05 Apr '24 13:53

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    06 Apr '24 16:38
    The Letters of St. Augustine.

St. Augustine was a pivotal figure in the development and shaping of early Christian faith and doctrine. We can see the kind of connection St. Augustine had with the Platonic Academy in this letter, of which, for the sake of the lazy, only a portion is being posted below.

(A.D. 386.)
    TO HERMOGENIANUS! AUGUSTINE SENDS GREETING.

I would not presume, even in playful discussion, to attack the philosophers of the Academy; for when could the authority of such eminent men fail to move me, did I not believe their views to be widely different from those commonly ascribed to them? Instead of confuting them, which is beyond my power, I have rather imitated them to the best of my ability. For it seems to me to have been suitable enough to the times in which they flourished, that whatever issued pure from the fountainhead of Platonic philosophy should be rather conducted into dark and thorny thickets for the refreshment of a very few men, than left to flow in open meadow-land, where it would be impossible to keep it clear and pure from the inroads of the vulgar herd. I use the word herd advisedly; for what is more brutish than the opinion that the soul is material? For defense against the men who held this, it appears to me that such an art and method of concealing the truth was wisely contrived by the New Academy. But in this age of ours, when we see none who are philosophers,—for I do not consider those who merely wear the cloak of a philosopher to be worthy of that venerable name,—it seems to me that men (those, at least, whom the teaching of the Academicians has, through the subtlety of the terms in which it was expressed, deterred from attempting to understand its actual meaning) should be brought back to the hope of discovering the truth, lest that which was then for the time useful in eradicating obstinate error, should begin now to hinder the casting in of the seeds of true knowledge......
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '24 18:41
    @pettytalk said
    The Letters of St. Augustine.

St. Augustine was a pivotal figure in the development and shaping of early Christian faith and doctrine. We can see the kind of connection St. Augustine had with the Platonic Academy in this letter, of which, for the sake of the lazy, only a portion is being posted below.

(A.D. 386.)
    TO HERMOGENIANUS! AUGUSTINE SENDS GREETING.

I woul ...[text shortened]... ting obstinate error, should begin now to hinder the casting in of the seeds of true knowledge......
    Link to where you copied this from?
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    06 Apr '24 19:14
    @divegeester said
    Link to where you copied this from?
    I may have copied it from Unexplained Mysteries. Or perhaps from the Vatican's Library. But seeing that you are a hound dog, why don't you google it, as you recommend to others?

As a true-blue Christian you claim to be, you ought to be familiar with St. Augustine's literary work. Why would you need a link from me?

Some say that God helps those who help themselves.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '24 20:25
    @pettytalk said
    I may have copied it from Unexplained Mysteries. Or perhaps from the Vatican's Library. But seeing that you are a hound dog, why don't you google it, as you recommend to others?

As a true-blue Christian you claim to be, you ought to be familiar with St. Augustine's literary work. Why would you need a link from me?

Some say that God helps those who help themselves.
    You’re a plagiarist with limited thoughts of your own.
  6. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 01:37
    @divegeester said
    You’re a plagiarist with limited thoughts of your own.
    Yes, when it comes to you, my thoughts are indeed limited.

Here is what my thoughts of you are limited to: { blank, blank, blank }

If you were not a virtual idiot, perhaps I would seriously consider taking offense at your insinuations, and challenge you to a duel with words. But seeing that, by your admission, you are not able to tell your right from your left without someone guiding you with hand signals, I would be accused, by some, of being a big bully for picking on such a small-minded, annoying, vile person.

As I expressed before, you can barely float on the sea of discourse, so how could you possibly think that you are able to fathom the limits of my deep thoughts?

In summary, go fly a kite.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 08:15
    @pettytalk said
    Yes, when it comes to you, my thoughts are indeed limited.

Here is what my thoughts of you are limited to: { blank, blank, blank }

If you were not a virtual idiot, perhaps I would seriously consider taking offense at your insinuations, and challenge you to a duel with words. But seeing that, by your admission, you are not able to tell your right from your left without ...[text shortened]... ibly think that you are able to fathom the limits of my deep thoughts?

In summary, go fly a kite.
    Don’t get upset, just stop plagiarising.
  8. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 17:01
    @divegeester said
    Don’t get upset, just stop plagiarising.
    I don't get upset, but I do pity you.

You are only projecting. You have been plagiarizing FMF for the longest time. That's the real story for the label of being his TWIN.

This is just another of your obsessions with me. You accused me of lying about where I currently live, the Phoenix metropolitan area, also known as the Valley of the Sun. I offered you the opportunity to prove I was lying in the form of a bet. You haven't taken me up on it, although you claim to be certain that I don't.

What happened that you are back at it, could you not fly the kite?

YouTube
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 17:10
    @pettytalk said
    You have been plagiarizing FMF for the longest time. That's the real story for the label of being his TWIN.
    Channelling your inner Very Rusty I see 😄
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 17:12
    @pettytalk said
    You accused me of lying about where I currently live, the Phoenix metropolitan area, also known as the Valley of the Sun.
    It’s curious that on your other chat site, where you have also been called out for plagiarism and for being a total dick, your profile says you in Chicago.
  11. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 21:03
    @divegeester said
    It’s curious that on your other chat site, where you have also been called out for plagiarism and for being a total dick, your profile says you in Chicago.
    I'm calling you out! Take me up on the bet, and put your money where your mouth is, provided you have any money to bet with. I already know that you have no brains.

If we are what some perfect strangers say we are on a website, then what they say of you on this site makes you twice the dick they say of me on that other site.

But then, I never really show what I'm really made of to a-holes like you. And they do have a group with more of the likes of you at UM. As I told you before, you would fit in well with the local bullies there. Although I believe they would eventually turn on you too, the minute you told them you were a Christian. That charming close-knit group will easily turn on each other when they lack an outsider to provide them with entertainment.

Talk about upsetting people? I had them eating out of my hand, feeding them their favorite delights. Trolling is an art, just like the art of a pool hustler. And I'm giving you free advice here. You never put forth the best you can be, unless enough real money is placed on the table.

Now, if you care to learn something about your Christian faith, and how it relates to Platonism, you need to behave and pay attention to what is being presented, and not to the presenter.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 21:11
    @pettytalk said
    I'm calling you out! Take me up on the bet, and put your money where your mouth is, provided you have any money to bet with. I already know that you have no brains.
    If I have “no brains”, then you’re on a certain winner.

What’s the bet Mr Mormon?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '24 10:32
    @pettytalk said

If we are what some perfect strangers say we are on a website, then what they say of you on this site makes you twice the dick they say of me on that other site.

But then, I never really show what I'm real ...[text shortened]... latonism, you need to behave and pay attention to what is being presented, and not to the presenter.
    Stop ranting Mr Mormon.

At Unexplained Mysteries your location is listed as Chicago in your profile.

So are you lying over there, or lying here?
  14. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    08 Apr '24 15:46
    @divegeester said
    Stop ranting Mr Mormon.

At Unexplained Mysteries your location is listed as Chicago in your profile.

So are you lying over there, or lying here?
    You are being a pest. I explained it to you when you first brought this up. If I can't make you understand or reason, do I need to resort to more appropriate means to deal with your stupidity and persistent nuisance? I do have a fly swatter at my disposal.
  15. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    08 Apr '24 16:17
    Is there a significant connection between St. Augustine's "City of God" and Socrates' City State in Plato's "Republic"?

Open for discussion to anyone who may find the connection of Christianity with Platonism of some interest. Anyone with expertise on the subject is more than welcomed to lead the pack.

Both Texts are freely available on the internet. For ebooks, one of the sites I use for classical texts is Project Gutenberg.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45304
    https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45305
    https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1497

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree