with the theology of the Bible in that we are in a fallen state. Therefore, certain Imams, for example, might be viewed as holy and sinless in the eyes of many Muslims. Conversly, a Christian should realize that their preacher is no better than they in that all have sinned. This then shifts the focus away from the messenger to that of the source giving the message, or at least, that is the way it should be. All glory belongs to God.

Edit: Where is ahosyney when you need him?
  4. England
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 13:14
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]The “Old Testament” is the Christian term for the Hebrew scriptures called the Tanach—which is an acronym for Torah, Prophets (nevi’im) and Writings (ketuvim).

Torah is, strictly, the first five books—although it may sometimes be used loosely for the whole thing. Torah (which means “teaching” ) also refers to the Oral Torah in rabbinical Ju ...[text shortened]... although these written texts form the base for the Oral Torah as an ongoing hermeneutical tradition.
    thanks even i was not up on that.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 13:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    I believe they recognize it vistesd, however, they simply say it has been "corrupted". For example, a man of God such as David, in Mohammads opinion, could never have sinned in such a way as he did when he committed adultery and then had her husband killed. Mohammads theology was not compatible with the theology of the Bible in that we are in a fallen state ...[text shortened]... he way it should be. All glory belongs to God.

And Christians got around that problem by elevating their messenger (Jesus) to God status.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 13:301 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And Christians got around that problem by elevating their messenger (Jesus) to God status.
    Indeed. He is God in the flesh from the Christian perspective. Therefore, he is considered to be the only sinless man to ever live. Having read about him, I know of no one like him. Here we have someone who teaches that we should love our enemies and turn the other cheek and then practice what he preaches. Here we have a man who says that I am the way, the truth, and the life yet he is humble in spirit and does not seek wordly power and fame and lives his life by serving others. In fact, he teaches that in order to lead one must first serve. He then fulfills prophesies fortold in the Torah and constantly points to the Torah as having spoken about him being the Messiah. I ask you, who is like him? Follow whom you will including your own lusts and desires but as for me, I will follow Christ.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 18:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    I believe they recognize it vistesd, however, they simply say it has been "corrupted". For example, a man of God such as David, in Mohammads opinion, could never have sinned in such a way as he did when he committed adultery and then had her husband killed. Mohammads theology was not compatible with the theology of the Bible in that we are in a fallen state ...[text shortened]... he way it should be. All glory belongs to God.

Or Peachy?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree