1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 19:421 edit
    I was watching a report on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on the role of athletes in this movement.

You can watch and read a companion piece here:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

From the companion piece:
    "...prosperity gospel message -- a controversial evangelical Christian doctrine that teaches members that through tithing, the practice of donating 10 percent of one's income to the church, they'll be rewarded, not just spiritually but financially.

How much further from the teachings of Jesus can Christianity get?
  2. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 22:07
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I was watching a report on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on the role of athletes in this movement.

"...prosperity gospel message -- [b]a controversial evangelical Christian doctrine that teaches members that through tithing
    , the pra ...[text shortened]... but financially[/b].

How much further from the teachings of Jesus can Christianity get?[/b]
    I know it's pathetic really. So what in your opinion HAS actually happened to Jesus' church. He said the gates of hell would not prevail against it. Where is it? Have you come to re-start it for us ? Is Jesus going to help you? Are you the only true Christian alive?

You would do better to point us towards the light instead of constantly knocking Christianity. You seem obsessed with driving a stake into Christianity's heart but still proposing the teachings of Jesus. Ok , so what if Christianity is dysfunctional - what do we do then? Are you all problems with no answers?
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 08:29

"...prosperity gospel message -- [b]a controversial evangelical Christian doctrine that teaches members that through tithing

Its not "christianity" If it really was christianity they would be following the teachings of Jesus. They are charlatans.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 20:01
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Its not "christianity" If it really was christianity they would be following the teachings of Jesus. They are charlatans.
    Well, from what I can tell, most of Christianity does not actually follow the teachings of Jesus. Most of Christianity seems to follow the teachings of Paul and the followers of Paul.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 20:082 edits
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I know it's pathetic really. So what in your opinion HAS actually happened to Jesus' church. He said the gates of hell would not prevail against it. Where is it? Have you come to re-start it for us ? Is Jesus going to help you? Are you the only true Christian alive?

You would do better to point us towards the light instead of constantly knocking C if Christianity is dysfunctional - what do we do then? Are you all problems with no answers?
    As I've stated on numerous occasions and of which you are well aware: The answer is to actually follow the teachings of Jesus. What has happened to "Jesus' Church", from what I can tell, is that it was hijacked by Paul and followers of Paul. Why do you continue to ask questions like, "Are you all problems with no answers?"?

These are yet more examples of the types of dishonest attacks to which you continually resort.

Sadly, from what I can tell, the types of behavior you continually exhibit is not at all unusual for a "Christian".
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 19:07
    As I've stated on numerous occasions and of which you are well aware: The answer is to actually follow the teachings of Jesus. What has happened to "Jesus' Church", from what I can tell, is that it was hijacked by Paul and followers of Paul. Why do you continue to ask questions like, "Are you all problems with no answers?"?

These are yet more examples ...[text shortened]... , the types of behavior you continually exhibit is not at all unusual for a "Christian".
    From what you have said it seems as if we are in agreement about some things. I would agree that the church has been hijacked and distorted but I don't think it's by St Paul , I think it's by governments and the establishment.

The early church of St Paul's time was radical , dynamic and spirit filled and there's no suggestion that Paul is " easy" on sin or looking for an easy life (he certainly didn't get one).

I wonder what you think Paul's agenda was exactly. I have no doubts at all that he would have joined you unequivocally in your condemnation of the gospel of prosperity. St Paul's charactor seems to me to be very humble and spiritual. Why do you judge him so harshly? He obviously felt himself to be touched by God and to be following the way of love and peace.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 13:05

Read Revelation 3. Note what Jesus says to the Church of Laodicea.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 15:171 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Read Revelation 3. Note what Jesus says to the Church of Laodicea.
    I don't want to make any assumptions here, so can you explicitly state and illustrate your point?
  9. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 15:25
    The Prosperity Gospel sounds suspiciously close to the "Gospel of Wealth."
  10. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 20:16
    Sounds like the same thing to me, have you ever heard of being poor in Spirit?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 22:51
    I don't want to make any assumptions here, so can you explicitly state and illustrate your point?
    Rev. 3:17

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree