1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    25 May '06 22:27
    Christianity says that it is possible to know the truth except it's not in the way that many Atheists would like. The Atheist position seems to be " prove this to me and I will have faith in it" whereas Christ says "seek and you will find, knock and the door will be open to you , let me make my home in you and you will know the truth" So what is to stop any Atheist giving it a try? You could think of it like trying a new hobby for a while , or going on a blind date...if it doesn't work out then you can go back to the old ways. Even better you would be able to say "look Christians, I have really really tried it out and it's bunkum" . How many of you have done this? Christianity says the proof is in the pudding , the Atheist dogma seems to be " I'm not gonna try the pudding until you prove it" but what have you got to lose apart from a little pride?

    I look forward to lots of 'but I have tried it' responses , this could get interesting

    (NB- If any of you are tempted to try this then try and be less rigid with the concept of 'knowing ' the truth. Christianity uses the word know in the sense of the way a man 'knows' his wife (ie intimacy) , not in the sense of knowing that 23x5= 115)
  2. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    25 May '06 22:36
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Christianity says that it is possible to know the truth except it's not in the way that many Atheists would like. The Atheist position seems to be " prove this to me and I will have faith in it" whereas Christ says "seek and you will find, knock and the door will be open to you , let me make my home in you and you will know the truth" So what is to s ...[text shortened]... n 'knows' his wife (ie intimacy) , not in the sense of knowing that 23x5= 115)
    But I have tried it.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '03
    Moves
    6063
    25 May '06 22:52
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Christianity says that it is possible to know the truth except it's not in the way that many Atheists would like. The Atheist position seems to be " prove this to me and I will have faith in it" whereas Christ says "seek and you will find, knock and the door will be open to you , let me make my home in you and you will know the truth" So what is to s ...[text shortened]... n 'knows' his wife (ie intimacy) , not in the sense of knowing that 23x5= 115)
    But I have tried it.
  4. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    55256
    25 May '06 22:53
    I eat pudding all the bloody time.
    I've not met God, Jesus, Mohammed or any other deity yet!

    I once found a fly though.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    25 May '06 23:10
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I eat pudding all the bloody time.
    I've not met God, Jesus, Mohammed or any other deity yet!

    I once found a fly though.
    Shavixmir , you spoiled it! I wanted 3 "but I have tried it" s in a row! You guys are not as predictable as I thought!
  6. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    25 May '06 23:14
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Shavixmir , you spoiled it! I wanted 3 "but I have tried it" s in a row! You guys are not as predictable as I thought!
    Actually my reply doesn't count either, because I don't consider myself an atheist.
  7. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    17944
    25 May '06 23:15
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Actually my reply doesn't count either, because I don't consider myself an atheist.
    do you believe in a god?
  8. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    25 May '06 23:15
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    (Christianity uses the word know in the sense of the way a man 'knows' his wife (ie intimacy) , not in the sense of knowing that 23x5= 115)
    You mean we are supposed to have sex with God?
  9. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    25 May '06 23:16
    Originally posted by trevor33
    do you believe in a god?
    No. I am an agnostic.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    25 May '06 23:18
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Shavixmir , you spoiled it! I wanted 3 "but I have tried it" s in a row! You guys are not as predictable as I thought!
    You did get three. You just haven't tried hard enough to believe it.
  11. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    25 May '06 23:19
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    You mean we are supposed to have sex with God?
    Sorry context error , back to the point of the thread if you please.
  12. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    17944
    25 May '06 23:22
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    No. I am an agnostic.
    not a lot of difference from an atheist though. slightly more unsure but other than that nothing really.
  13. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    25 May '06 23:29
    Originally posted by trevor33
    not a lot of difference from an atheist though. slightly more unsure but other than that nothing really.
    I know some people use the term "weak atheism" for something not much, if at all different from agnosticism. I tried to discuss this a while ago, but that discussion died. To me, it makes more sense to call my stance "agnostic".
  14. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    17944
    25 May '06 23:41
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I know some people use the term "weak atheism" for something not much, if at all different from agnosticism. I tried to discuss this a while ago, but that discussion died. To me, it makes more sense to call my stance "agnostic".
    do you believe that there could/might be a god, or just there is no god evolution did this?
  15. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    25 May '06 23:45
    Originally posted by trevor33
    do you believe that there could/might be a god, or just there is no god evolution did this?
    Quoting myself:

    Personally, I would reply "yes" to the question "Do you believe the Christian God does not exist?", but "no" both to the question "Do you believe in any kind of god?" and "Do you believe that there is no god of any kind?"

    Thread 44020
Back to Top