1. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 14:331 edit
    I seem to remember reading something about how the universe is expanding and retracting itself repeatedly, like a heart beats. I was thinking about that, and thought that what if there isn't just one Big Bang, but repeated ones?

What happens when the universe has retracted to such a small size that all matter and energy just don't fit. Then it explodes again right? And when it's reached such a size that it can no longer expand, it starts retracting because the gravitational forces of all the stars and galaxies pulls them all back together.

What if, God is the universe? Unaware of itself. What if, I'm so full of it that I can almost taste it in my mouth? How about I prepare for the evening out and stop pondering such silly ideas? What if... Bye everyone.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 14:35
    Originally posted by stocken
    I seem to remember reading something about how the universe is expanding and retracting itself repeatedly, like a heart beats. I was thinking about that, and thought that what if there isn't just one Big Bang, but repeated ones?

What happens when the universe has retracted to such a small size that all matter and energy just don't fit. Then it explodes ag ...[text shortened]... I prepare for the evening out and stop pondering such silly ideas? What if... Bye everyone.
    Giant pulsating universes...Dude!
    Lay off the drugs.

God created everything. It's as clear as...well as...as...as....
    as something that is blatantly and omnipotently clear.

Potency, pulsation...and I didn't even crack a dick joke!
  3. Sydney
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 14:50

What happens when the universe has retracted to such a small size that all matter and energy just don't fit. Then it explodes ag ...[text shortened]... I prepare for the evening out and stop pondering such silly ideas? What if... Bye everyone.
    In 9th grade science, we were told that the Big Bang was only one of many, for the exact hypothetical reason you just stated.
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:09
    Originally posted by JRambo
    In 9th grade science, we were told that the Big Bang was only one of many, for the exact hypothetical reason you just stated.
    They stated that God is the universe? 😛

I knew it was an old theory (minus the God part). I just wasn't sure about the details. Thanks.

Could you tell me who came up with this notion?
  5. Sydney
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:13
    They stated that God is the universe? 😛

I knew it was an old theory (minus the God part). I just wasn't sure about the details. Thanks.

Could you tell me who came up with this notion?
    No, I couldn't say who's theory it was. I never really liked the whole science thing.

Although, as of late, the theory has held a much larger degree of truth to me.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 17:58

Well the pulsating universe has been given a severe blow, with the discovery the universe expansion is accelerating not slowing down. It may still change later in the future so stay tuned.
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 01:01
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Giant pulsating universes...Dude!
    Lay off the drugs.

God created everything. It's as clear as...well as...as...as....
    as something that is blatantly and omnipotently clear.

Potency, pulsation...and I didn't even crack a dick joke!
    what da heck does Nixon have to do with the big bang?
    dont change dicks in the middle of ascrew
    re-elect nixon in '72
  8. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 11:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well the pulsating universe has been given a severe blow, with the discovery the universe expansion is accelerating not slowing down.
    In all fairness, that in itself doesn't disprove the theory of the "pulsating universe".

Shouldn't it work something like this:

Boom! The universe expands in an accelerating fashion until the power from the explosion starts to faint and a deceleration process begins. Finally, there's a stop and the universe begins to retract again.

For all you know, we could still be in the phase of acceleration after the boom. HA!
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 13:02
    In all fairness, that in itself doesn't disprove the theory of the "pulsating universe".

Shouldn't it work something like this:

Boom! The universe expands in an accelerating fashion until the power from the explosion starts to faint and a deceleration process begins. Finally, there's a stop and the universe begins to retract again.

For all you know, we could still be in the phase of acceleration after the boom. HA!
    The known forces of the universe (gravity etc) are not strong enough to stop the acceleration. However as the exact causes of the acceleration are unknown at this point we cannot rule out a contraction. However 'the pulsating universe' idea must remain at hypothesis stage until at least some evidence and testable predictions can be made.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 13:54
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The known forces of the universe (gravity etc) are not strong enough to stop the acceleration. However as the exact causes of the acceleration are unknown at this point we cannot rule out a contraction. However 'the pulsating universe' idea must remain at hypothesis stage until at least some evidence and testable predictions can be made.
    I'll go along with that concept.
  11. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 17:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, of course it's an hypothesis. Nothing about the birth, being and eventual death of the universe at this time is anything but hypothesis. Even Big Bang itself is a hypothesis.

I like hypothesises. They're fun. 🙂

Let's add to this with another one of my less informed conjectures. As I understand it, the universe is shaped much like a ball and all the galaxies are caught in the surface of this ball. What is within it and on the outside is yet unknown?

Ok, let's assume that's the case although I have an unpleasant feeling someone will correct me here. Let's further assume that the amount of surface material is limited. Three things can happen once we get to the limit:

1) The ball explodes into a thousand pieces as the surface gives way for the inner pressure, or
    2) whatever force expands the surface from within is not strong enough to keep pushing and the ball will just stop there, or
    3) once the raw material inflating the ball reach a maximum it can behave a lot like a collapsing star turning into a black hole, and thus the universe itself falls together, until it reaches the point where everything explodes again.

Disclaimer! I don't know much about this so I will not be held responsible if someone decides to follow my ideas to the letter and then claim that they're right because I said so. 😕 I'm just your average Stocken hoping to get some clues.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree