1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 00:51
    In sociology and economics, the precariat is a social class formed by people suffering from precarity, which is a condition of existence without predictability or security, affecting material or psychological welfare as well as being a member of a proletariat class of industrial workers who lack their own means of production and hence sell their labour to live. Specifically, it is applied to the condition of lack of job security, in other words intermittent employment or underemployment and the resultant precarious existence. The emergence of this class has been ascribed to the entrenchment of neoliberal capitalism. The term is a portmanteau obtained by merging precarious with proletariat. (wiki)

Does religion help people to come to terms with the predicaments they face? Are there personal predicaments that are made worse by religious beliefs and religiosity?
  2. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 14:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    [quote]In sociology and economics, the precariat is a social class formed by people suffering from precarity, which is a condition of existence without predictability or security, affecting material or psychological welfare as well as being a member of a proletariat class of industrial workers who lack their own means of production and hence sell their labour to ...[text shortened]... face? Are there personal predicaments that are made worse by religious beliefs and religiosity?
    I too have wondered if religion is a coping strategy analog and if, then on what level?

Animalia evolves by and in survival. A rational animal knows survival to be impossible and must justify drive with futility. Have we evolved into religion?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 14:24
    Originally posted by JerryH
    I too have wondered if religion is a coping strategy analog and if, then on what level?

Animalia evolves by and in survival. A rational animal knows survival to be impossible and must justify drive with futility. Have we evolved into religion?
    You are talking about the utilitarian purpose of religious belief. I think religion offers a number of utilitarian benefits, such as: a rationale for survival beyond the grave, a rationale for life having an overarching narrative, in a way an adventure story pitting good versus evil in which we are active participants, and on a more mundane note, a rationale/motivation for socially acceptable behavior. This is not to say that none of the various religions is a spot-on accurate depiction of reality, however much that conclusion tempts the freethinker. It's put there by Satan!
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does religion help people to come to terms with the predicaments they face? Are there personal predicaments that are made worse by religious beliefs and religiosity?
    Yes and yes. I doubt anyone would fail to come up with examples of both. The real questions are:
    1. is it, as a whole, beneficial or not to the believer, and is it beneficial or not to society?
    2. even if it is beneficial, is it desirable if it is not true?

I think the answer to 1 may be very situationally dependant.
    I think those answering yes to 2. should consider that communists came to the same conclusion and essentially made the party the religion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree