1. Maryland
    Moves
    09 May '15 14:51
    To my theist friends a simple question. Which is the correct day of the sabbath and why? Also, what is the penalty if you work on the sabbath or take the sabbath on the wrong day?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '15 15:252 edits
    Originally posted by 667joe
    To my theist friends a simple question. Which is the correct day of the sabbath and why? Also, what is the penalty if you work on the sabbath or take the sabbath on the wrong day?
    The weekly Sabbath of the Jews was the seventh day of their calendar week, that is from sunset on Friday until sunset on Saturday. The Jews had a lunar calendar which is different from the Gregorian one so you need to specify which you are referring to. There were also other types of Sabbaths, every seventh year and every fifty. Christians are not under the Mosaic law and are not required to keep a Sabbath. The second part of your sentence as far as Christians are concerned is inapplicable.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    09 May '15 16:02
    Are you saying that Christians are exempted from one of the Ten Commandments?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 May '15 17:27
    In Obama's utopia every day is a work free day. 😵
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '15 17:35
    Are you saying that Christians are exempted from one of the Ten Commandments?
    I am saying that the ten commandments were part of the Mosaic Law given to the Jews. I am saying that Christians are no longer under the Mosaic law. How hard can it be? they are not only exempt from one of the commandments, they are exempt from them all and the entire Mosaic law.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 May '15 18:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am saying that the ten commandments were part of the Mosaic Law given to the Jews. I am saying that Christians are no longer under the Mosaic law. How hard can it be? they are not only exempt from one of the commandments, they are exempt from them all and the entire Mosaic law.
    Thou shall kill?

Thou shall steal?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '15 21:08
    Originally posted by whodey
    Thou shall kill?

Thou shall steal?
    First of all will you please use modern English, this is not 1655 pilgrim! All of these commandments are encompassed in the Christian principle you must love your neighbour as yourself. If you love your neighbour as yourself, you will not kill him and you will not steal from him, will you.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 May '15 23:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    First of all will you please use modern English, this is not 1655 pilgrim!
    Do you understand what he is saying or not?

That's all that matters.

Exercise your brain, just a little. (I know you take it out for a walk now and then, but that's not what I mean...)
  9. Maryland
    Moves
    09 May '15 23:58
    Remember, according to the old and new testaments, woman are inferior to men!
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 May '15 02:311 edit
    Have you read it?

In the ancient world it is true that women were second class citizens. Women relied on getting married and having their husband provide food and shelter and money for their family. However, women in both the OT and NT were seen differently.

Have you ever read the book of Ruth? It is a book about a woman named Ruth that was held in high esteem for being a loyal and loving daughter-in-law. She stayed by her mother-in-law's side even though she was old and their husbands had both died. She could have left her and gotten married and carried on with her life, but she was willing to give up her life to comfort and help provide for her mother-in-law. In truth, both women in ancient times were of no account, but according to the Bible, God saw the love displayed and eventually blessed them both and placed Ruth in direct lineage with that of King David.

Then we have example after example of Jesus showing love to women in ancient times who would otherwise been ignored or killed. Take the woman caught in adultery. She should have been stoned for her sin, but Jesus took pity on her and defended her life and saved it. Take the woman with an issue of blood. Not only was she a woman, she was poor and too boot had the issue of blood, which was frowned upon as making her unclean. Jesus took pity on her, singled her out, and in front of everyone proclaimed that her faith had made her whole. It sent a message to all around him that women mattered. In fact, she mattered more to him than the crowd pressing in on him from all around.

And lastly, Jesus said that in the next life there is neither female or male. In the end, our current sex status is essentially meaningless in terms of eternal fate.

Again, the stories told about women such as these in the ancient world were revolutionary.

You really should read a book before commenting on it.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 May '15 04:034 edits
    What are the verses that say women are "inferior" to men? I have never seen them.

Jesus once said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath," when he was accused of violating the sabbath. He also said that He was Lord of the Sabbath.
    but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

(Exodus 20:10-11 NASB)

The Sabbath was made for man to stop and remember how quickly God made everything. It was not meant to be a restriction on man, but to provide freedom.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree