1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 May '18 09:36
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Rather like Muhammad, John of Patmos supposedly had a supernatural "vision" and then wrote down an entirely uncorroborated account of it. In both cases, these accounts were adopted and became 'holy' scripture.
    It is interested to note the counter intuitive and even counter gospel messages within it. Take the scripture where Jesus is in hell witnessing the eternal torture for an example.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '18 09:441 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    It is interested to note the counter intuitive and even counter gospel messages within it. Take the scripture where Jesus is in hell witnessing the eternal torture for an example.
    It had a bit of convoluted and metuliculously contrived oomph that some factions among the early Christians thought would be good to brandish as did corporate Christianity (officially, eventually) centuries later.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 May '18 09:50
    It had a bit of convoluted and metuliculously contrived oomph that some factions among the early Christians thought would be good to brandish as did corporate Christianity (officially, eventually) centuries later.
    And indeed contemporary Christians today, in this forum, vehemently.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 May '18 09:511 edit
    No doubt the likes of SecondSon and maybe a couple of others will be along in here later to question my integrity as a Christian for discussing this.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '18 10:12
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I expect some Christians here will have a counter argument to support the position that Revelation was written by John the disciple.
    They can perhaps cite their [1] faith and [2] their certainty that it was. They could also perhaps cite some [3] special knowledge they have that's inaccessible to those without [1].
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 May '18 12:22
    The Apocalypse of Peter a.k.a. The Revelation of Peter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_of_Peter

Why wasn't it included in the Bible?

And then the same question with regard to The Gospel of Peter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Peter
    Christians interested in the truth will do two things:
    1. focus on the teachings of Christ
    2 read as much as possible the documents and writings of the early church.

Jesus laid out the path toward eternal life and churches have gone their own way.

While these early writings will not change the teachings of Christ, they will give the reader an inside picture of the mindset of the culture of the early writers, and may provide answers to peripheral questions [not related to eternal life], in which the Christian might be interested.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '18 12:301 edit
    Some of the punishments in hell according to the [Revelation of Peter] vision include:

Blasphemers are hanged by the tongue.

Women who "adorn" themselves for the purpose of adultery, are hung by the hair over a bubbling mire. The men who had adulterous relationships with them are hung by their feet, with their heads in the mire, next to them.

Murderers and those who give consent to murder are set in a pit of creeping things that torment them.

Men who take on the role of women in a sexual way, and lesbians, are "driven" up a great cliff by punishing angels, and are "cast off" to the bottom. Then they are forced up it, over and over again, ceaselessly, to their doom.

Women who have abortions are set in a lake formed from the blood and gore from all the other punishments, up to their necks.

They are also tormented by the spirits of their unborn children, who shoot a "flash of fire" into their eyes. [Those unborn children are "delivered to a care-taking" angel by whom they are educated, and "made to grow up."]

Those who lend money and demand "usury upon usury" stand up to their knees in a lake of foul matter and blood.

"The Revelation of Peter shows remarkable kinship in ideas with the Second Epistle of Peter. It also presents notable parallels to the Sibylline Oracles while its influence has been conjectured, almost with certainty, in the Acts of Perpetua and the visions narrated in the Acts of Thomas and the History of Barlaam and Josaphat. It certainly was one of the sources from which the writer of the Vision of Paul drew. And directly or indirectly it may be regarded as the parent of all the mediaeval visions of the other world." [wiki]

No burning zombie non-believers hung out on chains to chasten space aliens, granted, but plenty of suitably ghastly stuff here to make living the Christian life by torturer god ideologues like sonship 'easier'.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '18 14:19
    Meticulously! 😕
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '18 17:15
    Some of the punishments in hell according to the [Revelation of Peter] vision include:

[quote] Blasphemers are hanged by the tongue.

Women who "adorn" themselves for the purpose of adultery, are hung by the hair over a bubbling mire. The men who had adulterous relationships with them are hung by their feet, with their heads in the mire, next to them.

M ...[text shortened]... y stuff here to make living the Christian life by torturer god ideologues like sonship 'easier'.
    It’s already been pointed out that neither the so-called gospel of Peter nor the so-called apocalypse of Peter were actually written by Peter and are instead forgeries.

One wonders why you do not acknowledge the documents’ lack of authority and fraudulence.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '18 17:16
    They can perhaps cite their [1] faith and [2] their certainty that it was. They could also perhaps cite some [3] special knowledge they have that's inaccessible to those without [1].
    So now you’re speaking for other people?

Well, actually, you tend to do that a lot.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '18 17:19
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Christians interested in the truth will do two things:
    2 read as much as possible the documents and writings of the early church.

Jesus laid out the path toward eternal life and churches have gone their own way.

While these early writings will not change the teachings of Christ, they will give the reader an insid ...[text shortened]... peripheral questions [not related to eternal life], in which the Christian might be interested.
    <<Christians interested in the truth will do two things:
    2 read as much as possible the documents and writings of the early church.>>

Reading the Bible and prayer aren’t important?

How can you be a Christ follower and discount the importance of prayer? Christ prayed often and in earnest, so much so that during one prayer, drops of blood fell from Him.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 May '18 17:552 edits
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    <<Christians interested in the truth will do two things:
    2 read as much as possible the documents and writings of the early church.>>

Reading the Bible and prayer aren’t important?

How can you be a Christ follower and discount the importance of prayer? Christ prayed often and in earnest, so much so that during one prayer, drops of blood fell from Him.
    Whenever I come across a decent question from you I make every attempt to answer you properly. I have decided not to cast you aside as some other posters have already done even though you deserve it. So far nothing worth answering.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '18 19:04
    Whenever I come across a decent question from you I make every attempt to answer you properly. I have decided not to cast you aside as some other posters have already done even though you deserve it. So far nothing worth answering.
    The posters who have “cast me aside” are atheists and Christ deniers (and in some instances liars and trolls,) and their opinion of me means nothing to me.

As for your other comment, if you don’t think a question about prayer is important, I suspect you don’t think prayer is important (or at least not important enough to discuss.)

By not saying anything on the subject, you’re saying a lot.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 May '18 19:23
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    The posters who have “cast me aside” are atheists and Christ deniers (and in some instances liars and trolls,) and their opinion of me means nothing to me.

As for your other comment, if you don’t think a question about prayer is important, I suspect you don’t think prayer is important (or at least not important enough to discuss.)

By not saying anything on the subject, you’re saying a lot.
    This

Reading the Bible and prayer aren’t important? How can you be a Christ follower and discount the importance of prayer? Christ prayed often and in earnest, so much so that during one prayer, drops of blood fell from Him.

Is not a decent question.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '18 19:47
    This

Reading the Bible and prayer aren’t important? How can you be a Christ follower and discount the importance of prayer? Christ prayed often and in earnest, so much so that during one prayer, drops of blood fell from Him.

Is not a decent question.
    Given what you wrote in the post to which I replied...

“Christians interested in the truth will do two things:
    2 read as much as possible the documents and writings of the early church.”

...it’s a perfectly appropriate question.

The Bible instructs believers to pray for wisdom, and in one verse, to pray “without ceasing.”

Asking why you didn’t include prayer among things Christians interested in the truth should do is perfectly appropriate.

I suspect your response is a dodge to avoid saying that you don’t think prayer is important.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree